cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long delays when changing channels

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

Hi

I am noticing that when I change channels, it can take up to 14 seconds before they appear.  Channels like 08, 24,  23, 22, 33 and sometimes others. 

What causes these delays?   This happens on boxes that are connected via CAT6 wire or WiFi at 5 Ghz so I don't think  it is related to the WiFi.  Power cycling the modem and boxes don't seem to help.  It also happens on all 4 boxes so I don't think it is box specific.

Is there any updated firmware that is being reviewed to fix this?  

Thanks

Thanks

**Edited Labels**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Long delays when changing channels

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Ed28  I experienced similar issues yesterday.  If you are using a standard setup with all-Rogers equipment, reset your Ignite modem (pull the power plug, wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in again), wait for the status LED to turn solid white, then reboot your set-top boxes.

If you are using your own router, reboot your router and then reboot your set-top boxes, if necessary.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Alex4161 wrote:

I am noticing that when I change channels, it can take up to 14 seconds before they appear.  Channels like 08, 24,  23, 22, 33 and sometimes others. 

For a quick fix, do this:  Unplug power from your set-top boxes, reboot your Ignite XB6 modem/gateway by power-cycling it and wait for its status light to turn solid white, then power up your set-top boxes again.

What causes these delays?   This happens on boxes that are connected via CAT6 wire or WiFi at 5 Ghz so I don't think  it is related to the WiFi.  Power cycling the modem and boxes don't seem to help.  It also happens on all 4 boxes so I don't think it is box specific.

Is there any updated firmware that is being reviewed to fix this?  

It happens when the IPv6 network connectivity on your Internet service stops working, and Ignite TV needs it to run smoothly.  (You can confirm this by going to https://en.internet.nl/ and then click the "Start test" button.)

Every time that you change channels on Ignite TV, a new network connection need to get set up in order to stream that channel to your set-top box.  It tries to set up the connection using IPv6... but if your IPv6 connectivity is broken, that connection cannot get established.  (This is when you see a delay, on every channel change.)  After the connection attempt times out, the set-top box will attempt to connect using IPv4.  That works.

The IPv6 breakage typically happens as a result of overnight maintenance work.  (As far as I can tell, the Rogers network basically "forgets" which part of the IPv6 address space got delegated to you and stops routing to it.)  Resetting the Ignite gateway reinitializes your IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity to the Rogers network.

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

Thanks for the information.  I have done reboots and that didn't help.

Would it be possible to just disable IP6 for a more consistent experience?  Having to wait 15 to 20 seconds to tune is pretty annoying.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Alex4161 wrote:

Would it be possible to just disable IP6 for a more consistent experience?  Having to wait 15 to 20 seconds to tune is pretty annoying.

No, because Ignite TV uses IPv6 by default and only uses IPv4 as a fallback.  IPv6 needs to be enabled and working properly.

Is your Ignite TV equipment in a Rogers-supported configuration or do you have the set-top boxes connected through your own router and network gear?

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

I only have the Rogers router and am using it to connect to the tv boxes 

Ed28
I plan to stick around

This issue just started for us today!  I’ve done everything suggested in this feed to no avail. I have all Rogers equipment. Nothing has changed in the equipment and no devices have been added. This is quite annoying. 

Linuxguru
I plan to stick around

Perhaps the switch is failing - are you using the Rogers supplied switch?

Ed28
I plan to stick around
I have the rogers modem and the tv box.
What switch are you referring to?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Ed28  I experienced similar issues yesterday.  If you are using a standard setup with all-Rogers equipment, reset your Ignite modem (pull the power plug, wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in again), wait for the status LED to turn solid white, then reboot your set-top boxes.

If you are using your own router, reboot your router and then reboot your set-top boxes, if necessary.

Ed28
I plan to stick around
Ok. That did it. The first two times, I totally forgot about the box in the bedroom. Rebooted both this time and it seems to be resolved.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
For a while I would have to reboot my set top boxes about once every few weeks. It seems better now.
Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 in conversation