No Rogers Home Phone during Power Outage - Disappointing

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: No Rogers Home Phone during Power Outage - Disappointing

@RyeEncoke wrote:

Same situation.  Very disappointed and also considering moving my services  to Bell.  Not having a cell phone is a personal choice but a land line should always be available during emergencies.

Exactly....AND...not everyone has a cellphone, nor are they "addicted" to it.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@kookai wrote:

@RyeEncoke wrote:

Same situation.  Very disappointed and also considering moving my services  to Bell.  Not having a cell phone is a personal choice but a land line should always be available during emergencies.

Exactly....AND...not everyone has a cellphone, nor are they "addicted" to it.

I signed up for fibre with my ISP/phone company last year and also had to accept "home phone" to replace my copper landline.  My worry was losing the phone during power outages. But most households only have cordless phones now anyway if the have home phone or a landline, which are dead with no hydro. I have a couple of corded phones though, which will work with no hydro that I use to check power outage status. The "home phone" I have now supposedly has 8 hour battery backup and it's been many years since there's been a power outage longer than that. If that happens, I can charge up my cellphone from my generator or in my car if necessary.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

1. ...most households only have cordless phones now anyway....

2. ...I have a couple of corded phones though...

1. That's why you plug the "home phone" modem as well as the base for the cordless phones into a UPS. In this way, if the phone line is "live" to your home (ie not missing infrastructure batteries) then you'll be up and running for as long as your UPS and/or their batteries hold up.

Unfortunately many providers no longer maintain/replace these expensive infrastructure batteries which wear out and are also sometimes stolen.  This keeps the overall cost down in the knowledge that almost every home now has at least one cell phone.

2. Keeping a corded phone just in case is also a good idea, however, it's useless if the line to the home is dead, as it is now in many instances.  Even "POTS" may run through the same infrastructure and may be down if the batteries are missing/dead.

Stats for those interested for 2017 (2019 publication), however, it's pretty easy to extrapolate to 2020. (Page 24)

https://crtc.gc.ca/pubs/cmr2019-en.pdf

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@57 wrote:

@OLDYELLR wrote:

1. That's why you plug the "home phone" modem as well as the base for the cordless phones into a UPS. In this way, if the phone line is "live" to your home (ie not missing infrastructure batteries) then you'll be up and running for as long as your UPS and/or their batteries hold up.

Unfortunately many providers no longer maintain/replace these expensive infrastructure batteries which wear out and are also sometimes stolen.  This keeps the overall cost down in the knowledge that almost every home now has at least one cell phone.

2. Keeping a corded phone just in case is also a good idea, however, it's useless if the line to the home is dead, as it is now in many instances.  Even "POTS" may run through the same infrastructure and may be down if the batteries are missing/dead.

Stats for those interested for 2017 (2019 publication), however, it's pretty easy to extrapolate to 2020. (Page 24)

@57 wrote:

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I do have a UPS where my desktop computer is connected, but it's an old one and maybe stays up for 45 minutes. The battery backup for my fibre internet is supposed to be good for 8 hours. I doubt I could afford a UPS good for 8 hours for everything else. I have 1300 watt max generator for emergencies in case of power outage that will run my sump pump, fridge or freezer, but not all at the same time. I've seen your advice recommending a UPS for cable DVRs and probably won't go that route because I'm considering something similar to Ignite provided by my ISP. As for the battery backup for my fibre internet, I'm sure my ISP will replace the Gigahub if the battery backup fails.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I talked with Bell some people have internet phone but in my building it is the traditional home phone which will work during power outages available with the bundle.

Rogers home phone is getting even worse with ignite as it will completely use internet.

Since I love Rogers so much the only choice I have is using my cell phone for emergencies.  Don’t want to pay the $70 for Bell just for the landline with features.

i know some people don’t have cellphones, but also not everyone can afford to answer the Bell.  What you can do is get a pay as you go phone from Speakout711Wireless.  They have airtime for a year where as other companies have it only for a month.  As of right now you will have to pay about $1.25 to $1.50 for 911 fees every month whether you use it that month or not.  Then its $0.30 per minute Canada wide talk, free incoming text, out going text $0.15 per text.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If your really concerned about having rogers ignite home phone to work during a power outage, get a small ups and connect the ignite gateway to it, and invest in a inexpensive corded telephone and keep it in a spare bedroom or something, that way you dont have to use a Cordless phone during power outage and dont have to invest in ANOTHER UPS. trust me, keep things simple and your worries will be less and less.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

thanks for your help.  I couldn’t find the modem info, how long can it run on 825 watts?

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Sami774882 wrote:

Since I love Rogers so much the only choice I have is using my cell phone for emergencies.  Don’t want to pay the $70 for Bell just for the landline with features.

i know some people don’t have cellphones, but also not everyone can afford to answer the Bell.  What you can do is get a pay as you go phone from Speakout711Wireless.  They have airtime for a year where as other companies have it only for a month.  As of right now you will have to pay about $1.25 to $1.50 for 911 fees every month whether you use it that month or not.  Then its $0.30 per minute Canada wide talk, free incoming text, out going text $0.15 per text.

I know 711 Speakout is good for a year, but I've had Rogers PayGo since forever. I renew once a year for $100 and since I don't use it much, just turn on  the phone and take it with me when I leave the house, all it costs me is the monthly $0.75 911 charge, so I use $100 from my balance to renew when it's available. I've now discovered that during the COVID-19 lock-down My calls are free.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Sami774882 wrote:

thanks for your help.  I couldn’t find the modem info, how long can it run on 825 watts?

A modem probably only uses about 5-10 Watts. It would therefore run for many hours even with the smallest UPS, provided nothing else is plugged into the battery protected side.

I have  my Rogers phone modem and my cordless phone plugged into the same UPS, however, as discussed earlier, many provider node batteries are no longer being replaced by the service providers and as soon as there is a power failure in your area, you're going to be down for TV, Internet and home phone, regardless of provider.  Years ago it used to be different, before almost everyone had a cell phone.

I also have an older corded phone, however, for about the past 4-5 years in my area, if the power goes down, everything provider-related is down.  Because I have my computer, internet modem, router, etc all connected to a different UPS used for my computer, I used to be able to continue to surf the internet for a while, but no longer.

I'm on Rogers Digital Cable, not IgniteTV.