cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to send email using my own non-Rogers domain

HarvMan
I plan to stick around

Hi,

I would like to send email on Rogers SMTP server using my own domain.

What is required to do this?

Thanks!

***EDITED LABELS***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to send email using my own non-Rogers domain

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
I also hope people understand that having your own domain name and trying to send email from your own domain has absolutely nothing to do with Rogers hence no support for this problem. you can have your own domain and not have rogers internet, you can be with Bell or a re-seller instead, some re-sellers do not even offer you an email address included so yeah to expect Rogers to solve this problem is not right, its an issue you have to handle with your domain name provider, I also feel anyone who orders a domain name and wants to use an e-mail address with that domain, please ask your domain provider or hosting provider to ensure this type of service is INCLUDED with your domain name or can be added as an optional charge if its not part of the basic offering, Trust me on this.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have had to do this before as well.
Internally on a rogers connection, they block almost all other SMTP access.   This is to help prevent a malware/virus spam bot that gets installed on a computer, to use that rogers connection to send out spam emails.

So in your email program, you will want to set up your incoming servers as normal (pop or imap).
Set up the incoming user/password settings as you need to for that service.

But for the outgoing , you will need to enter in the ROGERS outgoing mail server.  Use the following settings, set up in the SMTP settings (may have to go into advanced settings to find some of them)
Outgoing Server smtp.broadband.rogers.com or smtp.nl.rogers.com
Outgoing Port 465
SSL Yes
SMTP Authentication Email address: Enter your full Rogers Yahoo! email address
Username: Enter your full Rogers Yahoo! email address
Password: You’ll need to create an app password in the Rogers Member Centre. See steps below.

1. Go to the Rogers Member Centre sign-in page.
  2. Enter the Rogers Yahoo! email address and password for the account you’d like to create an app password for, then select Next.
  3. Mobile: Select the menu icon ( 

) in the top-left corner, then select Account Information.
    Desktop: Select Account Information in the top-right of your browser window.
  4. Select Authorized Applications.
  5. In the Name your password field, label your app password with the name of the email program it’s for, then select Generate. A pop-up containing a randomly generated app password will appear.
  6. Write down the password or copy it to your clipboard.
  7. Enter this password during your email set-up when prompted. When finished, select Done in the pop-up.

HarvMan
I plan to stick around

Hi @Gdkitty ,

Thanks for your response.

However, as you know, when setting up an Outlook email account you specify the email address.

In my case I need to use an email address with my domain, such as: myname@mydomain.com

How do I create a Rogers email account: myname@mydomain.com  ???

Thanks!

HarvMan
I plan to stick around

@RogersCorey

Are you able to answer my question?

Thanks!

Good morning @HarvMan!

Unfortunately, if you're attempting to set up a non-Rogers email, that falls outside of our purview. We can only directly assist with setting up a Rogers email address.

Have you attempted to reach out to your email provider for help with the setup?

Regards,

RogersCorey

HarvMan
I plan to stick around

Thanks RogersCorey,

I am contemplating using Rogers for email.

However, I can only commit to Rogers if I can use my domain email address.

Can you find a Rogers resource to answer my inquiry.

Thanks!

You still should be able to do it in OUTLOOK.

You will want to set up your email in there, as you would for your own domain email (with whatever settings you get from them, for their email.   Run though the initial setup, even if the outgoing stuff is wrong.

After its set up, you should be able to go into the settings for that account, and into the advanced settings.  And change the outgoing, to use a different email, etc for validation.

Rogers will only provide an @rogers.com email address.  If you dont have one set up, you can call tech support and they can help you set up one (that you would really only be using then as to validate and use for accessing the outgoing server).  They cant change the domain part.
If you dont have an email with  your own domain already,  you will have to look through who your domain is registered with, hosting services for your webpage, etc?  They may provide that as well.

HarvMan
I plan to stick around

Thanks Gdkitty!

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello,

Just a small FYI I'd like to share.  Its really NOT advised to use the Rogers.com email settings with your own domain name instead of the rogers.com one.  your setting up yourself for problems. this is not the "proper" way to use your own domain name to send email, its kind of a "hacked" or "workaround" which is shunned upon by many big ISPs.  I have heard that at any point Rogers and other Canadian ISPs CAN and Have override your outgoing address with the one on your account instead.  Forcing prople to scramble to a different and correct solution which might cost money.

I have owned my own Domain name for over15 years. Most domain registrars provide their clients with a FREE incoming and outgoing SMTP or Web mail based email service,  if they do not, then you may have paid a discount for your domain name and they do not include such features, so you may have to pay more, once you get an email service from your domain host  / registrar, you would then use THEIR EMAIL SERVER SETTINGS in your outlook program and NOT THE ONES FROM ROGERS YAHOO MAIL.

Hope this makes sense.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I agree Pauly, that you should use your own domain SMTP server...

IF it works.

When I used to run a few domains for some people.. it was hit and miss.
One of them I was able to use fine from a rogers connection.   
But the other one was blocked.

Using the domains SMTP server isnt always an option 😞

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
I also hope people understand that having your own domain name and trying to send email from your own domain has absolutely nothing to do with Rogers hence no support for this problem. you can have your own domain and not have rogers internet, you can be with Bell or a re-seller instead, some re-sellers do not even offer you an email address included so yeah to expect Rogers to solve this problem is not right, its an issue you have to handle with your domain name provider, I also feel anyone who orders a domain name and wants to use an e-mail address with that domain, please ask your domain provider or hosting provider to ensure this type of service is INCLUDED with your domain name or can be added as an optional charge if its not part of the basic offering, Trust me on this.

That answer is not good enough.  Sorry

Many companies have their own e-mail accounts and use Rogers wireless since we are not aloud to have our own internet service

I have exactly the same question. Has the OP found the solution?

I tried Gmail relay service. The test result is not I am expected. If I send a email from my NAS email server with my domain, the received email always showing the sender's email is from my Gmail, instead of the actual email from my domain. And the email I sent is stored in Gmail's sent box. I prefer the email I sent does not store anywhere except my local email server. So Gmail relay service is not my option.

HarvMan
I plan to stick around

No solution ...

My client uses Rogers Internet service and GoDaddy email and web hosting.

Unfortunately, I am unable to move their email over to Rogers ... and using their domain.

This question can be closed.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Go daddy domains have the ability to send and receive email. it has nothing to do with rogers. go daddy provides you the mx records. you need a mail server to send from. check which package of your domain to see whats included some give u mail access the cheaper ones likely dont so u have to pay someone for mail hosting

HarvMan
I plan to stick around

I am quite aware of everything you point out.

Please close this discussion.

Before closing the discussion, I'd like to share my solution.

I purchased inbound and outbound package from Dynu. With the package, you can set SMTP port to send/receive emails. $10/yr for each package which fit my need very well.

Topic Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 in conversation