cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XB6 Modem - Noisy?

robtoe
I'm a reliable contributor

Contemplating the jump to Ignite, but aside from the picture quality concerns I've seen here, I saw a reference to the XB6 modem using fans, and it being noisy.

My existing modem is passively cooled, so a noisy XB6 one would be a showstopper.

Any input from existing users?

***Added Labels***

50 REPLIES 50

Re: XB6 Modem - Noisy?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@robtoe  I think that depends on your definition of "noisy".  Yes, there is some fan noise but it's not horribly loud and it's not an annoying whine.  The Arris XB6 is also quieter than the Technicolor model.

dm000
I've been here awhile

I just switched to Ignite TV on Dec 30th 2019.

The performance is great however the XB6 modem fan is quite noticeable . I have it in a den upstairs and when the tv is off, the modem noise is obvious.

It also seems to be variable, speeding up and them slowing down. These things are running 24x7 and it also seems to get quite hot.

I have plugged into a high quality surge protector.

Since these modems are not in Rogers stores, you need to schedule a tech to come out to swap to a new one.

Bit of a pain. 

Only other issue I had with XB6 was a firmware upgrade than tech support had to push manually. Once again, that was a call to Rogers.

Hello and welcome to our Community @dm000!

I'm curious. Do you have the modem in an open location or enclosed in a cabinet of some sort?

I just want to eliminate any environmental causes of heat build-up that may be causing your fans to run at a higher RPM.

Regards,

RogersCorey

arecad
I plan to stick around

Yes it is noisy. It has a fan that is constantly on and it also gets louder at random times. I have had many routers and modems throughout the years and this is the first one I can actually hear. It's placed behind my tv in a wide open space. When the TV is off, you can hear it clearly.

robtoe

Thanks for the feedback - the noise is a dealbreaker for me, at least in my current modem location, which is the office where I need it to be quiet.

The other trick is around putting a noisy fan-based component in an enclosed space.    That's not really helping cooling, so a bit of a catch-22.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@robtoe  It's kinda hard to judge what your acceptable noise threshold is.  The XB6 is a very capable device and with all that processing power packed into a fairly compact footprint, active cooling is required.  What REALLY drives me nuts is the high-pitched tone that some power adapters can make... that are everywhere.  For me, a bit of low-level fan noise is not a big deal.  Yes, the fan on the Technicolor XB6 is noticeable, especially if you are constantly listening for it, but the fan on your average PC is louder.  The Arris XB6's fan is quieter; I've heard people breathe louder.

robtoe

Yep, understood.   Some people more susceptible to coil whine on a GPU, for example.

In my case, I've built a custom water loop to keep my PC dead silent, so for me, I suspect it is indeed a dealbreaker in the location I had planned.

dm000
I've been here awhile

Hi - the modem is in an open location with plenty of air circulation. In fact the Rogers tech who installed it had no concerns with the location.

Same spot as my previous ignite 500 internet "white" modem, which did not make any noise.

robtoe

As promised, I'm reporting back post-Ignite install about the XB6 modem...

It certainly has a fan, but it is barely audible up close, i.e. ear near the device.    This was while the device was warm, and servicing serveral wireless clients, one ethernet gaming session, and 1 TV session, so under load.

I would say that it would likely NOT bother most people if next to their PC.   In my case I'd probably barely hear it, but it is not a problem in the living room where it is located currently.

Will the fan bearing(s) get louder with age?   Maybe.

Was the device at max fan speed/temp when I tested it?   Maybe not.

So it may not be your experience, but it is a non-issue in my scenario.

BTW, there are some older, squared off modems (look more like the earlier Hitron) that apparently have distinct fan concerns, so that may be part of the reputation.

Hope that helps.

JB68
I've been around

I recently upgraded to Rogers Ignite, and I also noticed the hum from the modem.  I'm sensative to noises and when the TV is off, this is very apparent to me, with a high pitched whine.  I'm debating of switching to Bell, where I hear they get near 1Gb/s bandwidth.

robtoe

I'm sensitive to noise too, but can only hear mine (even when hot) if I put an ear near it.

Before switching, I'd at least try a new gateway in case that one has a failing fan bearing.

Hello @JB68!

Congrats on your first post with us and a warm Welcome the to Community!😊 I've had my Ignite service for eons now and it's been great! A noise like that is certainly concerning! Aside from the humming from the modem, do you happen to be experiencing any other issues? Does this transpire all the time? Are the wires on the back of the modem all tightly connected? 

We'd hate for you to leave us! We have an Ignite Gigabit Internet package you may be interested in as well! Looking forward to hearing from you! 👍

Regards, 

RogersJo

robinrichardson
I've been around
I JusT got an ignite modem installed ; it’s been an hour and I going nuts ! I have very sensitive ears ; and there is no way I can live with this ; what am I going to do !!!????

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
How close are you to it? Try it in a different location. I only hear mine if nothing else is making noise and it is about 3 feet behind me. I also have two computers turned on, fans occasionally going in them. Right now the furnace it running and the vent is louder than the fan in the XB6. In fact, I do not think I have heard it all day.

We have the XB6 modem too. My wife absolutely hates it. The high pitched, variable noise is ever present. My wife wanted to go back to our old internet set up within an hour of install. I am not impressed with this modem in any way. I really wish Rogers would do some consumer focus testing before adopting a modem like this. I tend to think a lot of people who hate white noise would have shot it down. I loathe the idea of swapping the modem out as I dont like wasting an hour of my time waiting for a Roger's employee to answer my call, then scheduling a technician. The move to Bell is starting to sound like an idea.

Hey @768888333944!

Welcome to the community!

A high pitched variable noise... that's certainly not something I've experienced myself with my XB6 modem though it's also possible I'm not as sensitive to such a frequency as others within this thread, yourself included. To my understanding the fan noise should be very subtle, and not necessarily audible. If the noise is uncomfortable we definitely want to ensure that it's addressed! I wonder if there may be an issue with the fan itself... Or perhaps there's something obstructing it's ability to rotate properly/or the fan curvature is altered in such a way to cause the whine.

Can you confirm for us if the modem is in an open space (not enclosed in any way), elevated (not on the floor), nor nearby anything heat emitting? If it's receiving sufficient cooling I would recommend reaching out via @Rogershelps on Facebook/Twitter for assistance. This way you can reach out and reply whenever you have availability.

@RogersAndy

whatever123
I've been here awhile

Hello

Hope everyone is staying safe and well.

We just upgraded to Ignite, and the new modem has a really annoying hum / whine.

It's on a top shelf, not inside a cabinet etc, and the noise is very obvious and annoying.

There is no way this can be noisy like this on all day while working at home, it's actually driving me nuts after only 15 minutes of being setup.

This seems to be a known issue from what I see above, does anyone know what the remedy is ?

Does the new Gen2 one resolve this issue ?

I can't believe this wasn't an issue during Q&A / testing, assuming that happened.

Hoping to get an answer on this, cheers !

@whatever123 wrote:

Does the new Gen2 one resolve this issue ?

The XB7 also has an internal fan.  I do not know whether it is any louder or quieter but it would not surprise me if the manufacturer used the same part in both the XB6 and XB7 gateways.

robtoe

I was initially concerned, but mine is inaudible even when demand on the gateway is high, and fan is presumably ramped up.

In fairness, it's not in a quiet office, but instead is in a larger room with (probably) some ambient noise.

That said, if it bothers you, or is distinctly audible, then you might have one with a bad fan bearing.    I'd suggest a replacement, and if possible have them plug it in to hear at least the default tone before you take it home.   (Assuming that can be accommodated these days.)

Hello, @whatever123

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I can understand how inconvenient it can be to have to deal with noisy equipment in your home.

Some people can be more sensitive to the sound than others but I can confirm that the XB7 is significantly quieter than the XB6 model. The fan in the XB6 generates a noticeable sound whereas the XB7 sound is barely noticeable at all.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

Topic Stats