cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers anywhere tv app on sony bravia tv

gvc1
I've been here awhile

At my cottage and trying to get the anywhere app on my sony tv.  I can get the Bell one but not rogers

My best case is getting on my computer and using HDMI cable but it gets blurry

Why is this so hard?

Solutions?

***Added Labels***

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Rogers anywhere tv app on sony bravia tv

Lurker
I'm a senior advisor
As has been mention d many times on this board, Anyplace TV is not a cable box replacement.

You cannot "cast" Anyplace TV to a larger screen. It is designed for mobile/computer use only.

gvc1
I've been here awhile

Then I guess its very poorly branded! thx for the message.  It does seem strange to me that I can watch on my ipad and iphone sitting beside my tv, which I guess I will leave on the fireplace channel - oh I don't get that.

There is no cable access where I am.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That sort of brings up the 'point' of it.

While yes, the anywhere TV app is designed to watch stuff while not at home.. its designed for phones, tablets, etc.. for personal watching.

TV watching is to be done at the place where the service it paid for, which would then have the cable access.

This is a reason why that many services are some times not CASTABLE to TVs either.
The license is not there (been paid)  for most of the media, to be able to be played back in that way, that its not supposed to be able to be viewed by a larger group of people in front of a TV.  Just a single person.
Helps prevent 'account sharing' so to speak at well i guess.  That person A can pay for the service at their house, but let X many other people use their login to view at their homes, etc.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Hi.
What Gdkitty said is correct. That app was purposely designed as an app to "complement" your tv service by giving you "some live content" permitting the proper licencing rights to view on a mobile or tablet in addition to your current tv subscription. It was not designed to "Replace" your cable box or television set with an over the top app/device solution.

One does not truely exist that has the licence to watch all cable channels on the go but we are close to getting there. Some companies offer similar services but still not every channel is available on the go.

I predicted a long time ago that eventually cable companies like rogers cable and bell fibe and others will simply be an app on our smart tv and we will get rid of bulky cable boxes and coax cables. Were not there yet but were close to it.

TheArcher
I plan to stick around

If you get AnyplaceTV  on a computer using the Chrome browser then you can cast it to a TV using Chromecast.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TheArcher : Really?  I thought that casting and connecting via HDMI was not possible, other than via a Rogers box.  Viewing on the device (phone, tablet, laptop) is possible with certain other restrictions, like which channels, etc.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
There is different methods of casting, we should all be familiar with how they work before we start to jump to conclusions.

Cast to TV - An app specifically designed to cast its video content to display on a chromecast enabled TV Screen, this means the app on your tablet or browser will not show video on the app anymore, it will just be for controlling like changing channels, guide, etc. the video will appear strictly on the TV its casting to. These apps need to have the casting ability enabled on them for this to work otherwise you will get an error message.

Mirroring to TV. - Your basically mirroring your tablet or smartphones screen whatever you see on the smartphone or tablet you will see on your chromecast enabled tv. This is great but the refresh rate and/or video may be a bit choppy due to the extra bandwidth this uses. Some apps are smart enough to "detect" if your mirroring and will not run the app and give you an error message telling you to turn off mirroring for the app to work, which then forces you to watch the video in the app of your device and not casted to the tv.

Casting from your browser - Basically the Google Chrome Browser has this feature built in where any website you are on can be casted to your chromecast enabled tv. Since your casting an actual WEBSITE and NOT an App, the restrictions I mentioned in both above examples do not apply, because its a website and not an app there is less information that can be known about how your displaying your connection. Basically you would use the Rogers anyplace TV Website to login and watch tv, so its web based, and not app based so the performance and quality might be slower. but anything you see on the browser will be able to show up on your screen, The cons? you need to have a laptop (or supported tablet, not all tablets support this fyi) running along with your tv set for the video to work. so yes it can get cumbersome. but what ever you see on your laptop will display on your chromecast enabled tv screen, but might be a bit choppy.

The forth method, is connecting your laptop to your tv via hdmi cable, this does not require chromecast, and just needs a hdmi out on the laptop and an hdmi in on the tv. Same as the example above, they will not know your displaying on an external monitor so there is no restrictions, and you still need to browse the RAPTV website thru a browser, but since its hdmi and NOT chromecast, the video might be a bit less choppy and more stable, but its still getting the video from the website so browser and memory of laptop can impact your connection

Hope This Helps

TheArcher
I plan to stick around

I rarely use Anyplace TV but before I sent the previous message I did bring up Anyplace TV in a tab in the Chrome browser. I was then able to cast anything on the tab to my TV with Chromecast. Anything on Anyplace TV that I could open on the laptop, I could cast and view on the TV. Quality is good.

March123
I've been around
So why can I not use HDMI from my Samsung Note9. The app tells me I cannot stream and mirror but I can do it from the laptop the same way.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
The laptop will not block an hdmi out because it will have no way of telling the website what screen your watching it on. The mobile phone tells everything to the app so it knows your connected via hdmi and will block it mostly because they negociated and agreed to the rights holders for these restrictions to be put in place and enforced on their mobile app.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to expand a bit more on what Pauly said.

As he said, its more about rights. 
That when you are paying for  your TV, and get the Anyplace TV included, you are paying to watch it in your house.  And in the case of anyplace TV, for you personally to watch elsewhere.  (assuming that only you will be watching on  your small screen). 
That with your payments, your paying for  you to watch it, not someone else.

That with allowing to stream via other methods from the phone, etc.. makes it way to easy to technically then just plug in at any friends place, and watch stuff there.  Which 'technically' isnt allowed due to those rights.
Though.. this then effects being able to watch in  your own home then too 😞 (but they assume you have TV boxes there).

As  Pauly said, the computer they dont really have any way of knowing/monitoring in the same way.
On phones there are ways of monitoring the hardware & methods of output. 

solution = switch to BELL - 

I had rogers...I now have Bell and can cast from their streaming app on my iphone onto any TV using my Chromecast as long as the Chromecast and my phone are on the same Wifi

I think Rogers uses copyrights etc as an excuse, because Bell has the same shows and its not problem.

Right.
But its who OWNS the shows.

And guess which company, after they bought chorus... owns the rights to about probably 2/3 of the channels in canada now? 😞

Regardless, most of its probably MOOT now, with this App with rogers at least.  As it will probably be no longer developed with the move to Ignite.

howiechips
I've been here awhile
Hey Rogers:Why? The competition Bell has an app that casts. Do you want everyone to switch and stop using your box rentals???
Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 9 in conversation