cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask an Expert: Ignite TV Pt. II

RogersTony

Alright everyone! The time has come, Product Managers @RogersJose@Rogers_D,  and @Rogers_Red5 are here for the next 3 days to answer all your questions about Ignite TV, Ignite WiFi Hub, your Ignite Internet Modem and any other questions you may have.

They will do their best to answer your questions on a first come - first serve basis. But we all know some questions are easier than others, so please allow time for them to get the best answer for you. We promise, no question will go unanswered, no one will be left out.

Remember, you must be a registered user to post a question. Not registered? Click here to sign up.

Ask an Expert Guidelines

Here are some guidelines to keep the event running smoothly. As always, our Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

1. If you have a question to ask, simply post in the Ask an Expert: Ignite TV Pt. II thread. The Experts will reply as soon as they have your answer.

2. @RogersJose, @Rogers_D, and @Rogers_Red5  will be available to answer questions throughout the entire 3 days, but please patient and allow time for a response.

3. @RogersJose, @Rogers_D, and @Rogers_Red5 will not be able to comment on products or services that haven't been announced so please keep the conversation on topic for the event and the Community.

81 REPLIES 81

Re: Ask an Expert: Ignite TV Pt. II

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There have been signs that an "Amazon Prime Video" App will be "coming soon" to Ignite TV for a while now.  Do you have any updates as to when this might happen?  Are there firm plans to add support for any other streaming services?  Some have asked about the possibility of a "Disney+" App.

Rogers_D
Product Manager
Product Manager

@-G- wrote:

There have been signs that an "Amazon Prime Video" App will be "coming soon" to Ignite TV for a while now.  Do you have any updates as to when this might happen?  Are there firm plans to add support for any other streaming services?  Some have asked about the possibility of a "Disney+" App.

Amazon Prime Video is indeed coming soon! There have been various complications arising from the setup that prevented us from launching it just yet, we want to make sure it can be properly troubleshot before releasing into the wild. Certainly within the month, barring any unforeseen further issues. We are also looking forward to launching it, it is so popular, “Amazon Prime” shows up in our Voice search term results, even though it hasn’t launched yet! As for other services, know that we are actively investigating app expansions into other video streaming services, but cannot yet release which ones until we have contractual terms set up. And we hear you about Disney+! Certainly a hot topic. Know that it is being worked on, knowing how popular it is, but won't be on Ignite for the time of its Canadian launch due to the time needed to work out contracts and the technical integration. I can assure you that we are working hard to add more apps to Ignite for sure, to enhance the product that much more!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersJose  / @Rogers_D  / @Rogers_Red5  Thanks very much for participating in this event!

It's quiet here, so I'll ask a few more questions.  🙂

Are there plans to expand the Cloud PVR storage?  200 Hours sounds like a lot but it fills up VERY quickly.

Are there any plans to offer an Ignite TV app on Apple TV?

Fibe TV offers both a "Tile" and a "List" view when browsing content.  Can we get "List View" added to Ignite TV?  Currently, if I try to browse "All Movies" in "Crave + Movies + HBO", I see 1015 available titles.  It's REALLY painful going though such a list 6 titles at a time.

Is there any way for us to clear the stored history of all content that we previously viewed on Ignite TV?  Some may want to do this to reset the suggested content that's offered.  Others may want to do this for privacy reasons.

Can we PLEASE get the ability to COMPLETELY disable Wi-Fi on the XB6 modem/gateway?  Even with "bridge mode" enabled, the XB6 still has several hidden networks active and there is no way to disable those or to disable the radios on the XB6.  When using an external Wi-Fi mesh network, Wi-Fi on the XB6 serves no purpose and just pollutes the local Wi-Fi environment with unnecessary interference.  (Personally, I would rather have the option of using my own network gear with a Technicolor TC4400 modem.)

Can you say anything about ongoing efforts to further improve picture quality on Ignite TV?  It looks a lot better now than what I saw when I initially tried it out it in a Rogers store last year.  However, some would like to see better quality on 4K channels.  (Of course, that's subject to the quality of the source content.)  I would like to see better encoding of interlaced content: Picture quality, especially when you have a scene with a slow pan, looks awful; the only way that I can describe it is that it looks similar to telecine judder.

"Ask an Expert" events are always great.  However, is there any other official channel where we can submit feature requests and other suggestions for consideration?

Thanks!

TyWilliamsCA
I plan to stick around

Ignite & Radio Stations

• When I was upgrading I was told every channel I had would be available so I was sad to see the radio stations no longer be offered. Stingray is ok but I, and my dog miss the Q107 channel. Will radio stations be making a comeback? 

Free to me - Subscription required channels appearing

• How do I remove channels I do not have a subscription too? The Free to Me option still shows channels I don't have a subscription too which is pretty annoying 

Show me what movies are on

• How can we make this show it shows movies you have access to, not movies on channels you don't have a subscription too? Show me just the movies I have access too 

Bridge Admin Password

• Why can't I access my modem when its in Bridge mode? The admin account password must get changed when you toggle Bridge mode on - this is confusing? Is this expected? If so why? 

Plex

• Netflix and Amazon are great but integrating Plex would be fantastic... how do we get this on the roadmap 😉

WiFi Settings

• Why do you hide the Wi-Fi settings through a special sequence in the remote? This menu should be accessible with perhaps a warning to not modify unless you know when your doing. 

Beyond this I have been really happy with my IgniteTV service 🙂 

@TyWilliamsCA  I can still go to http://10.0.0.1/ and log into my XB6 when it is in bridge mode.  (It might be a configuration issue on your side.  If you like, I would be happy to describe my working setup in another thread.)

However, for some reason, I lost the ability to log into my modem when "Connected Devices > Devices > Prefer Private Connection" is disabled.  So...  now I have to ask, what does this setting do?  It's not documented anywhere.

Re: the obscure key sequence to initiate a Wi-Fi pairing, it's not something that is required in a default configuration with Xfinity so that might be why it's hidden.  It may also be hidden to prevent less technical users from inadvertently unpairing their Xi6.  "9434" spells "WIFI", so that makes it a bit less obscure.  There are also many other secret "magic codes" that are not documented anywhere either.

Another request: It would be really nice if a comprehensive list of Ignite TV error codes could be available on rogers.com

Webster01
I plan to stick around

A big thumbs up to the news that we will soon have Amazon Prime on Ignite.  I would LIKE but the system doesn't seem to want to let me do that today.   My question relates to the Web Portal for Ignite.  We have created a Favorites list through the TV remote for our TV's but when we try to access Favorites on the Web it comes back and says we don't have any content in our Favorites.  I have hesitated to create a Favorites list on the Web Portal for fear I may cause an issue with the existing list.  Should I go ahead and do this or is this a glitch that needs fixing?  Also we are loving Ignite!

Square
I'm a reliable contributor

My question is about Dolby Digital 5.1.  My AVR with Digital Cable used to switch the audio when a channel had no DD 5.1 to Pro Logic.   With Ignite TV, my AVR always shows DD 5.1 and the channels that are not broadcast in DD 5.1, my recordings and On Demand content are only coming out the front left and right speakers.

@Webster01 wrote:

A big thumbs up to the news that we will soon have Amazon Prime on Ignite.  I would LIKE but the system doesn't seem to want to let me do that today.   My question relates to the Web Portal for Ignite.  We have created a Favorites list through the TV remote for our TV's but when we try to access Favorites on the Web it comes back and says we don't have any content in our Favorites.  I have hesitated to create a Favorites list on the Web Portal for fear I may cause an issue with the existing list.  Should I go ahead and do this or is this a glitch that needs fixing?  Also we are loving Ignite!

We have tested this on our end since reading your post and we have been unable to replicate. The favourites list should co-exist on the Web Portal and the Ignite TV boxes. It sounds like this may be an issue you will need to call into Technical Support to investigate.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Square:

What audio mode do you have the Xi6 in? In the audio settings set it to expert mode then all audio modes pass through to your AVR as transmitted.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Web portal favorites and favorites on the Ignite boxes are not the same.

I just went through and removed all the favorites channels on the Web portal and they have no effect on the favorites on the Ignite boxes. Even after restarting the Xi6.

Bill

98765432l
I plan to stick around

Need to expand ability to watch Ingite tv on other tv's or devices.  As a Rogers customer we are aware of the Bell Fibe app being available on many more devices.  Please expand Ignite tv app for any or all of the following

Ignite tv app for apple tv box

Ignite tv app on iPhone or iPad able to cast to tv

Ignite tv app for Fire tv or fire stick

Webster01
I plan to stick around

Ok will follow-up with support tks.

