cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV box interferes with remote control functionality of Roku Streaming Stick +

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

I have the Rogers Ignite TV box and have noticed that my Roku Streaming Stick + remote seems to lag when moving across the screen.  If I disconnect the Ignite TV box and remove the batteries from its remote, the Roku seems to work just fine.

I have tested the battery level on both remotes and they are brand new (well over 1.6 volts each).  The only thing I can think of is that there is some channel that needs to be set so that the 2 devices do not conflict.   Is there a way to do so on the Rogers Ignite?  I never had this issue with the Cable boxes.  Is this setup purposely to have users get off the Roku box and use the Rogers box only?

*Added Labels*

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Ignite TV box interferes with remote control functionality of Roku Streaming Stick +

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you aren't actually pressing buttons on both remotes at the same time, there should be no interference between the remotes.  However, some devices can cause "IR Spray" that can interfere with other devices. The secret is often to put more distance between the various devices, or if the TV is the problem, to use the proper picture settings in the TV. Here's a thread on the topic with lots more information.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/14-hdtv-high-definition-television-including-lcd-plasma/64463-your-...

Re: Ignite TV box interferes with remote control functionality of Roku Streaming Stick +

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Alex4161 wrote:

I have the Rogers Ignite TV box and have noticed that my Roku Streaming Stick + remote seems to lag when moving across the screen.  If I disconnect the Ignite TV box and remove the batteries from its remote, the Roku seems to work just fine.

I have tested the battery level on both remotes and they are brand new (well over 1.6 volts each).  The only thing I can think of is that there is some channel that needs to be set so that the 2 devices do not conflict.   Is there a way to do so on the Rogers Ignite?  I never had this issue with the Cable boxes.  Is this setup purposely to have users get off the Roku box and use the Rogers box only?

Do you happen to be using the Roku "point-anywhere" remote?  If so, I believe that it operates over a 2.4 Ghz peer-to-peer Wi-Fi connection.  It's possible that there could be some interference from the Xi6 set-top and/or its voice remote but it should be insignificant.  However, you could get significant interference in that frequency band if you have your Ignite set-top box paired with Bluetooth headphones or some other Bluetooth receiver.

The Ignite TV set-top box should not interfere with a Roku IR remote.

You could also experience interference if the Roku Stick and Ignite set-top box are too close to one another, so you might also be able improve the situation by separating these devices.

TeDD13
I'm a trusted contributor
Although I do not have exact same issue I can relate to the fact that Ignite remote might attempt to control more devices than it should. I have ingnite tv box paired with Samsung TV and Panasonic receiver. Although remote controls them as it should every time I turn/off tv/AV receiver/TV box it turns on Technics CD Changer

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TeDD13 : It's possible that the particular IR signal in question is similar enough, or identical to, the IR signal for the CD Changer. This happens occasionally, especially if a new piece of equipment sends an IR signal that was used in some very old equipment long ago. 

It's also possible that one of the conditions discussed in the following link is coming into play:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Problems-with-Ignite-Remote/m-p/456589#M5829

twolane
I've been here awhile

Exact same issue. Was sent  ignite equipment upgrade from shaw/ rogers and when I hooked everything up, my ROKU stopped working immediately

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 in conversation