cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitron CODA-4582U - cannot create multiple SSIDs

rogintgeek
I've been here awhile

Trying to create a separate SSID to contain traffic from different devices on the modem but as in many instructions - there is no option to create a secondary SSID under Multiple SSIDs in the Wireless section. Seems the firmware still remains similar to the posts on this topic since 2015...would have expected better....anyways stuck with not being able to create a new one...any help is appreciated.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Hitron CODA-4582U - cannot create multiple SSIDs

RogersMoin

Hello, @rogintgeek.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community. 

Are you trying to separate 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks? The band steering option needs to be disabled to separate the two bands; the option is under the Wireless/Advanced menu.

If you are trying to create another SSID for 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz bands, this feature is not supported. The multiple SSID option you find in the Basic Settings is for the EasyConnect & Home Security, and it can't be modified. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RogersMoin

Hello, @rogintgeek.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community. 

Are you trying to separate 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks? The band steering option needs to be disabled to separate the two bands; the option is under the Wireless/Advanced menu.

If you are trying to create another SSID for 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz bands, this feature is not supported. The multiple SSID option you find in the Basic Settings is for the EasyConnect & Home Security, and it can't be modified. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

rogintgeek
I've been here awhile

Thanks @RogersMoin  - however I am surprised with your response. 

The data sheet for the modem identifies 8 x SSIDs per channel ...and on the previous versions of the hardware Rogers used to install I see posts where you have helped customers setup Secondary SSIDs..so things dont seem to add up - it seems to be a Rogers forced firmware hack..unless Rogers is taking customers back in time not forward with technology.

I am trying to segregate my home security setup to a separate SSID not to interfere with regular use...

some links:

https://www.hitron-americas.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/CODA-4582-Datasheet.pdf

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Hitron-CGN3ACR-missing-2-4G-amp-5G-multiple-SSID-sett...

@rogintgeek there shouldn't be any surprise here.  Rogers and other ISPs routinely choose not to enable the various features built into modems.  Simply put, that keeps the long term cost of engineering testing and customer support to an absolute minimum.  So, while Intel and Broadcom are designing and building some pretty impressive capability into modems these days, the ISPs go the other way and dumb down the modems to keep the long term costs down.  A very unfortunate result to say the least.  

In the case of the Arris and Technicolor XB6 modems for the Ignite TV service, those modems do have additional SSIDs that are broadcast, which is part of Intels plan to take over the home modem world, but, those SSIDs are a pain as their reserved by the ISPs for future capabilities.  The users have absolutely no control over them nor any knowledge of what home services those SSIDs are going to support.  Basically, a case where you need to be careful of what you wish for.  So, now that Intel is planning to sell the division that is responsible for the Arris modem, which is an Intel designed modem, that brings about the question of "now what".  What does that do to the Intel - Arris - Comcast Xfinity system, which is what the Ignite TV system really is?

rogintgeek
I've been here awhile

Thanks @Datalink . what surprises me is Rogers offered to add SSID for older models and do not on newer models...link for post in my earlier reply.

There is a newer firmware version for the 4582 that is in the test stage at the current time.  I don't have it loaded yet .... one of these days.   No one who has this version has indicated that they've seen any additional SSID capability.  Maybe its something that no one has looked for, or, perhaps it just wasn't included in the new firmware build.

In this day and age of smart homes, it is absolutely mandatory to have two networks because you don’t want your guests controlling your private devices. 

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation