cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I change assigned Public IP address

yuanw
I'm here a lot

I'm using Ignite WiFi Gateway modem. I found that my current public Ip address is blocked by china firewall. so that I can not reach many chinese website. Is there a way to change my public ip?

***Edited Labels***

9 REPLIES 9

Re: How can I change assigned Public IP address

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It is possible to change the public IP if you use a router.  However, it won't do any good as any public IP that you change to is still within the Rogers IP address range.  So, if China is blocking all of Rogers IP addresses, it won't matter what public Rogers IP address you happen to have.  

The best bet might be to use a VPN with multi-hop capability so that the IP exit point is within a country that China doesn't block.  But, I'd expect China to block known VPN IP addresses in a good number of countries, including countries that China might consider as friendly to Chinese concerns.  I might be wrong, but that's what I would expect.  So, you would need to know which countries aren't blocked by China's Great Wall, and which VPN's aren't blocked by the Great Wall.  The easiest way to find out might be thru the Chinese expat community.  Ask around to see what they can suggest. 

Maybe someone else in the forum might have some suggestions.

use a router? you mean set the modem to bridge mode and use my own router? I'll give it a try.

I believe that my current ip has problem, my friend also with Rogers doesn't have the problem.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, that is what I mean, modem kicked into Bridge mode, router running in full router mode.  

Its possible that your current pubic IP is banned by the Great Wall, and maybe, by changing the public IP, you might be able to access Chinese sites.  The easiest way to do this is to clone a MAC address from one of your LAN devices.  There is usually a function in the WAN section of the router settings to do this.  Save the data and then reboot the router.  The change in the router MAC address will result in a different WAN (public) IP address.

After the reboot, try accessing the Chinese sites.  If it doesn't work, I'd say that it would depend on the range of IP addresses that the Great Wall is blocking.  You won't know that until you're there, with the router running with its own MAC address, or with a cloned MAC address. 

Try running the router with its own MAC address first.  There should be a shift in the public IP address when you go from the modem's public IP address to the router's public IP address. So, try the router with its own MAC address first.  Then if that doesn't work, clone a MAC address from a device on your LAN.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@yuanw : Please provide a couple of the URLs that are causing you problems. We can check them out to see if other Rogers customers are having issues.  What is the message you are getting (if you get one at all?)

yuanw
I'm here a lot

I'm getting time out, even I ping those website ip,  time out as well.  I called in Rogers tech support before I realize I might be blocked by China firewall. I'm still waiting for the ticket be answered.

e.g.

http://douban.com/

https://pan.baidu.com/

https://www.csdn.net/

http://bilibili.com/

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@yuanw : I had no problem getting to all four of your websites.  They took slightly longer than North American websites, but all loaded within a couple of seconds.  Here's a sample screenshot so that you believe me.

DoubanDouban

Make sure you don't have any issues with your browser and try another browser.  Here's a link that contains lots of tips for when you have website issues.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/MyRogers-Rogers-Apps/Tips-for-Rogers-Websites-amp-Apps/m-p/491...

yuanw
I'm here a lot

I knew you can, but I can't. that's the problem. I can reach those website if my computer connected to my cell hotspot. That's why I want to change my public ip.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@yuanw wrote:

I'm using Ignite WiFi Gateway modem. I found that my current public Ip address is blocked by china firewall. so that I can not reach many chinese website. Is there a way to change my public ip?

Rogers' DHCP servers tend to assign the same IP address to a MAC address over and over again so the only way to get a new IP addressed assigned to your gateway is to 1) convince Rogers to break this association and hope that their servers will assign a you new IP address, 2) get a new Ignite Gateway, 3) put your gateway in to bridge mode and use your own router, which will have its own unique MAC address and will get assigned a new/different IP address, or 4) connect to Chinese servers through a VPN service.

The problem is that this not a "Rogers problem" so they are unlikely to go out of their way to help you with this.  Also, even if they do, just this one time, if you keep doing whatever it was that you did to annoy Chinese authorities and get your IP address blocked in the Great Firewall, your address will keep getting blocked again and again.

yuanw
I'm here a lot

Finally, Rogers agreed to change modem so that make me ip changed. problem solved. Thank you all for helping.

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 in conversation