cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV and Internet vs Classic Digital

Callie
I'm here a lot

We currently are using four older Rogers digital boxes along with a digital modem and phone adapter, we along with our neighbors periodically experience pixelation do to low signal strength, a Rogers tech showed me how to check the strength on one of our boxes, the tech was a seasoned Rogers employee, he indicated that the problem we have is do to the fact that myself and my neighbors are the last pedestal on the loop, he contacted field services for a fix and the problem was solved until recently, the techs that came recently where subcontractors, they claimed the only solution was to change to Ignite, I do not have a problem with this but I suspect I will just have a new platform with the same issues do to signal strength , I have heard many who are not happy with ignite, comments please 🤔

***Edited Labels***

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Ignite TV and Internet vs Classic Digital

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Callie wrote:

We currently are using four older Rogers digital boxes along with a digital modem and phone adapter, we along with our neighbors periodically experience pixelation do to low signal strength, a Rogers tech showed me how to check the strength on one of our boxes, the tech was a seasoned Rogers employee, he indicated that the problem we have is do to the fact that myself and my neighbors are the last pedestal on the loop, he contacted field services for a fix and the problem was solved until recently, the techs that came recently where subcontractors, they claimed the only solution was to change to Ignite, I do not have a problem with this but I suspect I will just have a new platform with the same issues do to signal strength , I have heard many who are not happy with ignite, comments please 🤔

That all depends on the quality of the signal coming into your home, and also why your signal strength is poor.

If your Internet service is absolutely stable and error-free, then switching to Ignite TV is a viable option.  If your Internet service is marginal, I would NOT recommend switching until your Internet service stabilizes... and that will probably also resolve your issues with Digital TV.

Most people have no problems with Ignite TV.  If your Internet service works well and your in-home network and Wi-Fi work well, then Ignite TV will work well.  Most of the complaints are either due to problems with the service (likely caused by an improper installation or if their Internet service is not stable) or because they just prefer how Digital TV works, or if a feature that they liked (e.g. TV call display or picture-in-picture) is not available on Ignite TV.

Callie
I'm here a lot

Thank you for your reply, internet speeds are 40 to 60 MPS , Rogers home phone is fine, the problem is pixelation on the TV channels.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Callie You can check your current signal strength and S/N ratio at your boxes using the following FAQ:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/57-faq-tips-for-sa-cisco-stbs-also-pace.17719/

If you have some splitters in your line upstream of the boxes, those will probably not be necessary with IgniteTV because there is only the one Gateway that'll be connected to the incoming RF-coax.  This will result in a higher strength than you currently have.

As for your Internet speed, I assume you mean 40-60 mpbs download speed. What speed are you paying for?

Callie
I'm here a lot

Yes should have been 40 to 60 mbps ….. paying for 75 mbps, currently considering switching to Bell Fibe which is now coiled up on my front lawn , other neighbors have the same issues and they are connected on pedestals upstream of mine, will gather some signal strength numbers and post , ps …. One of my neighbors actually bought a new tv because he thought the picture quality issue was related to his television, his pvr is only a few years old .

Fwiw, if you have neighbours upstream from you that have the same issue, then the issue isn't specifically due to the fact that you're the tail end Charlie on the cable run that extends from the neighbourhood node to you're local tap.  

Do you have underground or overhead cabling?  

Fwiw, when Bell's contractor (I won't way who) was in our neighbourhood running fibre conduit, they ran a trencher, from our house all the way to the beginning of the street.  That's a long way, chewing thru lawns, driveways, and numerous Rogers in ground cables.  The contractor used a combination of horizontal drilling and machine trenching, which did the most damage.  It took a two man crew over two weeks to track down the noise in the cable system that was caused by the trenching and cable replacement.  They had to go from pedestal to pedestal to fix all of the issues.  

So, fwiw, if you and your neighbours are having problems, that requires a Senior Tech and possibly a Maintenance Crew to determine where and what the problems are and hopefully fix them.  This sounds like a case to ask the moderators for assistance, on behalf of the whole neighbourhood. 

As has been pointed out, when you switch to the Ignite TV system, all of the modems, splitters and amps are removed and replaced with a single modem and ethernet and/or wifi connected tv set top box(es).  Given that any amplifiers and splitters are removed, the signal level at the new modem will rise, in comparison to the old modem signal levels.  

And, as already been noted, your cable system needs to be running in good condition before you ever consider switching to the Ignite system.  

The Hitron Coda-4582 (legacy modem) and new Comcast XB6, XB7 and XB8 modems run Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplex channels downstream and upstream.  These are low power channels which run thousands of sub-carriers for data carriage.  This is the next technological leap for ISPs, in terms of providing faster data rates.  The OFDM introduction has occurred with numerous issues, and its typical to see problems when customer switch from the legacy modems to the OFDM capable modems.  Having said that, OFDM channels are in use across the network, usually running without issue.  But, just be aware that switching over to an XB6, XB7 or XB8 modem might not go smoothly.  If you replace the Nextboxes with the Xi6 set top boxes which are connected via ethernet and wifi, then you might have wifi issues with those boxes, so, you might be fighting with cable and wifi issues for a period of time.  Not trying to sound all doom and gloom .... that system can run as designed without issues.  In the case of cable issues, make sure that their fixed before consider a switch over. 

Having said that, I've seen Jan 2024 as a cut off date for the legacy services.  Rogers has been radio silent on an absolute end date for the legacy services and what they plan to do with customers who refuse to switch, up to an including Rogers end service date.  So, in theory, it shouldn't be possible for legacy customers to renew their services this year.  At the end of the day, by retiring the QAM channels that are currently used, and switching to OFDM channels throughout the cable spectrum, Rogers will be able to provide faster data rates to all customers, assuming that they choose to do so.  

Fwiw, if you have a roll of fibre sitting on your lawn, consider the change to Bell, especially if Rogers shows no interest in resolving the issue in your neighbourhood.  Sounds like Rogers could lose a number of customers if they ignore the problems.  Installing the fibre cable can be a problem as the installation tech will most likely take the easiest route possible and drill thru an external wall to bring the fiber cable inside the home.  Like Rogers techs, then won't fish cable thru the walls or floors, so, if you have a particular location for a modem that you prefer, you might have to fish the cable yourself.  If that's the case, if and when you see a Bell tech in your neighbourhood, ask him or her for a roll of drop cable that you can fish thru the walls yourself.  It might not be exceedingly difficult to accomplish, its more a matter of the time that it takes and what you have to do in order to avoid any damage to your home. 

Callie
I'm here a lot

Thank you for the detailed reply, I have some reading and analysis to do 🙂 my cable run is underground. Thanks John

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Callie wrote:

Yes should have been 40 to 60 mbps ….. paying for 75 mbps, currently considering switching to Bell Fibe which is now coiled up on my front lawn , other neighbors have the same issues and they are connected on pedestals upstream of mine, will gather some signal strength numbers and post , ps …. One of my neighbors actually bought a new tv because he thought the picture quality issue was related to his television, his pvr is only a few years old .

A few more comments to ponder:

1. Most people on Rogers internet get more (usually much more) than they are provisioned for.  You should be getting closer to 100 mbps, even more, unless your modem is only provisioned for 50 mbps, despite paying for 75.

2. The Rogers 4K PVRs (CAV10455 model) are about 5 years old. The model 9865 is 10 years old.

3. Bell Fibe sends 720P signals to the home, not 1080P like IgniteTV for HD and 4K for 4K obviously.  The IgniteTV picture quality is usually excellent (when things are working properly, which they should be). 720P can make the picture quite soft.

4. I also can recommend sending a PM to the mods on this forum as I've found them quite helpful:

When logged into the forum, click on  @CommunityHelps   .  On the page that comes up, you'll see a link on the top right of the screen to "send a message".  If you're using a tablet or phone, you may need to switch your browser to the desktop version. How to do that will depend on the device but a web search should find it.  There may be some back and forth required while they get your personal information to look into your account.  Personal information is not allowed in this forum.  

Callie
I'm here a lot

Thanks to all for your replies , I am going too document some signal levels and post them, as suggested I will also contact the forum moderators, last night there was significant pixelation on the tv channels,  I was not home ( the spouse report , angry BTW ) currently between a rock and a hard place , Rogers seems to be pushing ignite as the solution to all, I am reluctant to switch as I am told there is no going back, not wanting to make any change until Bell Fibe is up and running so I can switch if needed, sure would be nice if Rogers cared more and or had the technical expertise or will to fix the problem .

TheTruth1
I've been here awhile

Once you switch to Ignite they wouldn't want to switch you back even though technically they can. If and when they get rid of digital cable or can't give me any more discount then I WILL cut cable, cable is already dead. People 25 and under don't really watch cable TV, everyone has streaming apps and everyone reads the news on their phone. Most news apps are free to watch live news. The only issue is sports and anyone can subscribe to the networks directly and have the app anywhere.

I too am currently looking at streaming solutions , I have received some promotional info from an internet provider who now seems to have an office in the Waterloo Region called Eyesurf, they have tv plans that can be streamed on a Roku . Meanwhile keeping an eye on my internet speeds and signal levels on the digital box.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Callie  For what it's worth, years ago, I used to be a Digital TV subscriber and had nothing but problems with my service.  However, my Internet service worked well... but for whatever reason, Rogers was unable to fix my TV issues, and they were nowhere near ready to launch an IPTV service at the time.  I ended up going back to Fibe TV, then returned to Rogers when Ignite TV launched, and I have been a happy customer ever since.  So, yes, switching to Ignite TV can be a solution to your Digital TV woes... but it's also contingent on your Internet service working well and your in-home network/Wi-Fi working well.

Rogers is also in the process of upgrading neighbourhoods to newer technology.  Some are getting migrated to Fibre-to-the-Home; others are getting migrated to next-generation fibre nodes.  If you are experiencing signal issues that are not getting fixed, it's possible that your area is about to get upgraded.  My signal levels were a disaster for months... then became totally fine (literally overnight) after my area got cut over to the new node.

pdi
I've been here awhile

I was searching this topic and came up on this thread.  Your comment about Rogers ending their legacy digital service in January 2024 is very interesting.  I'm trying to renew a current bundle discount on digital tv/internet service now and Rogers refuses to provide me with any new discount.  They are telling me to switch to Ignite or pay an inflated price for legacy service.  Ignite has very poor TV channel packages compared to the digital service I have now, unless I want to pay substantially more per month.  I'm very disappointed that this seems to be the end of the road for Rogers digital service.

RogersJo
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Greetings @pdi,

Thanks for contributing to this conversation! 😊 I can most definitely appreciate some savings as a consumer myself. I too was a fan of our legacy residential services, however, I have now had my Ignite TV bundle for eons now and I have found it to be super user friendly and quite the experience! 🙌

Our Ignite service offers our most reliable and fastest fibre-powered internet, the most 4K channels, on-demand movies, exclusive features like SportsApp, Kids Zone, and flexible channel exchange for ultimate choice. Along with the flexible option of adding channels and theme packs a la carte, it offers you the opportunity to tailor your package to your desired viewing needs.

Sadly, with our legacy residential services no longer being offered, we don't have any promotional offers that can be applied to your current services. In addition, as of May 6th 2023, in the event that you require an equipment swap, we no longer have the ability to do so, nor are we sending a technician out to address any technical issues outside of our general troubleshooting over the Phone, Live Chat or Social Media. 

We'd be more than happy to go over new Ignite TV bundles to ensure you have all your needs and wants and see what we can do to try to make things more cost-effective as well. Please send us a private message @CommunityHelps and we'll be happy to have a gander for you. Feel free to check out this blog if you're not familiar with our PM system.

Regards,

RogersJo

Gordonhevderson
I've been around

I just reluctantly agreed to update my shaw contract to the new ignite ,  with wifi tv boxes.      I hate it.  It is the worst experience ever.    Dont do it 

What do you hate about it?

Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 9 in conversation