Webster01
I plan to stick around

Thanks Bill...responded to the Experts before I saw you had responded to my post as well.  I guess I will just go ahead and set up favorites on the Web Portal then.  It is strange that the two seem to be separate operations.  I would have gone this route before if it were not for fear of creating some sort of issue with the TV boxes.

TyWilliamsCA
I plan to stick around

@-G- wrote:

@TyWilliamsCA  I can still go to http://10.0.0.1/ and log into my XB6 when it is in bridge mode.  (It might be a configuration issue on your side.  If you like, I would be happy to describe my working setup in another thread.)

This is the strange part... when it was set up I had the tech place it in Bridge mode and found I couldn't access it using the default admin/password so I reset the modem completely, set a new password, ran it for a day in gateway mode then switched to Bridge. I was able to login without issue every time when using Gateway mode. Since changing to Bridge mode the same login credentials no longer work leaving me unable to access the router (default options dont work either)

@-G- wrote:

Another request: It would be really nice if a comprehensive list of Ignite TV error codes could be available on rogers.com

+1 to this! Document, document, document!!! 

@98765432l wrote:

Need to expand ability to watch Ingite tv on other tv's or devices.  As a Rogers customer we are aware of the Bell Fibe app being available on many more devices.  Please expand Ignite tv app for any or all of the following

Ignite tv app for apple tv box

Ignite tv app on iPhone or iPad able to cast to tv

Ignite tv app for Fire tv or fire stick

Hi @98765432l ,

We have a lot of exciting new features that will be coming to Ignite TV. Stay tuned!

TyWilliamsCA
I plan to stick around

@Biollw wrote:

Square:

What audio mode do you have the Xi6 in? In the audio settings set it to expert mode then all audio modes pass through to your AVR as transmitted.

This was bugging me too so I'll switch mine to Expert, today I learned 🙂 

Not to beat a dead horse but this is a great example of a feature that isn't documented properly and should be because the limited text shown in the menu setting isn't overly helpful. 

98765432l
I plan to stick around

Christmas shopping is upon us.  I hope you announce your new features soon as this would be a good time to offer an app for apple and fire products

thanks

@TyWilliamsCA wrote:

@-G- wrote:

This is the strange part... when it was set up I had the tech place it in Bridge mode and found I couldn't access it using the default admin/password so I reset the modem completely, set a new password, ran it for a day in gateway mode then switched to Bridge. I was able to login without issue every time when using Gateway mode. Since changing to Bridge mode the same login credentials no longer work leaving me unable to access the router (default options dont work either)

If you can, try connecting a computer with a wired connection (and, ideally, a software firewall) directly into the XB6 (temporarily, in place of your router) for a quick test to see if you can log in, just to make sure that your difficulties are not due to a routing issue.

@-G- wrote:

@RogersJose  / @Rogers_D  / @Rogers_Red5  Thanks very much for participating in this event!

It's quiet here, so I'll ask a few more questions. 

Are there plans to expand the Cloud PVR storage?  200 Hours sounds like a lot but it fills up VERY quickly.

We do have plans to expand the CPVR storage capacity in the future, stay tuned!

Are there any plans to offer an Ignite TV app on Apple TV?

We have a lot of exciting new features that will be coming to Ignite TV. Stay tuned!

Fibe TV offers both a "Tile" and a "List" view when browsing content.  Can we get "List View" added to Ignite TV?  Currently, if I try to browse "All Movies" in "Crave + Movies + HBO", I see 1015 available titles.  It's REALLY painful going though such a list 6 titles at a time.

Thank you for the feedback! We are always working with our partners to enhance the user experience to make your life easier. For now, I would recommend leveraging the “Filter” and “Sort” options to narrow down the larger listings.

Is there any way for us to clear the stored history of all content that we previously viewed on Ignite TV?  Some may want to do this to reset the suggested content that's offered.  Others may want to do this for privacy reasons.

• There are two options here.

• If you want to clear something in specific that’s been watched such as a movie, you can select the movie, click on the “…” button on the right, and select “Mark Unwatched”
    • You can clear “Recently Watched” history by pressing the “Last” button, followed by the “d” button.

