cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Weatherproof a Rogers Entertainment box?

steve_sea
I've been here awhile

I have a new outdoor TV.  It's all set up and working fine with the little 5"x5"x1" Rogers tv box, but I want to waterproof that box so it can stay outside.  I considered a weatherproof junction box, but I believe they may block wifi signals to/from the Rogers pods.   Outdoor TVs are becoming much more popular, so I expected to see Rogers address this somewhere, but ... I cannot find anything.  I have 5 TVs and 4 Rogers tv boxes.  My ideal would be a weatherproof box attached to the new outdoor TV that's easy to open and drop the rogers tv box in when I am using it outside, but can pull it out when I'm traveling or need it for occasional inside use.  Thanks for your thoughts.

**Labels updated**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to Weatherproof a Rogers Entertainment box?

steve_sea
I've been here awhile
Thanks for your kind response. I had considered keeping the TV box inside but I thought my remote control needed to communicate via Bluetooth or Infrared. After doing a test, it is clear that my remote and TV box will communicate even when one is deep inside the house and the other is on the deck. As such, I will run a long HDMI cable as suggested and forego the waterproof box.
Awesome! Thanks for your help!!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RogersZia

Hi @steve_sea!

Welcome to the Community!

You're right, it sounds like a great idea to have a weather proof box for the Ignite set top box. While I haven't looked into it much, it is great feedback that we can forward to the appropriate team.

In the mean time I hope the Community members are able to chime in and recommend something to you.

RogersZia

wayner92
I'm a senior contributor

If I were you I would be trying to put the IgniteTV box indoors.  Then get a long HDMI cable to run to your TV.  Or use an HDMI over ethernet extender.

You could but the Ignite box in various types of waterproof project boxes, but then you might have heat issues with the box.  The box shouldn't cause issues with wifi if it is plastic.  There is also the option of plugging the Rogers box in, but then that requires a third cable through the waterproof box - HDMI, power and Ethernet.

I have a TV in my pool cabana that I pull outdoors.  It is on an articulating arm.  But all other hardware is sheltered from the elements and I put the TV away when there is rain or other stuff to worry about.

But if you do want to use a box then maybe something like this https://www.amazon.ca/Extreme-Broadband-Weather-Enclosure-Interior/dp/B01N4FSKZM/?th=1

steve_sea
I've been here awhile
Thanks for your kind response. I had considered keeping the TV box inside but I thought my remote control needed to communicate via Bluetooth or Infrared. After doing a test, it is clear that my remote and TV box will communicate even when one is deep inside the house and the other is on the deck. As such, I will run a long HDMI cable as suggested and forego the waterproof box.

wayner92
I'm a senior contributor

If your box will be by another TV that won't be used as the same time as the outdoor TV then you could also get a 1:2 HDMI splitter and send the HDMI signal from the IgniteTV box to both the outdoor TV and another TV indoors.  That way you can use the box to feed two TVs and save the $10/month rental.  You just have to move the remote around, or use a different remote for the indoor TV.  The IgniteTV boxes can also receive an IR signal from a universal remote.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

My brother in law has a TV outside, but he has a shed where he mounted it to, he has access to the inside of the shed where all the wires, cables and plugs go, so he just installed the ignite box inside the shed and left it on a piece of wood shelf,  it does NOT have to be direct line of site to work so it works even when its tucked away inside the shed no where to be seen.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@steve_sea wrote:

I recall seeing a few posts over the years where people have reported issues when using long (10m / 30+ feet) HDMI cables between an Ignite set-top box and home theatre projectors, problems that went away when they retested with an 8-foot HDMI cable.

FYI, Comcast's X1 Wireless TV Box FAQs has a specific question about outdoor use:

Can I use the Wireless TV Box outdoors?
Yes, you may take the Wireless TV Box outdoors, provided it maintains a wireless connection to the Xfinity Gateway. Please note, the Wireless TV Box is not weatherproof and should avoid direct exposure to precipitation and extreme heat or cold.

Some customers have also posted questions to the Xfinity forum asking about outdoor weatherproof enclosures.  The Comcast moderators could not offer any specific recommendations, instead suggesting that the user consult with a professional installer.

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 in conversation