cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to limit wifi to trusted devices only in ignite modem

johnt5394
I've been here awhile

Hi, all

I recently migrated my home internet from FIDO to Rogers. There was a feature in the old FIDO router allowing me to limit wifi access only to the trusted devices. But I can't find the similar setting in the Ignite router or the Ignite HomeConnect App. It is really awkward to pause the devices manually especially when they have randomized MAC .

Any suggestion? Thanks for help

***Edited Labels***

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How to limit wifi to trusted devices only in ignite modem

RogersJermaine

Hi @johnt5394,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums, and congratulations on the migration! We do hope you are enjoying the services so far. With the trusted devices, are you trying to limit their usage time to the internet connection or are you looking to not have them connected at all? 

You can always set up your trusted devices under specific profiles and create an active limit for them, or, as you mentioned, you can also pause the devices. You can also turn on notifications for network activity to notify you when a device is connecting to your network for the first time. You can view more of the features available in the Ignite HomeConnect app here.

Regards,

RogersJermaine

Thanks for replying. Yes, I try to setup trusted devices for parent control. Since most cell phones and PCs can randomize their MAC address nowadays, the pause function in the ignite App is almost useless. It is desired to have the function to MAC filtering the untrusted devices to force them to turn off the MAC randomization. I worked well in the old FIDO router, but the Rogers ignite router disables the manage device in the setting

Thank you for your feedback @johnt5394!

If you find that our modem is missing features that you desire, you can always opt to put the modem in bridge mode and connect a router of your choice to it.

Regards,

RogersCorey

@RogersCorey wrote:

Thank you for your feedback @johnt5394!

If you find that our modem is missing features that you desire, you can always opt to put the modem in bridge mode and connect a router of your choice to it.

The problem is that it is really difficult to lock down the network with the current implementation.  Most homes will have devices that fit into various buckets, such as Trusted (unrestricted), Kids (restrict inappropriate content, restrict Internet access to certain times of the day), Guest, and Untrusted (Internet access severely restricted or permanently paused), etc. Yes, you can set up Profiles and assign devices to those Profiles.  However, the last time I tested this (which was YEARS ago), I was not able to find any way to assign new/unknown devices to the Untrusted profile by default.

Another problem is that the Ignite Gateways use DNS to implement site blocking, and it is trivial to bypass Ignite parental controls using a VPN or services such as iCloud Private Relay.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation