cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stingray Package

Flavour1
I plan to stick around

As Stingray Music is now part of Ignite Tv with 1000’s of channels from Stingray from the TV app and available with your TV provider on mobile devices.

We are on the Flex 10 package and to get Stingray when we moved over to Ignite Tv Rogers called it Stingray Plus approximately 40 channels at $3 a month. Last spring when going to the Channel Guide and selecting a channel it would kick you to the Stingray app. After calls to Rogers which was no help. I contacted Stingray Music directly and they explained the changes and that Stingray music was now free to all Canadians. I then called Rogers to cancel and they asked why and I said it is now free ( now saving $3 a month) I have contacted a lot of our friends to cancel their Stingray Plus $3 a month and use the app. I would hope Rogers has notified as courtesy to their subscribers that are getting the Stingray Plus package and paying $3 a month is not neccessary anymore as you get 1000’ s of  channels on the  ( app) compared to what they are receiving on Stingray Plus.

**Labels Added**

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Stingray Package

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Although I'm not certain about this, I believe that the "free" version has "commercials" or "Stingray announcements" every few songs.  This doesn't happen for most of the year for those who have Stingray as part of their Rogers package.  For a few weeks each year around Christmastime, I believe the "Stingray Announcements" which last about 5 seconds are present on some channels, but for the rest of the year the streaming of songs is uninterrupted.  Also, I believe that subscribers have unlimited skips to the next song. Not sure about "free".  I rarely use the app on the TV any more, rather I stream using an old iPad connected via Bluetooth to a stereo receiver.  I don't listen to music on-the-go.

Let us know if the free version is "commercial free" and allows unlimited skips?  Stingray is included in my package, so I don't have the option to save $3/mo.

Edit - Here's a link that I just found for the various types of subscriptions:

https://musicsupport.stingray.com/hc/en-us/categories/360001009033-Account-and-Subscription

Flavour1
I plan to stick around

https://www.stingray.com/about-us/press-room/news-and-press-releases/top-rated-stingray-music-mobile....  Here is information from Stingray. My question is Rogers still charging $3 for Stingray Plus with Flex tv packages as Stingray wasn’t included with any Flex packages. Similar to the Prime Time package with the U.S. which is $3 a month extra on Flex packages. It looks like Rogers are now including in the New and Improved packages “ Starter ( for U.S. channels - Buffalo) Popular and Total packages.  So my question is cancel the $3 a month for way less channels (40 with Stingray plus and use the tv app now and the mobile app which has 2000+ channels. 
There was no change to our bill when Stingray Music and Rogers did this but Rogers continued to charge us $3 a month for the Stingray Plus.

if I go into the All Channel option on our tv guide those 40 channels ( Stingray) show up but when you click on them it sends you to the Stingray app. 
So my question is if subscribers were paying $3 a month extra for Stingray Plus with any Flex package ( which as of November 1, 2023 is not offered to new customers, but customers that still have these packages can keep them. Will Rogers discontinue the $3 a month for Stingray Plus as it automatically kicks you to the app anyways that offers now 2000+ channels instead of what Stingray plus offered with only 40 channels

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Flavour1  Here are my comments.

1. Your link is from October 2019.

2. My link is current.

3. Your link mentions that:

*All features of the mobile app are available in the ad-supported free version.

So, there are differences between the free version and versions that are paid or part of a provider package.

4. If you have a line item in your Rogers bills for $3/mo, I suppose you could delete that option and subscribe for free, but be prepared for the ads mentioned in both links, and my comment 3.

Flavour1
I plan to stick around

So basically anyone that is on Flex 5, 10, and 20 + Sports and is still  playing $3 a month extra as Stingray Music channels were not included in there tv package. Now that Stingray Music has moved to the tv app format and you are still in these Flex packages which are remaining to existing customers, but not available to new customers as of November1, 2023. you can go into the Apps section by pressing the Rogers button on your remote control scroll over to apps then click on The Stingray app and select one of the 2000 channels. If I have the Stingray app on my IPad I can download the app from the App Store, it will ask if you have a tv provider ( Rogers) sign in and password bring iPad up near speaker to verify and start listening. No ads either format I use.

so basically anyone that is still on the Flex system and is still paying $3 a month extra for Stingray Plus as Stingray was a add on with any Flex package. 

Again as I have mentioned to this many of our friends that are still on the Flex system stop paying for only 40 channels cancel your Stingray Plus package and save  $3.

So as I explained earlier we cancelled our Stingray Plus last spring with only 40 channels save $3 a month now get 2000+ channels on the Tv app and same with iPad mobile. No ads or commercials.
We have now saved $3 a month by cancelling the price didn’t go up with our Flex 10 package and we get more.
I hope Rogers is informing theirs subscribers of these changes so that Flex Tv subscribers are not paying for Stingray Plus and getting less for their money.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Flavour1 wrote:

...you can go into the Apps section by pressing the Rogers button on your remote control scroll over to apps then click on The Stingray app and select one of the 2000 channels. If I have the Stingray app on my IPad I can download the app from the App Store, it will ask if you have a tv provider ( Rogers) sign in and password bring iPad up near speaker to verify and start listening. No ads either format I use.

By doing this you are getting the "Premium Subscription through a TV operator" as indicated in the link in my first post.  This is why you don't get any ads. You are not subscribing to the "Free ad-supported subscription".

I agree that anyone who has a line-item for Stingray in their Rogers bills and who are paying $3/mo, you can probably unsubscribe since it seems that Rogers provides Stingray whether you pay for it or not...

I've always subscribed to the packages that contain Stingray, so I've not had a line item to think about.

PS. Instead of pressing all the buttons you mention in your first line, you can simply use the voice command and say "Stingray" to get to the app or even say "Stingray Greatest Hits" to get to that channel...

Flavour1
I plan to stick around

Hi RE 57,

So basically everybody receives Stingray Music now with Rogers through the Stingray App, as many packages were bundled like that years ago.

when Roger introduced the Flex 5, 10, 20 & Sports, Stingray was not part of any those packages. It was like a theme “called Stingray Plus @ $3 a month. Also the 4+1 U.S. stations (Buffalo- Prime Time Pack at $3 a month)were not included. 

Now in your New and Improved packages the 4+1 are included. Rogers called them distant station that couldn’t be pick up over the air. Funny I received those channels on a Digital package before switching over to Flex. Now these channels are included in your new and improved packages. Weren’t they distant channels before with Flex and now they are included in these new packages - Starter, Popular and Total,  doesn’t make sense except to confuse your subscribers. Now that these channels are included are they aren’t distant stations anymore, when will the $3 charge be removed from this Prime time package for Flex subscribers.

So my last question is. Will Rogers notify all Flex subscribers that had subscribed to Stingray Plus with less content and paying $3 a month can now cancel or remove it from their service as Stingray Music is available and included via the TV app or on their mobile device.

Please remember that I made numerous calls to Rogers last spring about this issue and you were no help at all. In fact I was told I would loose all my Stingray channels. I finally wrote an email to Stingray Customer Service who sent me out all the information I was inquiring about. And now I am  $3+ tax ahead every month with lots more content and  our monthly bill went down not up with our Flex 10.

Flavour1
I plan to stick around

Hi 57,

So basically it is up to the subscriber to do their homework regarding the Stingray Music channels pay $3 on Flex for very little in selection on Stingray Plus.

Again will Rogers make an announcement to their Flex subscribers that subscribed to Stingray Plus that they no longer have to do this as Stingray is included with Roger at no additional cost. And will the charge of $3 be removed for the Prime Time Package on existing Flex accounts which is include in all packages now.?

Very simple question. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am not a Rogers employee, so I cannot answer the question. Perhaps it's simply that Rogers provides Stringray to all customers, or doesn't bother turning it off if you cancel.

I doubt they will do anything about the prime time pack as the price will be "grandfathered" until the customer changes their package.  After all they didn't make grandfathered people pay the $3 for the prime time pack when the pricing changed the previous time.

Flavour1
I plan to stick around

The Stingray issue on my part has been dealt with. I feel sorry for subscribers on Ignite Tv that have not been properly informed by Rogers that the Stingray Plus channels 40 are now available on the Stingray app through Rogers without paying $3 a month extra with their Flex package. We cancelled Stingray Plus ( only 40 channels with our Flex 10 package), saving us $3 a month we now get 2000+ channels through the Stingray App on Rogers Ignite Tv and the same with Stingray App on our IPads signed in with our Rogers account. And even without a sign in on our IPads no charge and only get an identification once in a while ei. “ You are listening to Stingray 70’s channel”

• The 4+1 U.S. stations from Buffalo have been included with Rogers for MANY Many when Rogers begin cable back in the late 60’s years in any package I subscribed including Digital before switching to Ignite without paying for them with any additional cost, and were not called “distant stations that could not be received over the air” this was in a post from Rogers regarding all Flex Packages beginning approx. July 2021 would be called “ Prime Time Package”  $3 a month extra. The post goes on to say that most Canadians can get their shows and programs on a Canadian TV station. Can you tell me where I can get PBS shows and programs on a Canadian channel?

On November 1, 2023 Rogers announced service changes and updates offering the “New and Improved Packages” called “ Popular, Total and Starter, that now include the 4+1 U.S. stations ( Buffalo) . I have gone through these new packages to find a “Prime Time Theme package “ there isn’t one. That’s because the 4+1 U.S. (Buffalo) are included and no mention of them being a distant station that can’t be received over the air.
  • So I can come to the same conclusion Rogers is continuing to charge anyone that subscribed to any Flex package and now can receive it included at no extra cost. The same with the 4+1 U.S. stations that have always been included for many years Flex customers were paying $3 a month extra which has always been included and calling them distant stations but were never before and aren’t. I did write the CRTC about this and their answer was there have been a lot of complaints from Flex customers with Rogers about this issue.
  • After looking at other IPTV providers offerings Rogers is dealing with a lot different packages that have been grandfathered don’t existing anymore, instead of providing an IPTV service like Bell, Execulink, Tek Savvy, Start TV or VMedia that are in are area. This is where Rogers offereings are very confusing

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Flavour1 I can understand your frustration.  Rogers does not communicate all changes and that's one reason why I started a thread where we can discuss changes to Ignite TV packages and changes to the channel lineup: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Changes-to-Ignite-TV-Channels-in-Packages-and-Theme-...