Can we PLEASE get the ability to COMPLETELY disable Wi-Fi on the XB6 modem/gateway?  Even with "bridge mode" enabled, the XB6 still has several hidden networks active and there is no way to disable those or to disable the radios on the XB6.  When using an external Wi-Fi mesh network, Wi-Fi on the XB6 serves no purpose and just pollutes the local Wi-Fi environment with unnecessary interference.  (Personally, I would rather have the option of using my own network gear with a Technicolor TC4400 modem.)

At this time, we’re currently offering our customers the option to control their Connected Home experience through the Ignite WiFi Hub, where all their devices ride on the Wi-Fi that the XB6 modem and Ignite WiFi pods deliver.

Can you say anything about ongoing efforts to further improve picture quality on Ignite TV?  It looks a lot better now than what I saw when I initially tried it out it in a Rogers store last year.  However, some would like to see better quality on 4K channels.  (Of course, that's subject to the quality of the source content.) 

I would like to see better encoding of interlaced content: Picture quality, especially when you have a scene with a slow pan, looks awful; the only way that I can describe it is that it looks similar to telecine judder.

This is definitely one of our top priorities. We monitor the status and quality of our streams and are constantly working to tweak and improve on them.  Can you provide some examples which channels/what time you are seeing the issues? As you mentioned, many times this requires us to go back to the source.

"Ask an Expert" events are always great.  However, is there any other official channel where we can submit feature requests and other suggestions for consideration?

Feel free to reach out to us via Social Media on Twitter or Facebook or here in the Community Forums to provide us with your suggestions and feedback!

Thanks!

@Rogers_Red5 wrote:

• There are two options here.

• If you want to clear something in specific that’s been watched such as a movie, you can select the movie, click on the “…” button on the right, and select “Mark Unwatched”
    • You can clear “Recently Watched” history by pressing the “Last” button, followed by the “d” button.

I already do that... it's not very convenient... and it would be nice to have an option, similar to what Fibe TV offers, where you can view your entire History and delete any specific (or all) stored items in History.  I also, personally, find suggested content to be rather annoying.  Others find building viewership profiles rather creepy.  I hope, for everybody's sake, that we will have better options in the future.

At this time, we’re currently offering our customers the option to control their Connected Home experience through the Ignite WiFi Hub, where all their devices ride on the Wi-Fi that the XB6 modem and Ignite WiFi pods deliver.

Don't take this the wrong way but I would rather manage my own "Connected Home" experience on my own hardware.  I've already had a VERY negative experience with Ignite WiFi Hub enabling Wi-Fi on my XB6, even in bridge mode, with every indicator on the XB6 saying that WiFi was disabled when it was not.  Even tech support could not see that Wi-Fi had been enabled.  My Wi-Fi scanner said otherwise.  For more info, see this thread.

In the process of trying to figure out what was going on, Tech Support replaced by XB6, and the Field Tech replaced my Technicolor unit with an Arris model.  That didn't fix the problem and now I'm stuck with a modem with an Intel Puma chipset and even buggier firmware.

In my opinion, the biggest "plus" about Ignite TV is that is works on 3rd-party WiFi and that the XB6 has Bridge Mode.  Less is more.  If I can't disable Wi-Fi on the XB6 completely, I'll surround the unit with a Faraday cage.

Can you say anything about ongoing efforts to further improve picture quality on Ignite TV?  It looks a lot better now than what I saw when I initially tried it out it in a Rogers store last year.  However, some would like to see better quality on 4K channels.  (Of course, that's subject to the quality of the source content.) 

I would like to see better encoding of interlaced content: Picture quality, especially when you have a scene with a slow pan, looks awful; the only way that I can describe it is that it looks similar to telecine judder.

This is definitely one of our top priorities. We monitor the status and quality of our streams and are constantly working to tweak and improve on them.  Can you provide some examples which channels/what time you are seeing the issues? As you mentioned, many times this requires us to go back to the source.

Sure!  Watch "Star Trek: Generations" the next time that it airs on CTV Sci-Fi, specifically the opening scene, as the "camera" pans to follow the champagne bottle as it moves against the star field background.

For another example, watch "Hot Ones", between scenes ,when they show the next hot sauce that they are about to sample.  Note the judder when the camera pans across the bottles on the table.  "Hot Ones" airs on Global after Saturday Night Live.

Thanks very much!

Topic Stats