cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xi6 Ignite TV Boxes - Always On / Always Streaming?

robtoe
I'm a reliable contributor

Tried a few searches on this, so apologies if this is already addressed.

In my case I have several Xi6-T boxes, and I was installing a new TV.    I connected it to the box, and turned on the TV with its remote (did not setup the Ignite remote yet).    The last TV channel I was watching was already playing.

I assumed I left the Xi6 on (I realize there's no hard "off"), so once I got everything setup, I used the "power" button (top right) to turn off the TV and Xi6.    As a second test, I used the TV remote to just turn on the TV: the previous channel was still streaming.

Are Xi6-T boxes always streaming, even when "off"?

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Xi6 Boxes - Always On / Always Streaming?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@robtoe wrote:

In my case I have several Xi6-T boxes, and I was installing a new TV.    I connected it to the box, and turned on the TV with its remote (did not setup the Ignite remote yet).    The last TV channel I was watching was already playing.

I assumed I left the Xi6 on (I realize there's no hard "off"), so once I got everything setup, I used the "power" button (top right) to turn off the TV and Xi6.    As a second test, I used the TV remote to just turn on the TV: the previous channel was still streaming.

The problem is that the "Power" button on the Rogers XR15 remote does not turn the Xi6 set-top box off; it actually sends a "Power On/Off" to the TV and a "Power On" to the Xi6.  You can turn the Xi6 off by issuing the "Power Down" voice command but if you then you press the Power button on the remote, it will turn the TV off and turn the Xi6 right back on again.  After a several hours of no signals from the remote, a message will come up on the TV screen asking if anybody is still watching.  If there is no further input, the Xi6 will so into standby mode on its own.

The older XR11 remotes have separate "TV Power" and "All Power" buttons so with those, you can issue the "Power Down" voice command (or use Settings > Device Settings > Power Preferences > Power Down Now) to turn off the Xi6 and then turn off the TV using the "TV Power" button.

FYI, ages ago, the "All Power" button used to send a "Power On/Off" to all devices.  However, because some devices are controlled by IR and the Xi6 is (usually) is controlled via RF, if the remote was not pointed just right, you could easily get into a state where the TV is on but the set-top box is off, and vice versa, and this confused and upset many customers... so Comcast elected to just let the set-top box turn itself off after a period of idle time.

The separate power buttons on the XR11 remote were also deemed to be too confusing.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@robtoe wrote:

The problem is that the "Power" button on the Rogers XR15 remote does not turn the Xi6 set-top box off; it actually sends a "Power On/Off" to the TV and a "Power On" to the Xi6.  You can turn the Xi6 off by issuing the "Power Down" voice command but if you then you press the Power button on the remote, it will turn the TV off and turn the Xi6 right back on again.  After a several hours of no signals from the remote, a message will come up on the TV screen asking if anybody is still watching.  If there is no further input, the Xi6 will so into standby mode on its own.

The older XR11 remotes have separate "TV Power" and "All Power" buttons so with those, you can issue the "Power Down" voice command (or use Settings > Device Settings > Power Preferences > Power Down Now) to turn off the Xi6 and then turn off the TV using the "TV Power" button.

FYI, ages ago, the "All Power" button used to send a "Power On/Off" to all devices.  However, because some devices are controlled by IR and the Xi6 is (usually) is controlled via RF, if the remote was not pointed just right, you could easily get into a state where the TV is on but the set-top box is off, and vice versa, and this confused and upset many customers... so Comcast elected to just let the set-top box turn itself off after a period of idle time.

The separate power buttons on the XR11 remote were also deemed to be too confusing.

robtoe

Wow, thanks for the quick, and detailed reply!

Do you happen to know the "several hours" number?    Imagine how many thousands of Ignite customers are unnecessarily using bandwidth, when in fact their TV is off.

While this isn't an issue for the customer given unlimited data packages with Ignite, there is added power consumption, and certainly the Rogers network is taxed more than it need be.   (You'd think there would be some incentive on their end to fix.)

Very interesting.   A bit disturbing actually.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@robtoe  It's several hours; longer than the longest movie that I've ever watched.  I don't know for sure because 1) I've never timed it myself and 2) I also have a problem tying up network resources and wasting bits, so I use the "Power Down" command to turn off the STB and turn off my TV with a separate remote.

Not everybody is like us.  You may find the following thread amusing: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Ignite-TV-Screen-Saver/m-p/441563

robtoe

I checked my 3 Xi6T boxes, and all had Power Saver set to "off" (Rogers -> Settings -> Device Settings -> Power Preferences -> Power Saver).

I don't think I set them to "off", so I'll assume that it's the default setting.

I'd appreciate an official reply from Rogers please:

1.  Is Power Saver indeed set to "off" by default?

2. What are the implications of Power Saver set to "off"?

3.  If Power Saver is set to "on", after how long does it kick in, and what exactly does it do?

robtoe

I was able to grab some additional technical details from a friend at Rogers, so thought I'd share:

• The stream does not get torn down until 4 hours of inactivity have passed.
  • While manually powering down the Xi6 (or Power Saver) will turn it off, the stream continues to your gateway regardless.

