cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadlink Universal Remote

KenP2
I've been here awhile

I am trying to connect a BroadLink IR/RF Smart Home Hub-WiFi IR/RF Blaster for Home Automation (RM4 Pro) to the Xi6-T TV controller so that I can remotely control my father's TV via the Internet.  I am not having any success and was wondering whether anyone had tried anything similar.

*Added Labels*

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Broadlink Universal Remote

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

People have successfully utilized Harmony Remotes with "blasters", so this should be possible. I have not heard of this particular device, however, if it uses IR to communicate with the STB, the placement of the device is critical. (This was mentioned in several of the threads discussing Harmony Hub, etc.)

The IgniteTV STBs are very sensitive to the placement of the blaster, with it having to be right next to, or on top of the box.  The box doesn't pick up IR very well, although it works well with the RF utilized by the IgniteTV remotes.  Experiment with this placement and make sure you've entered the correct "codes" in the device programming to control the IgniteTV box(es).

Edit - I read up on this device and did some research and found the following:

1. Make sure you have the latest version of the app on your phone - do not use the QR code.

2. Many people mentioned that the IR is "weak" and needs to be properly "pointed or placed" - similar to what I stated.

3. Broadlink apparently has a list of compatible devices on their website. You may wish to check that list out, although most reviews say that is not the problem with this device, rather what I already mentioned.  Use Comcast xfinity to check.

KenP2
I've been here awhile

I purposely purchased the IR/RF version so that I would have the RF capability available to use with the Rogers STB.  So far though it seems like only the IR side is activated.  I will keep trying.  Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1. Does this mean that you have it working using IR?

2. Some people reported that there was quite a lag - seconds - between the time you entered something on the phone and something happened on the box over the internet...

3. I'm guessing there must be some setup function that enables RF. Good Luck.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@KenP2 wrote:

I purposely purchased the IR/RF version so that I would have the RF capability available to use with the Rogers STB.  So far though it seems like only the IR side is activated.  I will keep trying.  Thanks

It sure doesn't look like this is going to work.  According to the product page on Amazon, RF on the RM4 Pro operates at 433 MHz.  However, the Ignite Voice Remotes use the RF4CE protocol which, according to certification documents, operates in the 2.425-2.475 GHz range.  They are completely incompatible.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@KenP2 : Check out the compatibility guide on the manufacturer's website that I mentioned earlier. They may comment on the Xi6-T (Xfinity) box and whether it's compatible with RF and/or IR only...

KenP2
I've been here awhile

As it happens I have to move my father to another care home (also served by Rogers but from what I can tell not Ignite).  It looks like I will be starting all over again probably with a Next Box.  I do appreciate all the help and advice you (57 and G) have provided here as the Rogers website itself did not provide any information that I could easily find on the Ignite remote nor set top box. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Be advised that rumour has it that Rogers will be discontinuing Rogers Legacy Digital Cable around the end of this year.  There are some facilities such as MDUs, LTCs, etc. that may be on contract for Legacy Digital Cable, but even those will likely have to switch when the contract is up.

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 3 in conversation