cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Rogers send out refurbished equipment?

DigitalPixel
I plan to stick around

We just signed up for the Ignite Flex 20 with 1.5Gbps internet. This is part of their migration to the Ignite system from the legacy cable. Anyways I started opening up gateway first and it looks brand new, no issues. Then I opened up the two tv boxes and both are scuffed up. One of the remotes (XR11) does not work because of corroded springs from old batteries. But the batteries were new. Even the HDMI cables had dust on them. Rogers immediately sent me a replacement new remove (XR15) but now the tv box that had the bad remote does want to work. This is so frustrating. Now I'm waiting for a response from Rogers on what to do next.

*Added Labels*

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Does Rogers send out refurbished equipment?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DigitalPixel  Sure, Rogers will send out refurbished equipment.  This has always been the case with all rented hardware, and that was especially true with the old Digital TV set-top boxes.  However, the Ignite hardware that they send out should either be in new or like-new condition.

DigitalPixel
I plan to stick around

They are sending out another STB. For some reason the STB that came with the remote with corroded battery terminals does want to work. I'm 100% sure that both of my STBs and remotes were used at some point in the past. This is why back in the day I used to purchase my Motorola DVR equipment at Future Shop. I never had any problems with it.

Back when I was a Digital TV customer, it always took a few tries before getting a rental PVR that worked properly.  The "bad renters" mistreated the STBs, customers could exchange them on their own, and you had defective equipment that was constantly getting cycled in and out of the system without getting refurbished properly.

At least with Ignite, there are no hard drives or other moving parts, and there are more controls around equipment exchanges, so the refurbished equipment should still be reliable.  You also can't just exchange an STB anymore at your local Rogers store, so we no longer see perfectly-good equipment getting returned on a whim.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 in conversation