cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faster upload

cianfaranim
I plan to stick around

Hi!

I had Ignite installed today, and it appears to be some hybrid fiber setup. Yellow fiber cable to a coax box to the modem. Despite the fiber, I'm limited to 30mbps upload. Anyone know if in these hybrid fiber environments Rogers has plans to allow faster upgrade?

I'm stunned it's still set so low, Bell has Fiber here as well and it comes into a box which outputs to ethernet. The speeds they offer are symmetrical. I chose Rogers because the TV product is more familiar to me and preferred.

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Faster upload

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@cianfaranim wrote:

Hi!

I had Ignite installed today, and it appears to be some hybrid fiber setup. Yellow fiber cable to a coax box to the modem. Despite the fiber, I'm limited to 30mbps upload. Anyone know if in these hybrid fiber environments Rogers has plans to allow faster upgrade?

I'm stunned it's still set so low, Bell has Fiber here as well and it comes into a box which outputs to ethernet. The speeds they offer are symmetrical. I chose Rogers because the TV product is more familiar to me and preferred.

The service that you have is RFoG, not a PON-based service like Bell's FTTH.  You have a traditional cable service that is is delivered to your home over fibre, and then that signal is converted to coax with a simple device, called an RFoG ONU.  You still require a cable modem to connect to the Rogers network and you are subject to the limitations of Rogers' DOCSIS-based cable Internet offering.

Eventually, your area will get upgraded with newer technologies that will allow for higher upload speeds.  However, for now, you are stuck with the speeds that you currently have.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Re: Faster upload

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@cianfaranim wrote:

Hi!

The service that you have is RFoG, not a PON-based service like Bell's FTTH.  You have a traditional cable service that is is delivered to your home over fibre, and then that signal is converted to coax with a simple device, called an RFoG ONU.  You still require a cable modem to connect to the Rogers network and you are subject to the limitations of Rogers' DOCSIS-based cable Internet offering.

Eventually, your area will get upgraded with newer technologies that will allow for higher upload speeds.  However, for now, you are stuck with the speeds that you currently have.

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 in conversation