So inevitably, there is some bandwidth use even when you've powered down the Xi6.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@robtoe wrote:

I was able to grab some additional technical details from a friend at Rogers, so thought I'd share:

• The stream does not get torn down until 4 hours of inactivity have passed.
  • While manually powering down the Xi6 (or Power Saver) will turn it off, the stream continues to your gateway regardless.

So inevitably, there is some bandwidth use even when you've powered down the Xi6.

The Xi6 definitely remains connected to the network but I can also definitely confirm that the stream gets torn down immediately after issuing the "Power Down" command.  (The amount of bandwidth consumed drops to practically nothing.)

robtoe

Yep, was about to say the gateway piece should be easy enough to confirm, so if you've checked it, I won't bother myself.   (I'll seek clarity from my Rogers contact.)

Still, crazy to think a stream could continue for 4 hours (per box) when not in use, but that's not our concern - it's a larger Rogers infrastructure issue and they don't seem to be bothered.

robtoe

Instead of reverting to the TV remote, I'm hitting the Power button on the Ignite remote to turn off the TV, then I say "Power Down" into the remote, <right arrow>, then <enter>.   This powers off the Xi6 box, albeit blindly.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@robtoe  FYI: I don't know what changed recently but as of two days ago, the "Power down" command started taking me to "Power Preferences" instead, despite showing that it did recognize my command correctly.  Other variations, such as "Power down now" or "Power off" don't work either; the Xi6 responds with, "Sorry, I can't control TV power yet."

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here's another little tip for anybody with an XR15 remote who also would really like to be able to turn everything off, including the set-top box, despite a remote design that makes this a bit of a challenge:

• Issue the "Sleep now" voice command.  ("Power down" also still works.  These commands will now both take you into Power Preferences.)
  • Select "Sleep Now" and confirm the "Sleep Now" command
  • IMMEDIATELY press the Power button on the remote (as the STB is in the process of going to sleep.)

The Power button still sends the "Power On" command to the set-top box but it also is still on when you press the button (even though the STB is in the process of going to sleep) so the "Power On" has no effect.  The STB continues to go to sleep and the other components also turn off as well.

robtoe

Thanks for this.   I assume we have a pretty small window to power the components down, but that's a good tip.

On a related note, does anyone know what turning on the Power Saver changes (Settings -> Device Settings -> Power Preferences)?

Seems that streams remain up for 4 hours, so curious if shortened?   (I'll test now and report back.  Turned on a stream at 1200 EDT, then turned the box "off", as a normal user would.)

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@robtoe wrote:

Thanks for this.   I assume we have a pretty small window to power the components down, but that's a good tip.

For me, the window is approximately 3 seconds.

robtoe

OK, for the record, the stream was torn down just now, 4 hours after initiating it.

However, that's with Power Saver enabled.  

Assuming the 4-hour mark is the default tear-down time for the stream, I'm not really sure what Power Saver is actually saving.

We have far more pressing things to deal with, but I'll follow up with Rogers at some point down the road.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Nor do I and the Xfinity X1 Power Saver FAQs does not provide any clarity either.

I also do not know the difference between Settings / Labs / Power Saver Mode: Standard and Maximum Savings.  Since there is "Labs" setting, I presume that the Xfinity team is working on improvements and that the "Maximum Savings" behaviour, whatever that is, will eventually be the default when "Power Saver" is set to On.

skw
I've been around

Hi, I set Power Saver OFF and box was showing streaming on constantly, light on. So, I set back Power Saver ON and HDMI control ON and the box goes OFF. I hope this will help.

Re: Xi6 Ignite TV Boxes - Always On / Always Streaming?

Mc13
I plan to stick around

In 2022 this is still a problem. It would be nice if they allowed CEC. I just got Ignite and I am disappointed at the lack of control. I think it is possible for some of these boxes but not Rogers (why???):

Manage Power Preferences on X1 and Flex - Xfinity Support

Or they could reprogram the D button to allow me to send power off to the box only. Anyways, the way I turn it off now is power off all. Then after all is powered off, MIC button+"Sleep NOW", <Right arrow>, <OK>.

Too much so I will just let it power off after 4 hours

Mc13
I plan to stick around

@skw , which box do you have, where do you have this HDMI COntrol setting? I have Xi6-T and it does not have HDMI Control or CEC  enable in the settings

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Mc13 wrote:

In 2022 this is still a problem. It would be nice if they allowed CEC. I just got Ignite and I am disappointed at the lack of control. I think it is possible for some of these boxes but not Rogers (why???):

The Ignite set-top boxes actually do support HDMI-CEC and have for quite some time now.

You may not see a setting at first when the STB initially comes up from a factory-default state but an option to turn On/Off HDMI-CEC setting should eventually appear in Settings / Device Settings / Power Preferences / HDMI Device Control (HDMI-CEC).  When this is enabled on both the TV and STB, powering off the TV should also cause the Ignite TV STB to power down as well.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Mc13 : Just as an FYI, if you go to Rogers - settings - device settings - power preferences, you will see that the power saver only saves 1.53 kWh/year. This is equivalent to less than 0.2 Watts - which is probably the amount the white LED on the box uses.  I have measured the power consumption of the box on or off and it's always 4 Watts.

Mc13
I plan to stick around

@57 Thanks for the info. I went to settings again and sure enough the HDMI CEC appeared now.

It was not there yesterday. Magic!

Topic Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 5 in conversation