I also used to be a Flex20 + Sports subscriber and made a post confirming that I was able to access Stingray Music channels through the App even through the individual channels were not included in my package.

As for the US networks, unless you are on one of the grandfathered Ignite TV packages or subscribe to one of the new in-market packages that launched in November, as far as I know, you will still need to get the Prime Time Pack to access those channels.

I currently subscribe to Premier.  On MyRogers, I received an offer to upgrade to Total TV and as part of that upgrade, Rogers would automatically remove the Prime Time Pack.

As for those subscribing to the Stingray Music theme pack, I can only presume that Rogers still offers it because it adds additional value in some way.

After looking at other IPTV providers offerings Rogers is dealing with a lot different packages that have been grandfathered don’t existing anymore, instead of providing an IPTV service like Bell, Execulink, Tek Savvy, Start TV or VMedia that are in are area. This is where Rogers offereings are very confusing

Most of the changes that Rogers made was to the mid-tier packages: Adding "Flex 5" and "Flex 10" options, replacing Popular with "Flex 20 + Sports" and "Flex 20 Including Sports", etc.  These are tough packages to put together.  They are there for people who want more than just the Starter package but who also do not want to pay for a ton of channels that they will never watch, but such a package will also never appeal to all people in this category.

I think that the new, fixed "Popular TV" bundle strikes a good balance.  However, I also think that Rogers would do well to offer something like a "Pick 10", "Pick 20" or "Pick 40" options.

Flavour1
I plan to stick around

Good Morning G and Merry Christmas,

You have hit the nail on the head.!!! And you are the first person on forum that really has addressed some concerns and issues that subscribers have dealing with Rogers. Yes everybody has choices and that is number one. All TV providers are licenced and are regulated by the CRTC.  We have with most providers a Basic or Starter package starting at $25 and lower with others. And yes there are channels in this package we have never watched. We to we’re on the Premier Package on Digital (Legacy) The PVR was dying and we had 12 kids channels, sports channels and endless unwanted channels, Rogers how do we get rid of these channels ? Our complaint went through the Office of the President. They called and explained what they could offer staying with Rogers and that was to move to Ignite TV (IPTV)

and Flex was explained and likely would be our best option as you wouldn’t be stuck with a lot of unwatched or unwanted channels.

Few glitches along the way, we lost the 4+1 Buffalo channels ( Rogers called them distant channels,( never been before always included) ????and Stingray had always been included. But The Stingray issue had a different scenario now an app was available for TV and mobile devices.

Lack of communication by Rogers ( any other company usually relays up coming changes in advance of them) 

I don’t like somebody else making my choices up for me.

Better communication with sales reps not giving proper info when changing from Digital to Ignite, since on Ignite we have saved nearly $150 a year by dropping second TV set top box ( we cast our Ignite to second tv, and we dropped Stingray Plus ( saving $3 a month) now use the Rogers app on tv or the Stingray mobile app

By looking at other TV providers most start with the Basic or Starter and YOU have choices from there 5,10, 15, 20, 30 or a la carte, or Theme Packs. But these choices are the subscribers not the TV Providers.

As the CRTC said after discussions with “ Let’s Talk Tv” Tv subscribers to any Tv Provider want to make their own choices. In other words the TV provider supplies the signal and channel the subscriber makes their own choices and decisions.

Flex 10 we have basically the Starter and all discretionary channel ( speciality channels) that we can swap in and out for others, except for premium channels. For the most part the Flex 10 package works for us. ( no kids or sports channels and unwatched channels that would be included with these new Popular or Total Packages. We will keep the Flex 10 package we have, as It offers flexibility and good pricing with internet, Home phone and cell, and we have the choices

Most TV stations like CTV, Global TV , CBC Gem, City TV etc. etc. offer their own apps, more choices, timeshift channels at no extra cost. These Canadian apps are not included with Rogers Ignite??? We recently this fall have found the CP24, CTV News Channel ( Bell Media)  and Yes Tv ( it is include on Basic but the app offers three feeds, Toronto, Calgary and Edmonton) have their own apps from the App Store. So even those channels are offered by Rogers with Flex 10 and two News ones you don’t watch all the time makes space for other channels of our choice. We just cast them from IPad to TV.

The balance suggestion you make The Popular package is made up by Rogers, not the subscriber, and that is where Rogers could do much better by giving those  choices to their subscribers.

Eventually as some have done already they have moved to getting their service not just by a TV Provider but through their own apps. This gives the consumer their choice.

I believe in the next five years cable Tv will find it hard to exist as consumers want to make their own choices and not have the expression “ take it or leave attitude”

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation