cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite Hub Gen2 - Can I use this as an access point

smiljka
I've been here awhile

Hi,

I have the rogers ignite services and was wondering if I can us the Ignite Hub as an access point only in my home. What I mean is, plugging the Rogers Nokia ONT fibre modem into my router of choice and this is something I can already do. But now I have a paper weight router from Rogers which I would love to use as a wifi access point by plugging the Ignite hub WAN Ethernet port into my router to be assigned an IP on my local network. Then configuring the wifi on the ignite hub using the web dashboard.

Hope this made sense, and thank you.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ignite Hub Gen2 - Can I use this as an access point

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@smiljka wrote:

I have the rogers ignite services and was wondering if I can us the Ignite Hub as an access point only in my home. What I mean is, plugging the Rogers Nokia ONT fibre modem into my router of choice and this is something I can already do. But now I have a paper weight router from Rogers which I would love to use as a wifi access point by plugging the Ignite hub WAN Ethernet port into my router to be assigned an IP on my local network. Then configuring the wifi on the ignite hub using the web dashboard.

No, there is no way to configure an Ignite gateway as a simple access point.

You should be able to connect the XB7 to your router's internal network, if you wanted to connect your own router directly to the ONT but still needed the XB7 to support other Ignite services, such as Home Phone.  However, it would be problematic to use the XB7's Wi-Fi for device connectivity.  (I'm also not sure what other challenges would need to be resolved to get this weird, unsupported configuration working.)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Re: Ignite Hub Gen2 - Can I use this as an access point

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@smiljka wrote:

No, there is no way to configure an Ignite gateway as a simple access point.

You should be able to connect the XB7 to your router's internal network, if you wanted to connect your own router directly to the ONT but still needed the XB7 to support other Ignite services, such as Home Phone.  However, it would be problematic to use the XB7's Wi-Fi for device connectivity.  (I'm also not sure what other challenges would need to be resolved to get this weird, unsupported configuration working.)

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 in conversation