cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use a Purchased Modem?

Apex
I've been here awhile

I recently upgraded to a high end gaming router and my wifi and speeds have substantially improved.

To do this I put the Hitron GB router (4582U) on bridge mode and am currently using it in conjunction with my router on modem only mode.

I invested in a high end router so am wondering if to would make sense to invest in a high end cable modem or would it be relatively the same? Any bottlenecks that the Hitron in bridge only generated that a high end cable modem would fix? Any experience with doing this would be appreciated.

*** Edited Labels ***

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Can I use a Purchased Modem?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers will not allow you to use your own modem. This has been discussed several times previously in other threads.  Although WiFi capability may vary, this doesn't apply when used bridged and I doubt there would be any performance difference modem-wise.

Apex
I've been here awhile
Appreciate it, thanks!

Texaco
I've been around

I dont know why this dude below said this  there many  modems you can use on rogers....  here is one example https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09RX2Q1M5/?coliid=I1AKMK7A3KQXJR&colid=1ZQW0O5WRB0W4&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&...

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Texaco wrote:

I dont know why this dude below said this  there many  modems you can use on rogers....  here is one example https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09RX2Q1M5/?coliid=I1AKMK7A3KQXJR&colid=1ZQW0O5WRB0W4&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&...

Rogers will only allow those modems to be activated by Third Party Internet Access providers, typically referred to as TPIAs.  Rogers will not allow their own Internet customers to activate those modems on their accounts; it is simply not an option that they are interested in supporting at this time.

dijo
I've been around

no thumbs down but this half butted lazy gen wgaf or what ever.

so amazon specifically sell coda modem listed to work on rogers

so highly unlikely that a proper modem identical to models the sell or provide imo should be allow

also have doubts about amazon listing something which if you were correct would be useless???

but hey im no expert cant even spell

Hitron WiFi Gateway CODA-4680 TPIA (Rogers/Cogeco/Shaw) : Amazon.ca: Electronics

not 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dijo You can only use the CODA-4680 TPIA modem if you are the customer of a Third Party Internet Access provider. (e.g. Start, Teksavvy, EBOX, oxio, etc.)  If you are a direct Rogers customer, Rogers will not activate it on your account.

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 in conversation