cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comcast officially unveils its new XB10 Gateway and XER10 Router

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here's some really cool news: Comcast has finally unveiled its new DOCSIS 4.0 / Wi-Fi 7 gateway -- the XB10.

https://www.lightreading.com/cable-technology/comcast-unveils-first-docsis-4-0-gateway-tests-high-fi...

This new gateway is based on Broadcom's new DOCSIS 4.0 chipset, and will support both Full Duplex DOCSIS (aka FDX, which uses frequencies up to 1.2 GHz -- what Comcast is now starting to roll out (and what Rogers presumably will too)) and Extended Spectrum DOCSIS (ESD), which can use frequencies up to 1.8 GHz but allocates separate bands for Upstream and Downstream channels.

Comcast also unveiled a new Wi-Fi 7 Router, the XER10, which appears to be purpose-built for FTTH installations.  (An XB10 without the cable modem??)  I have not been able to track down any detailed specs yet but, like other Wi-Fi 7 routers on the market, I would presume that this device will have at least two 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports.  If you look close, you will also see that this router has a telephone jack for Home Phone.

Rogers currently provides (XGS-PON) FTTH customers with an XB7 or XB8 gateway, and uses the (one and only) 2.5 GigE port as a WAN connection to an external ONT.  This leaves customers with only Gigabit Ethernet and Wi-Fi connectivity for their devices, making impossible for them to use their multi-gig service to its full potential.  It looks like the XER10 router is just what Rogers needs.

I will post more information as it becomes available.

**Labels Added**

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Comcast officially unveils its new XB10 Gateway and XER10 Router

RogersJermaine

Hello @-G-,

Thank you for getting this thread started. A lot of great features as you have highlighted in your post. Once we have more details than we will be able to update the community on the product. 

RogersJermaine

KingofRome
I plan to stick around
This is very exciting! I wish Roger’s was just further along in their upgrades of their network to support these kinds of advances in hardware.

LordDrakkon
I'm a trusted contributor
Unfortunately, Rogers is way behind Comcast in the deployment of anything close to the latest trchnology. We might aee these in a few years, if we are lucky! My apartment in Scarborough still isn't capable of more than 50 Mbit up, which absolutely sucks on a 1.5 Gbit down connection!

KingofRome
I plan to stick around
I agree. I’m In the same boat. And the proposed 150mbps UP as upgrades doesn’t come close to the needs of many consumers who work from home or want to take advantage of the present day use of cloud storage.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While neither the XB10 nor XER10 were specifically mentioned, Rogers, today, announced a 10-year agreement with Comcast to "bring the latest award-winning Xfinity products and technology to Canadians across the country.", including Comcast'a  10G Internet product and technology portfolio.

Rogers to Bring World-Class Comcast and Xfinity Products to Canada

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 4 in conversation