cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing Modem Signal on only 1 tv closest to modem.

SWe3
I've been here awhile

We switched to Ignite TV a couple of months ago and have had nothing but headaches.  We have 1 tablet, 2 computers  and 1 laptop all running off our Wi fi system. Along with the 3 black boxes for the TV's that are on this Ignite Modem. We live in a split level house. Now the annoying part is the TV black box closest to the modem abt.15 feet or more feet away keeps losing Wi fi signal (every other day). Getting tired of plugging and unplugging the black box in and to the point of unplugging and plugging the modem. But we don't lose Wi fi to the other other TV's or computer in the house just the one in the living room where the modem is located.  We've had a tech out to install all this equipment. He added on a black co-ax cable and some small connector with a green band around it with the number 6 on it to the back of the modem cause he said the Wi fi was too strong and could interfere with the Wi fi for the TV. When the Tech. was outside trying to use his phone/equipment he was getting a low signal. So very contradicting.  Well now this TV in question keeps losing Wi fi. Should this black cable and adaptor be taken off? I'm confused and need help. Tired of rebooting black box and modem ( and I shouldn't have to.) Just want this fix.. Our old Netbox worked great for many many years until I went through 4 boxes in a month and a half. That resulted in us being forced into the Ignite TV.  Can anyone help? Should I take these connector/adaptor off? What is this small adaptor with the green band around it with the number 6 on it really? Please help. 

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Losing Modem Signal on only 1 tv closest to modem.

RogersMoin

Hello, @SWe3.

Thank you for your detailed post, and welcome to our Community!

Undoubtedly, the Ignite Entertainment Box closest to the modem losing the WiFi signal can be annoying. It suggests some substantial interference, causing the box to drop the WiFi. 

Can you please provide us with a few more details:

• Is the Ignite Entertainment Box behind the TV?
  • By default, the band steering should be enabled on your modem. By any chance, have you turned it off? (i.e., using different network names for 2.4 and 5G bands)

Since the box is closest to the modem, you can connect it with an Ethernet cable if it's convenient. 

As for the small connector, it could be a barrel connector connecting the coax cable coming from outside to the modem. This may have happened when the tech replaced the existing coax cable inside the home. You may want to upload a picture of that connector. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RogersMoin

Hello, @SWe3.

Thank you for your detailed post, and welcome to our Community!

Undoubtedly, the Ignite Entertainment Box closest to the modem losing the WiFi signal can be annoying. It suggests some substantial interference, causing the box to drop the WiFi. 

Can you please provide us with a few more details:

• Is the Ignite Entertainment Box behind the TV?
  • By default, the band steering should be enabled on your modem. By any chance, have you turned it off? (i.e., using different network names for 2.4 and 5G bands)

Since the box is closest to the modem, you can connect it with an Ethernet cable if it's convenient. 

As for the small connector, it could be a barrel connector connecting the coax cable coming from outside to the modem. This may have happened when the tech replaced the existing coax cable inside the home. You may want to upload a picture of that connector. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

SWe3
I've been here awhile

I've gotten fed up with this and just connected the ethernet cable directly to the modem to this one TV. The box is in a large opening below the TV sitting on the DVD player. When the TV says it's not getting a signal it shows no net works to connect too. Unlike when I click on my computer to see the networks in the area it gives me choices. After a reboot it will show different connections in the area and asked if I would like to join one. (This screen is new and has just been showing up) So I pick ours put in our password and it's back to working again for the evening. (or however long it feels like). I would like to say thanks for your reply and I've just gone to the easy and simple road of using the ethernet cable. 

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 in conversation