cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitron modem with Vonage adaptor

Ketanjoshi1
I've been here awhile

Hello, 

I got Rogers Internet installed today. Rogers has provided a Hitron router. The issue is that my IP home phone from Vonage has stopped working. I am going back and forth with both the technical provider and non of them are able to provide any help. 

It is very frustrating as Rogers technical support used to do the settings in the past. Now they refuse to do it. 

I am not a technical person. Can someone help me with what exactly I have to do? 

Thank you, for the help in advance 

***Edited Labels***

Ketan 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Hitron modem with Vonage adaptor

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Ketanjoshi1 give this a go:

1.  Log into the modem and navigate to the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION tab. 

2.  Disable the UPNP and SIP ALG settings.  The culprit is most likely an enabled SIP ALG setting.  

3.  Save the changes.  

4.  Navigate to the ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET tab and Reboot the modem. 

5.  After the modem reboot, log into the voip adapter just to ensure that its picking up an IP address from the modem.  You might have to restart the voip adapter as well, just a guess.  The adapter should be running with its Auto DHCP setting enabled, that is to say that it will accept the IP address assigned to it by a modem or router.  Log out when you're satisfied that the adapter does in fact have a modem assigned IP address.  The ability to identity and log into the adapter should indicate that it does in fact have a new IP address as assigned by the modem.  Keep the IP address in mind at this point.

6.  If necessary, log into your Vonage account and if it has an entry somewhere which contains the voip adapter Local Network address that you just used, make sure that you change that Vonage (local IP) address to the new IP address that the voip adapter is now using.  Voip.ms has such an address entry, most likely used as yet another security check to prevent spoofing someone's voip adapter.

7.  Just to note, when you switched to Rogers, your external Wide Area Network (WAN) address will have changed from your previous ISP address.  If Vonage uses that address for security purposes, you can find the modem's WAN address on the STATUS tab, shown as the HFC MAC Address.

Ok, that should do it.  Please post an update, indicating success or failure, in which case I'll have to think about this ...... 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Ketanjoshi1 give this a go:

1.  Log into the modem and navigate to the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION tab. 

2.  Disable the UPNP and SIP ALG settings.  The culprit is most likely an enabled SIP ALG setting.  

3.  Save the changes.  

4.  Navigate to the ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET tab and Reboot the modem. 

5.  After the modem reboot, log into the voip adapter just to ensure that its picking up an IP address from the modem.  You might have to restart the voip adapter as well, just a guess.  The adapter should be running with its Auto DHCP setting enabled, that is to say that it will accept the IP address assigned to it by a modem or router.  Log out when you're satisfied that the adapter does in fact have a modem assigned IP address.  The ability to identity and log into the adapter should indicate that it does in fact have a new IP address as assigned by the modem.  Keep the IP address in mind at this point.

6.  If necessary, log into your Vonage account and if it has an entry somewhere which contains the voip adapter Local Network address that you just used, make sure that you change that Vonage (local IP) address to the new IP address that the voip adapter is now using.  Voip.ms has such an address entry, most likely used as yet another security check to prevent spoofing someone's voip adapter.

7.  Just to note, when you switched to Rogers, your external Wide Area Network (WAN) address will have changed from your previous ISP address.  If Vonage uses that address for security purposes, you can find the modem's WAN address on the STATUS tab, shown as the HFC MAC Address.

Ok, that should do it.  Please post an update, indicating success or failure, in which case I'll have to think about this ...... 🙂

Ketanjoshi1
I've been here awhile

Thank you, for helping me out. My issue is now resolved. 

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 in conversation