No Rogers Home Phone during Power Outage - Disappointing

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

No Rogers Home Phone during Power Outage - Disappointing

We have had Rogers Home Phone for 4 to 5 years now.    Yes - we are old fashioned and have a "land line".   In the past when the power went out in the area our "land line" would continue to run for a few hours.   Now when the power goes out, we lose home phone and internet immediately.     Our phone modem and cable modem ARE plugged into a UPS to provide power to those devices, but the rogers network in our area apparently has no battery backups installed.

I called Rogers tech support to inquire about the issue.  They dispatched a tech who came by the house today to confirm that the battery within our home phone modem IS working fine, and I even showed him that I had a UPS on the Rogers equipment.  

I explained that 911 service to us would be unavailable if the power is out.  He said "Yes", and most people these days have a cell phone to use to call 911.

The tech tells me that the Rogers infrastructure in our area is not required by any regulatory agency to have battery backups, so they save millions of dollars each year by not installing battery backup systems.  Land lines have been moved down the priority list for 911 requirements he tells me because "everybody" has a cell phone these days.

So...  That's what I guess it comes down to.  Rogers doesn't see the need to keep 911 service available in a power outage to land line users.   

The tech suggested that we keep our cell phones charged at all times.

What is the use of calling 911 on a cell phone, as they won't be able to pinpoint the address at an instant.

Very disappointed in Rogers.  I've already made inquiries with Bell.  They say that their phone lines DO remain active during a power outage.   A family friend works for Bell in the circuit planning department  - I am going to inquire as to the truthfulness of the Bell rep's claim before I change service..

**Labels Added**

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: No Rogers Home Phone during Power Outage - Disappointing

Yeah, must be your local node that doesnt have a battery backup.  I know mine stays up for quite a while.. longer than my local battery backup does.

Any VOIP based service, would run into much of the same issues.

Bell, with a standard phone line, will usually be much better.  Usually the power is at the CO, which is a much bigger location to put the backup.
Bell land lines are rather expensive now a days stand alone..
(Not sure if on a bell bundle with say Fibe.. if the phone is still standard, or is then voip as well)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, I've encountered the same thing (reported elsewhere in this forum).  Years ago I was able to use Internet and my Home Phone worked for a few hours during a local power outage.  I also have a UPS with phone and modem plugged into it, as well as a corded phone.   During the last few outages I no longer have phone or internet - it goes down immediately.

I reported this to the office of the president and did receive several calls back stating they were looking into it, but as you say, it's probably not high priority for them and we may never get this back.

I'm Here A Lot

Having a UPS on my phone/router I guess is pointless if Rogers do not have their equipment connected to any sort of backup power system for outages.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here's an idea. If having a home phone with some kind of back up power in the event of a hydro outage is necessary, why not switch to wireless home phone (if available).

Chances are if its available, you may be able to port your landline number over to the wireless home phone, it works relatively well my godfather has it, and it is cellular based so if the hydro goes out, chances are it will work as long as your cell phone works, it comes with a battery but most people prefer to plug it and their cordless phone into a APC UPS device too for further piece of mind

I'm a Senior Advisor

I never check the "Home Phone" forum because I have a real copper land line. When the Hydro is out only my cordless phones don't work  A couple of regular phones, even a 1960s rotary phone, work indefinitely and I can call the Hydro outage line to get updates.  Currently my ISP and phone provider, Execulink, is upgrading to fibre in my area and I just attended an info session on this. My concern was the new "home phone" service we'll be getting and whether it would go dead when the hydro goes out. The answer was that all my phones would work and in case of a power outage there is battery backup for 6-8 hours. At least that's how it works with fibre.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm Here A Lot

Same situation.  Very disappointed and also considering moving my services  to Bell.  Not having a cell phone is a personal choice but a land line should always be available during emergencies.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Be very wary of what providers call "home phone".  It's a form of digital facsimile of a real phone line, a copper line coming into your house from your phone company. It won't work if your Hydro goes out, or at least not for long. Withe the transition to fibre phone lines, it seems that even those won't stay active in the event of a power outage for more than 8 hours with provider battery backup. In this age of the smartphone, landline phones take a back seat.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario