cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP: Rogers Email powered by Yahoo!

ahall2023
I'm here a lot

We have recently cancelled Internet service, which I understand means our Rogers email account will be shutdown any day now too.

Unfortunately, it seems that there's no way to extract data to my knowledge - I have read a plethora of posts from 2023 that seems to communicate connecting to the Rogers email account via any email client is no longer possible (including Outlook, Mac Mail, and/or 3rd party services like Gmail Import, etc.).

I'm hoping and praying that someone has figured out how to extract data from their rogers.com email account because otherwise, I think this is alarmingly bad for the end-user / consumer.

Please somebody save the day!!

**Labels Added**

11 REPLIES 11

Re: HELP: Rogers Email powered by Yahoo!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ahall2023 wrote:

1. We have recently cancelled Internet service, which I understand means our Rogers email account will be shutdown any day now too.

2. Unfortunately, it seems that there's no way to extract data to my knowledge

1. Not necessarily, it may stay for some time, but you are right to be "worried".  However, if you have a friend or relative who is still on Rogers, you can move your e-mail account to them (through Rogers).  After the move, change the password and you will have access via Webmail.

2. You can have your e-mails on a device like a tablet or phone, like most people now do. For example, although my Outlook is still working on my desktop computer (fingers crossed), I also have Apple Mail set up on my iPad.  I have this "duplicate" set up as a fail-safe and also to quickly check for e-mails when I'm not at my desktop computer.

Mail on a device does not require an app password, but rather the simple password that you utilize for Webmail.  This will have all of your e-mails "downloaded" to that device.  This may take hours to "sync" depending on how many e-mails you have in Webmail.  I don't believe the attachments to e-mails are automatically downloaded, rather you would need to "tap to download" any attachments in each e-mail. 

Obviously, you'd need to do this soon in case your Rogers e-mail is "shut down".   It sounded like you're on Apple, but if not, I believe there are similar apps available for Android devices. It's possible to set up another account on the same device/app for your new e-mail address, wherever it is...

3. See my summary of this app PW mess in the following link:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-mail-not-connecting-to-Mac-Mail/m-p/515736#M76...

ahall2023
I'm here a lot

Thanks for the reply!  Unfortunately, it seems Rogers has ROYALLY screwed over its customers in this regard and I think it's unfortunate that there wasn't a more fair transition to what seems to be a neutered email service.  I imagine there are countless loyal customers who are not technical and are completely unaware of how bad of a situation this is for all Rogers.com email users. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Wow, in 3 minutes you were able to read my post, my link in that post and compose your reply post... 😉

@ahall2023 wrote:

...I imagine there are countless loyal customers who are not technical and are completely unaware of how bad of a situation this is for all Rogers.com email users. 

I don't think they are countless any more since almost everyone uses a device instead of a desktop or laptop.  If they were countless, Rogers would have had to do something about the situation.

ahall2023
I'm here a lot

Yes - I have burned a tremendous amount of time on this issue today and you were not providing any new information.

Unfortunately, setting up on a mobile device does not provide any ability to export data or backup, especially when/if the service itself is terminated due to cancellation.  Therefore, suggesting that setup on a mobile or tablet device is a "solution" to the context I've described is incorrect in many ways.

I specifically said "unaware" because I believe strongly this is arguably fact - Rogers can see from the countless threads in this forum, including March 2023 through as recently as yesterday that there are many people who are aware and very frustrated that there isn't a solution or any perceived help from Rogers.  The situation evolved from a service interruption and has evolved to Rogers (and you specifically) saying there isn't a solution and/or any reason to believe there ever will be a solution.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ahall2023 wrote:

Unfortunately, setting up on a mobile device does not provide any ability to export data or backup, especially when/if the service itself is terminated due to cancellation. 

Backup to a computer or the cloud is an option with most mobile devices (especially Apple).

ahall2023
I'm here a lot

If it's that easy, why was this not suggested in the countless other threads about the topic at hand?  In any case, let's go through this:

1. Setup on let's say iPhone (as PC and MAC clients no longer an option)

2. Set the iPhone to retrieve any/all data (eg. not limit to 30 days) - we are likely to NOT receive attachments without opening each email individually

3. Provided iCloud is turned on and fully synchronizes (hard to depend on this when archiving potentially thousands of emails spanning over a decade)

Now what?  How does one migrate over to another service like Google Mail (free version)?  Importing into Gmail is not possible FROM Rogers, so we are obligated to do things manually.  My assumption is the following:

1. Somehow extract from iCloud a PST or something similar

2. Use some kind of 3rd party software and/or setup the new Gmail account as IMAP in Outlook, then import the emails into the account - let it synchronize from there

I would never characterize this process is easy or simple, and certainly not something most Rogers customers affected by the service change would be able to navigate without engaging an IT professional.  Unfortunately, none of the normal import or migration tools will work properly, and we're depending on iCloud, which is never intended to perform what I'm describing - it's more of a disaster recovery tool versus a migration / transfer tool.

What are your thoughts?  Look forward to hearing from you.  Thanks!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ahall2023 wrote:

1. Setup on let's say iPhone (as PC and MAC clients no longer an option)

2. Set the iPhone to retrieve any/all data (eg. not limit to 30 days) - we are likely to NOT receive attachments without opening each email individually

3. Provided iCloud is turned on and fully synchronizes (hard to depend on this when archiving potentially thousands of emails spanning over a decade)

Now what? 

1. OK - say using "Mail"

2. Sync on the device with Webmail should occur automatically once set up and yes, this may take some time.  It may even require clicking on the various file folders in Mail to synch all of the e-mails - depending on how you have your folders set up in Webmail.  IIRC this is all set up as IMAP and you should be able to see Mail "populate" as things proceed.

3. Sorry I do not use iCloud.  When I mentioned backup I was simply referring to backing up the entire device to a computer or iCloud in case the device fails and you can then restore to another device.

As you mention, extraction is not easy or simple.  What I was driving at in my posts is that there is an option to use a device to "contain" all of your previous e-mails from Webmail and also possible to back up the entire device.  It is also possible to then have your new e-mails - wherever they are - also on the same device via a second account and/or a desktop/laptop that has an appropriate app to an appropriate e-mail provider like say Gmail that does not require an App PW.

Perhaps search the web as I just did in the link below?  Nothing in this process seems to be "easy".  Good Luck.

https://ca.search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AwrFE74hBUxlO8cMqXrqFAx.;_ylc=X1MDMjExNDcyMTAwMgRfcgMyBGZyA3...

The following link may, or may not be useful and seems to be dated. I have never tried this:

https://www.macworld.com/article/232199/how-to-save-email-downloaded-to-an-iphone-or-ipad-via-pop-or...

ahall2023
I'm here a lot

Unfortunately, the bottomline is that this has left Rogers email users in a significant and arguably awkward position.

1. Unable to connect with industry standard email clients (Mac Mail, Outlook, Windows Mail, etc.)

2. Unable to connect via import through GMAIL or other similar services, including Yahoo Mail itself

3. Unable to use the majority of other third party email services intended for backup and migrations

The only option is to connect via mobile / tablet, which is very limited and makes migration to other services extremely limiting, especially for non technical people (which is likely a large majority of people who have rogers.com email addresses) and it nearly obligates users to remain married to the service indefinitely.

In addition, disabling email forwarding has made the transition to other services even more awkward - for example, if my rogers.com email is being replaced by a gmail.com address, I am unable to forward emails temporarily as I transition.

What you've described ignores the fact that you're still married to the service, unless you're willing/able to go through all of the hoops to move away from it - this is a reality that isn't confronted with almost every other email service - free or paid).  For the majority of the previous 15-20 years, it would have been completely possible to do what is normally possible with other services - the change is odd, dramatic and the plethora of related posts corroborate my opinion. 

Rogers could have communicated these changes proactively to enable users the opportunity to transition normally - instead it appears to have been a sudden change (roughly April 2023) that was initially positioned as temporary and eventually acknowledged of most likely permanent.  As more and more users discover this, there will inevitably be more frustrated posts in this forum.

In any case, the problem was avoidable and users who are aware are livid.  I think it's incumbent on Rogers to either provide a clear and concise path forward, or at least temporarily enable functionality necessary for users to move away from the service themselves without having to navigate a relatively complicated maze of technical challenges.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ahall2023 : I agree with you. For the sake of clarity:

1. Email forwarding ended January 1, 2021 and you cannot even pay a premium to get it with Rogers!

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/How-do-I-Setup-Email-Forwarding-to-a-Gmail-Account/m-...

2. The app PW issue first surfaced with Rogers in early March 2023.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Can-t-create-App-password/m-p/504809#M73860

JTVan
I've been around

For Shaw email customers, e.g. email@shaw.ca, it doesn't seem likely, given all of the above, that Rogers would long term maintain the web browser based email interface or the email servers. Currently Shaw customers can connect via Outlook and download all their email without any issues.

What is the format of a Roger's email address? Is it email@rogers.yahoo.ca? What about email@rogers.com or email@rogers.ca? And am I understanding correctly that the only way to access this email is to use a limited functionality web based client provided by Yahoo?

Do the following instructions no longer work?

https://ca.help.yahoo.com/kb/rogers/download-email-rogers-yahoo-mail-third-party-sln28681.html

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JTVan wrote:

1. What is the format of a Roger's email address? 

Do the following instructions no longer work?

https://ca.help.yahoo.com/kb/rogers/download-email-rogers-yahoo-mail-third-party-sln28681.html

1. The format is email@rogers.com.

2. I'm not sure about those, however, here are my comments in previous links:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-mail-not-connecting-to-Mac-Mail/m-p/515736#M76...

3. People who have the latest version of Outlook have been able to use that client to download their e-mails.   The Rogers App Password functionality has not been working since early March, however, it doesn't affect everyone.   See:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Can-t-create-App-password/m-p/517930/highlight/true#M...

It is possible to use Webmail.

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation