cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent screen freezes and audio dropout

markfink777
I plan to stick around

I've had Ignite TV running for a month without issues but yesterday my TV signal has started random freezes on the screen and/or audio dropouts for a few seconds at a time. Sometimes a few times per hour and other times every minute or two on all stations I watch. I've rebooted the STB, done a reset, each a few times but it makes no difference. It's connected via ethernet cable to my modem/router (which I've also rebooted) and my Gigabit service itself seems fine.. all my speed tests indicate close to 800Mbit/sec all the time. No one else is on the network when I watch my one and only TV. I've also switched out the ethernet cable in case it was a problem but that made no difference.

I have not yet called Rogers tech support in case there's something else that I can try before I do.

TIA

121 REPLIES 121

Re: Intermittent screen freezes and audio dropout

Peete22
I plan to stick around
Channel 38 CMT and channel 7 city tv at night cause that's when we watch CMT did it 3 times last night between 9pm and 920 pm watching everybody loves Raymond. The duplicate channels for these channels do it as well CMT is the worst of the 2, could be other channels we just dont watch them

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Peete22  I have seen City TV glitch from time to time while watching at my parents' home.  I just assumed that it was a problem with their Internet service since it doesn't happen frequently.  City is a Rogers station, so one would hope that the cause would not be a source issue.

I also set Everybody Loves Raymond on CMT to record tonight.  I will try to confirm any glitches, watching live (if I can) or the recorded programs.

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor

I have digital legacy tv with Rogers. I don't have CMT Canada, but I do have CityTv Toronto, and the full timeshifting theme pack for $6.

I noticed the intermittent (I'll guess, one glitch of half-second to about 3 seconds, every 20 minutes or so), glitches a few weeks ago on CityTv Toronto.

The good news is that since Rogers switched CityTv Toronto back to only 7 seconds behind (rather than 20 sec. behind) my Over-the-air indoor antenna feed, the more annoying, power-cut black screen and digital glitching problem hasn't reappeared.

However, even though the new CittyTv Toronto glitches are less annoying than the previous power-cut kind, I mostly just switch all my recordings or viewing to the American channels from Seattle (that are not always simsubbed), or to the other CityTv affiliates that rarely run into the frequent problems that CityTv Toronto does.

I tend to watch or record the 5pm and 6pm CityTv news for Richard Southern, and have seen glitches during the commercial breaks, or during the news broadcast.

I'm watching it now, but I'm using my antenna, and have yet to see any glitches while it's been on during the 5pm broadcast. I haven't bothered comparing my antenna feed with the Rogers feed, but I assume there's something slightly problematic with how Rogers receives or sends the CityTv Toronto signal to us.

Until the latest gltch-gate problem, CityTv Toronto was working great (so I recorded it oven), but for now it's on my avoid-when-possible List.

Perhaps next month, CityTv Toronto through Rogers will be fine, but since I have alternatives, and only about 6 months left until digital legacy is killed off, I can live without it.

gogasgoboom
I've been here awhile

I had this problem several months ago and it seems to have resolved itself as the last several months have been fine. I would encourage those trying to help to read this entire thread. It's not a narrow problem limited to a couple of channels or to a bad box somewhere. When I had it every channel on all 3 televisions experienced the problem and as I reported on the previous page the internet drops as well. Time and time again when a page would not load on my laptop the television signal dropped within seconds. When the page loaded on my laptop the television signal was restored within seconds.

Peete22
I plan to stick around

I switched to ignite 4 weeks ago because I had endless problems.with certain channels doing the same thing, not city or CMT. I was told ignite would not and could not have the same issues, they were wrong.  This went on for 6.months with legacy, 7.techs to the house, wiring from outside box all the way to the back of our components in living room was replaced, old cable box replaced twice and splitter replaced.    We don't use a splitter now only one box and ignite box is hooked up.with cat 6 ethernet, internet is running 800 900 Mbps through wifi.  If they try to say it has anything to do with my signal at the house again I am going to lose my friggin mind.  I personally don't think they know how to fix it or what the problem is and won't admit.to.it.

Peete22
I plan to stick around

Thanks. Maybe it's only certain areas, this will help.

Peete22
I plan to stick around

Yeah I have started watching on other channels but there are shows like only on city.  CMT is the worst and there are a lot of sitcoms we like to watch on there during the week nights.  It just sucks paying good money for something and issues already 4.weeks.in after switching from.legacy cable that was a mess.  Can't believe I'm dealing with this again.   And it will all be blamed on our connection at the house and cable box even though all the other channels work fine that we watch.

Peete22
I plan to stick around

Hey there, did you see anything? 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Peete22 wrote:

Hey there, did you see anything? 

Actually yes.

On S2 Ep21 - Traffic School, there was a glitch 11:53 into the recording, right after Marie says, "We're just having a little fun!"

On S2 Ep22 - Six Feet Under, there was a glitch 8:50 into the recording, right after Debra says, "Never throw up again."

There may be more.  For me, they were only minor, occasional glitches; it's not like the Ignite TV service was unwatchable.  However, the glitches were definitely there, and definitely a Rogers issue, or an issue in the back-end, close to the source.

I also watched City TV (Toronto) live briefly but did not experience any glitches on that channel.

Up until the nation-wide total network meltdown of July 8, 2022, my Rogers Ignite TV service had been (for the most part) absolutely glitch-free.  However, over the last six months or so, I have seen dropouts of varying severity on multiple channels.  The service is still better than what I got with the old Digital TV service or with Bell Fibe TV over vDSL, but definitely nowhere near as clean as what it used to be a year ago.

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor
If you're watching a show with good writing, any little glitch can be very annoying.

My digital legacy channels are better than ever before. As it gets closer to December, I expect that's when I'll experience less perfection.

If I had Ignite TV, I'd walk over to a Rogers store and ask if I could watch about 20 minutes of CMT Canada.

If you see glitching at the store, call Rogers and tell them that Nobody Loves Raymond when he's glitching.

CMT Canada... Count the number of hourly glitches correctly to win a prize.

Peete22
I plan to stick around

Thanks for checking and letting me know.  Now I know its not just us.  It's not that bad but coming from having so many issues with legacy it's disappointing especially since we just got it. Was hoping for better.  The question is how does Rogers fix it lol.  I am sure it's on the back end because CMT 38 on legacy never did it but it wasn't in HD, not sure if that would make a difference.

Peete22
I plan to stick around

Just curious why do you think it will get worse by December? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Peete22 wrote:  Just curious why do you think it will get worse by December? 

Because it's rumoured that Legacy TV will end around that time and that Rogers is not supporting Legacy TV if anything goes wrong, instead asking people still on Legacy to migrate to IgniteTV.

Peete22
I plan to stick around

Ah ok, I was a long time holdout and I can say the picture quality is much better than legacy and the system is better as well.  If it weren't for these 2 channels I would be extremely.happy.I like the flex channels as well, we get every channel we want now for less money.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Peete22 wrote:

Thanks for checking and letting me know.  Now I know its not just us.  It's not that bad but coming from having so many issues with legacy it's disappointing especially since we just got it. Was hoping for better. 

I had nothing but problems with legacy Digital TV and dumped Rogers twice because they could not resolve the CONSTANT glitching and software issues in the set-top boxes back when Navigatr was still new.

I returned to Rogers because of Ignite TV and had zero issues with it from the beginning.

The question is how does Rogers fix it lol.  I am sure it's on the back end because CMT 38 on legacy never did it but it wasn't in HD, not sure if that would make a difference.

This is probably only a minor issue.  Unfortunately, it can take a while for support teams to fix problems that are random, sporadic and intermittent.  Now that we have localized the problem and confirmed that it is definitely a back-end issue that is occurring close to the point of encoding, the support teams can now focus their troubleshooting efforts.  However, it may still be a tricky problem to resolve because the problem is not contained to just CMT; it does affect other channels.  (This afternoon, I saw a glitch while we were watching a movie on W West.  However, I can't confirm the problem at my house because that channel does not allow restarts.)

Peete22
I plan to stick around

But how will the support teams know.  I called them last Sunday to complain, they created a ticket and texted me weds or Thurs to advise it was closed because they couldn't find anything wrong and nothing has been fixed.  Do they monitor these forums?  How many people have to complain to get it fixed?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Peete22 wrote:

But how will the support teams know.  I called them last Sunday to complain, they created a ticket and texted me weds or Thurs to advise it was closed because they couldn't find anything wrong and nothing has been fixed.  Do they monitor these forums?  How many people have to complain to get it fixed?

I'll tag @CommunityHelps  so that they are aware that this is a confirmed issue.  They have their own escalation paths within Rogers for such things.

You can also send @CommunityHelps  a private message with another report of CMT dropping out and include a link to my post providing independent confirmation.

Peete22
I plan to stick around

Lol I have tried the private message a couple times, I don't get how to do it.

Peete22
I plan to stick around

I kinda figured it out how do I send them the link to your post?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Peete22 wrote:

Lol I have tried the private message a couple times, I don't get how to do it.

When logged into the forum, click on @CommunityHelps   .  On the page that comes up, you'll see a link on the top right of the screen to "send a message".  If you're using a tablet or phone, you may need to switch your browser to the desktop version. How to do that will depend on the device but a web search should find it.  There may be some back and forth required while Rogers get your personal information to look into your account.  Personal information is not allowed in this forum.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Peete22 wrote:

I kinda figured it out how do I send them the link to your post?

At the top right of any post is a down arrow. Click it and select "Permalink".  After that has been selected, copy the URL.

Topic Stats