cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watching Ignite TV, Move to another room?

Paddle4Peace
I've been here awhile

I'm new to Ignite.  Rogers told me that, like Bell Fibe, I would be able to start watching a program in one room, then move to another and pick up where I left off.  Is that really possible, and if so, how?  If I'm watching a recording, then I can pause and continue.   But, if I'm watching something live, how can I do that?   Thanks.

BTW, I was also told (twice) that I would get 200 hours of recording capacity per box....NOT!   Only 200 hours per account.

*** Edited labels ***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Watching Ignite TV, Move to another room?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Paddle4Peace wrote:

1. I'm new to Ignite.  Rogers told me that, like Bell Fibe, I would be able to start watching a program in one room, then move to another and pick up where I left off.  Is that really possible, and if so, how? 

2. If I'm watching a recording, then I can pause and continue.   

3. But, if I'm watching something live, how can I do that?   

4. BTW, I was also told (twice) that I would get 200 hours of recording capacity per box....NOT!   Only 200 hours per account.

1. Assuming you have an IgniteTV box in each room and the programme is recorded, you set up both boxes to be able to access all your recordings, instead of only recordings scheduled by that specific box. Remember the recordings are in the cloud on Rogers servers. The recordings are not in the box. This preference can be set either way, any time and is not password protected.  So, yes, this is easy to do.

2. Yes, as mentioned above

3. Not sure what you mean by this.  Wouldn't you just tune to the live channel in the other room?  If you want to watch the programme later, you just press the record button and the rest of that programme is recorded and you can watch it on any box at any time.

4. The recordings are in the cloud as I mentioned earlier, so the number of boxes is irrelevant.  Note that recordings are deleted after one year.  See link below:

https://www.rogers.com/support/device-guides/en/connected-home/tutorial/ignite-tv-streaming-device/1...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Paddle4Peace wrote:

1. I'm new to Ignite.  Rogers told me that, like Bell Fibe, I would be able to start watching a program in one room, then move to another and pick up where I left off.  Is that really possible, and if so, how? 

2. If I'm watching a recording, then I can pause and continue.   

3. But, if I'm watching something live, how can I do that?   

4. BTW, I was also told (twice) that I would get 200 hours of recording capacity per box....NOT!   Only 200 hours per account.

1. Assuming you have an IgniteTV box in each room and the programme is recorded, you set up both boxes to be able to access all your recordings, instead of only recordings scheduled by that specific box. Remember the recordings are in the cloud on Rogers servers. The recordings are not in the box. This preference can be set either way, any time and is not password protected.  So, yes, this is easy to do.

2. Yes, as mentioned above

3. Not sure what you mean by this.  Wouldn't you just tune to the live channel in the other room?  If you want to watch the programme later, you just press the record button and the rest of that programme is recorded and you can watch it on any box at any time.

4. The recordings are in the cloud as I mentioned earlier, so the number of boxes is irrelevant.  Note that recordings are deleted after one year.  See link below:

https://www.rogers.com/support/device-guides/en/connected-home/tutorial/ignite-tv-streaming-device/1...

Paddle4Peace
I've been here awhile

Thanks for that 57. Re: 2, Yes, I could simply tune to the same program, but I would lose some seconds of it while I moved (it could be a hockey game!).  I had expected it would be a matter of pausing in one room, then resuming in another.  Instead, it seems that I will have to start recording in the first room, navigate to it in the second, then remember to delete it when I am finished -- not as smooth as it could be.

Not sure if anyones service will allow pausing/continuing on another TV?
But yes, recording would be the best otherwise unfortunately.

200 hours is surprisingly a lot.  Like if you take 1h programs, thats 200 recordings.  Thats a lot of TV.

Even with the older box, when the stuff was stored locally, the devices were never meant to be a permanent storage forever for recordings. 

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The rep may have just exaggerated how it works, he may have made it sound a simple as pausing on one tv and resuming on another but I don't think that is all, there might be more steps required, but like any company, a lot of the reps you talk to on the phone, are supporting a product they have never used themself, and have probably minimal training on this, or heck ,they might even be in another country and do not have any access to using the ignite technology and are maybe guesstimating how the features work.

Take everything with a grain of salt. if you really want to know how to do this, why not just pick up the phone and call Rogers and have a knowledgeable rep explain to you the steps required, 

Ftremblay1
I've been here awhile

I agree Paddle4Peace, the ignite system is not as good as the Gateway was in that regard, I wish I could go back. 

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 in conversation