cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faster uploads being offered, but my plan still listed as 50MB?

mdawson
I'm here a lot

It looks like higher upload speeds are being rolled out in my neighborhood which made my happy to start. If I go the the website and look at plans for my address they now say up to 150MB up.  I also noticed that my upload speed seemed a bit better but not 150MB.

I called to talk to tech support to see if its the lines in our neighborhood, my house or something that could be fixed to get me to 150. 

Tech support flat out refused to investigate and told me my plan is only 50MB.

Does it make any sense that they would be selling plans with a higher upload speed in my neighborhood but leave my current plan at 50MB upload only? I had assumed that as higher upload speeds were rolled out we could get those speeds in our existing plans.

*** Edited Labels ***

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Faster uploads being offered, but my plan still listed as 50MB?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mdawson wrote:

Does it make any sense that they would be selling plans with a higher upload speed in my neighborhood but leave my current plan at 50MB upload only? I had assumed that as higher upload speeds were rolled out we could get those speeds in our existing plans.

Rogers has been rolling out the 150 Mbps upload speed progressively across their territory.  It's a provisioning change, and it hinges on Rogers being able to allocate additional spectrum for upstream channels above 42 MHz.  It's possible that Rogers cannot yet offer the higher upload speed in your area for technical reasons... but if that is the case, then they should not be advertising that higher speed until they can.  Hopefully you will see the higher upload speed soon.  You can also try power-cycling your modem to see if you get a new channel config.

I had assumed that as higher upload speeds were rolled out we could get those speeds in our existing plans.

Yes, you should get that higher upload speed with your existing plan.

FYI, the MyRogers app still shows me as having the 50 Mbps upload speed even though my upload speed got upgraded.

mdawson
I'm here a lot

@Re Thanks for your response. What you describe is what I had expected.  What I did not understand was the refusal by support to even investigate what might affecting my line with the statement my plan was 50MB up even though they are advertising 150MB up for my address.  

I would have easily accepted a "we checked and its a technical limitation in your area right now" but the "we won't even look because you are limited to 50 just made no sense". Support even pushed me off to the sales/retention team to discuss moving up to a different plan as the solution 😞

I guess at this point I'll just wait a bit and maybe try again later, but frustrating that despite better service potentially being available, I have no way to explore if its something that can be improved in the wiring in my home, or externally.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mdawson wrote:  Does it make any sense that they would be selling plans with a higher upload speed in my neighborhood but leave my current plan at 50MB upload only? I

It makes sense because Rogers guarantees the download and upload speeds (within certain parameters).  I'm on the 1.5/50 plan and get 1.9 down and 178 (or so) up, starting a few months back as they upgraded my area near Yonge & Lawrence.  While this is new and while they probably cannot guarantee it, my plan will remain as 1.5/50.  I'm happy that I get over 150 up (not guaranteed) and will not quibble that my package is not labelled as such.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Interestingly and coincidentally, I got the following email today:

"We are happy to inform you that we've upgraded the network in your neighbourhood, which means you can now enjoy faster upload speeds.

This change comes at no additional cost to you and no action is required on your end.

Thank you for choosing Rogers."

mdawson
I'm here a lot

Ironically I got that same message about being able to enjoy faster speeds today as well. I guess I can call in again and see if that will make any difference in terms of what support is willing to do.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation