cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Rogers working on their AppleTV app? Comcast have released theirs.

bwilliamp
I plan to stick around

Just wondering if Rogers is working on their app? Any testing going on?

https://9to5mac.com/2022/06/30/comcast-xfinity-stream-apple-tv/

***Edited Labels***

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Is Rogers working on their AppleTV app? Comcast have released theirs.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Just an FYI - Now Comcast’s Xfinity Stream app with live TV and DVR content is available on Apple TV

https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/30/23189915/apple-tv-comcast-cable-tv-xfinity-stream

RogersJermaine

Hi @bwilliamp,

We appreciate the continued contributions to our Community Forums and thank you for your interest in the Ignite TV app on the Apple TV platform. 

We will update the Community as the information becomes available.

Cheers
RogersJermaine

Jermaine. That does not answer the initial question.
1 is Rogers working on replicating the app that Comcast uses? Yes or No
2 Are they doing any testing. Yes or no

That answer you gave, gives no indication if they are. It would be nice to know.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Corrigat1 wrote:
Jermaine. That does not answer the initial question.
1 is Rogers working on replicating the app that Comcast uses? Yes or No
2 Are they doing any testing. Yes or no

That answer you gave, gives no indication if they are. It would be nice to know.

Unfortunately, nobody at Rogers can make any public comment about any product plans or any upcoming product releases.  The Moderators cannot and will not share any information that is considered privileged nor can they confirm or deny whether anything new is even in the works.  Also, anybody who is involved in testing any unannounced/unreleased products would also be subject to a NDA and forbidden from disclosing any information until authorized to do so.

A few years ago, when I (and others) asked Rogers about whether they had plans to offer an Ignite TV app on Apple TV or on any other streaming platforms, we were told, "We have a lot of exciting new features that will be coming to Ignite TV. Stay tuned!"  Since then, Comcast has released Xfinity Stream apps on Fire TV, Roku, various smart TVs, and now Apple TV... but Rogers has not...

HOWEVER, it looks like Shaw now offers a BlueCurve TV app on Fire TV.  If the Shaw merger goes through, Rogers would have a very tough time explaining why they cannot offer an Ignite TV app on streaming platforms for their Ignite TV customers.

One other thing: This is TOTALLY different but it looks like Rogers is working with Apple to release an "Apple TV+" X1 app on their Ignite set-top boxes.  Rogers has not announced anything of the sort but if you issue the "Apple TV+" voice command, you will now get an APPS-04154 error, which is confirmation that the app is being tested internally.

I don't know of any way to find out whether Rogers is offering an Ignite TV app for Apple TV to testers via TestFlight.  I still hope that an Ignite TV app for Apple TV will be coming some day.

bwilliamp
I plan to stick around

Well, Sky (parent company Comcast) Go released their app. Hopefully Rogers will be soon.

https://9to5mac.com/2022/07/27/sky-go-apple-tv/

I'm wondering the same thing I like rogers but the recent outage has me shopping to diversify some of my products and bell fiber in my area finally so more reason to switch off, especially since this is all over a rental fee of 5 dollars 

Incredibly short sighted to insist users use their box, their remote to watch.
Someone at Rogers needs to do the math — no way supporting all these plastic boxes is cheaper than supporting an app.

@markm_ottawa wrote:
Someone at Rogers needs to do the math — no way supporting all these plastic boxes is cheaper than supporting an app.

Actually the reason why we can't currently watch Ignite TV on any streaming boxes is because they have done the math... and for every set-top box that the end customer does not need, they lose $10/month in revenue... and they would probably also incur higher support costs.  Also, the Ignite set-top boxes make it easy for customers to rent movies that they might want to watch, which is another revenue source, and they can promote paid content through banners on the Guide, notifications and on the screen saver.

Rogers' shareholders will get upset if ARPU drops, so they would see streaming boxes as a threat.  The only chance of getting support for Apple TV, Roku, FireTV Sticks, etc. is if not doing so drives away customers, and their churn rate gets unacceptably high.

I hear rumours that Rogers may finally make an Ignite TV app available on streaming platforms in 2023.  However, I'm not going to get too excited about this until it actually happens.

pmacpherson68
I plan to stick around

Although I dont disagree with the statement, Rogers would lose money in box rentals (though I have to wonder how much they actually make, probably break even in 1-2 years if you include support, maintenance (replacing), etc.. but they would also potentially gain more customers with an apple tv offering.  I think in the end, offering more choice is a net benefit to the company - they could always charge a nominal fee for Apple TV access (or include it as part of some bundle like they always do) and to be honest, its only us nerd heads (lol) that mainly use them - most folks wouldnt buy appletv's just for Rogers.   

I would also point out that you could use the same argument for the Comcast US cable companies - they are also public companies that charge for rental units yet still offer AppleTV as an option.

Cheers,

If I remember correctly, the non-return fee of an Ignite set-top box is $119.  There is no way that it costs Rogers anywhere near that, so they recoup their money very quickly.  It has no moving parts (like hard drives) to break, it's easy for them to support, they have a lifetime of several years, and the STBs are essentially disposable.

As for revenue, it matters... every cent, especially easy revenue.  A keynote speaker, at some conference that I went to ages ago, made the following amusing point: "That $20 in your pocket really bothers corporate executives.  No, it's not the money that offends them; it's that it is in YOUR pocket, not theirs."

The only time that we will see an Ignite TV app come to streaming boxes is when it becomes a competitive disadvantage to not offer it.

As for Comcast, one of the reasons that they they offer an app streaming boxes is that they that also have a complimentary service to Xfinity TV called Xfinity Stream, which I don't think even requires Internet service from Comcast.  However, that app is available to Xfinity TV customers as well, and it definitely impacts their revenue.  Comcast has another big problem and that is that they are currently losing customers faster than they can acquire new ones.  Their ARPU is dropping, so they are increasing their prices to compensate.  However, that is only causing even more churn.

Lurker_Returns
I'm a reliable contributor
"I would also point out that you could use the same argument for the Comcast US cable companies - they are also public companies that charge for rental units yet still offer AppleTV as an option."
FCC regulations in the US forbid the "locking in" of customers to boxes. They have to provide alternatives. Canada has no such regulation.

Interesting… One might argue that requiring purchase of a box is locking in vs rental which you can walk away from at the end of your term. Either way they get you. Lol

Just wondering if there have been any updates or news to share regarding the IgniteTV App being released for Apple TV? Seems all of the other carriers are on there but Rogers? Would very much welcome the App as our main entertainment center in the house has to have both Apple TV and Rogers Ignite box - the only thing we need the Ignite box for is live TV - everything else is run off our AppleTV device. Would be great to know if this is being developed. Was not so innovative putting AppleTV+ on the Ignite Box. It doesn't make it more appealing to use.

Topic Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 10 in conversation