cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stingray graphics do not show on TV

gswaters
I'm here a lot

I am a Shaw cable subscriber and have a Premier TV subscription. 

My equipment is the Arris Gateway HDPVR and 4 Arris portals.

While I am receiving in all other respects full functionality in programming as far as I can tell, I am no longer receiving the graphics (e.g., the album artwork, etc) associated with playing a Stingray music channel on all my (smart HD) TVs. What I do receive in terms of information on a Stingray music channel is a 4-item bulleted list with text information on Title, Artist, CD, and Label, respectively, but no graphics and no information about the next song to be played, etc.

Yes, the songs do play.

The problem started a few months ago. At first it was intermittent but now it has become permanent. 

It applies to all Stingray channels.

I have done all the usual steps: refreshed the boxes, unplugged the power supply and coaxial cables and reconnected and rebooted all to no avial.

I have phoned Shaw and was told it's a Stingray problem.

I have phoned Stingray and was told it is a Shaw problem.

Is anybody else having this problem?

If so, then it is likely a system problem. If not, then it is a "me" problem.

Comments and/or suggestions?

*Added Labels*

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Stingray graphics do not show on TV

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gswaters : Just as an FYI, in Ontario (and Atlantic Canada too, I believe), there are no Stingray channels any more. There is only an App on the Box instead and it has some advantages (since you can skip songs, it has a song progress bar).  It has the graphics in the app, so it performs similar to an App on a device like a tablet or phone.  You also have access to many, many more channels.

I believe this takes less bandwidth (and headend resources) than the various "channels" on the box and this may also be why your graphics are gone.

I believe there are two Stingray channels still left on my box (one English, one French), perhaps as a test of some sort. See the following thread on the topic for Eastern Canada:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/More-Stingray-Music-Changes/m-p/505535

gswaters
I'm here a lot

Hi Resident Expert. 

Thank you for your comment.

I have no "App" on my boxes. Only channels in the guide.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gswaters wrote:

Hi Resident Expert. 

Thank you for your comment.

I have no "App" on my boxes. Only channels in the guide.

@57 's comments apply to Ignite TV; you have a "legacy" set-top box/DVR.

I'm based in Ontario so I don't know how your Stingray channels are received or delivered.  They can originate from Stingray as a conventional channel.  Your set-top box can render Stingray channels through an app.  They can also be received from Stingray over a network link using web technologies, and either rendered on a smart set-top box  (that allows some interaction) or rendered by the broadcaster in the head-end, encoded, and broadcast as a conventional channel.

In the last case, weird things can happen when the music stream and associated metadata get out of sync or if there are application or network issues that prevent dynamic content from being fetched.  It could be a Rogers problem, a Stingray problem, or both.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gswaters I have always found the people at Stingray to be most helpful.  I usually send them an e-mail at the address below, along with a screenshot of the problem if applicable:

support@galaxie.zendesk.com

I apologize if my previous post created confusion, it was simply to illustrate what we have here in the east with IgniteTV (which most people now have) and also some conjecture as to why the graphics may be gone.

gswaters
I'm here a lot

I will try the email address. Thank you.

I wonder if the root of the problem is that my equipment is legacy equipment?

gswaters
I'm here a lot

This is what I get now. No graphics.

image.jpg

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gswaters Do you get any dialog boxes on your screen (prompting you to press OK, or any other buttons on your remote) immediately after changing to a Stingray channel?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I also saw this on the Shaw Legacy TV box upgrade program page:

In order to provide you with the best TV experience possible, we’re streamlining our TV hardware product offerings. Some of our legacy TV boxes are nearing the end of their life cycle and will be retired, meaning TV programming will no longer be accessible with those TV boxes. This includes regular TV shows, Video On Demand, Pay-Per-View events, and Stingray Music.

So... perhaps the simple screen that you are seeing is the new normal???

gswaters
I'm here a lot

could be

gswaters
I'm here a lot

I receive them as conventional channels.

gswaters
I'm here a lot

I have emailed the support email as you suggested. They have not responded other than to tell me that they have received the email and will get back to me.

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation