cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone switching to Roaming

ben777777777777
I've been here awhile

Whenever I go underground or am in a building my phone goes roaming for inconsistent amounts of time. I'm sitting on my cpu connected to wifi, yet I'm out of my coverage area? This is getting ridiculous, sitting at home and roaming has been up for several hours now

*Edited Labels*

21 REPLIES 21

Re: Phone switching to Roaming

RogersMaude

Good day @ben777777777777,

Welcome to the Rogers Community and thank you for your post!

Experiencing network connectivity issues with your phone can definitely be a pain to deal with.

We will need to get a better understanding of the situation to help you resolve the problem.

• When you mentioned "roaming" are you referring to the Rogers- EXT network, as in extended coverage?

• Have you tried to manually select Rogers in the Carrier options, instead of leaving it on "Automatic"?

I don't want to bombard you with questions, but it would be very helpful to know whether you're using a Rogers device or not.

Also, could you let us know the troubleshooting steps you've perform so far?

Looking forward to your reply!

RogersMaude

I mean as in I can't connect to anything since I "left" my coverage area while sitting in my place most of the morning. That roaming mode that won't let me make calls or use my data for anything I'd like to do on it until its "back" in the coverage area. 

I manually picked ROGERS for my network just now

What is the make and model of your Device? 

Have you done a network reset on your device? 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you have roaming off, it wouldnt jump onto anything else and not be able to do anything.

If you have any semi recent plan, it should contain the extended roaming.  It will roam onto Bell towers, with no additional cost.

As to why? It may be that your in an area with very poor rogers coverage to start? Going inside a house, etc may be even enough to just block off that already weaker signal.. but there may be a Bell tower which is closer, etc.

evilance
I've been around

Roaming Charges Within Canada?

Anybody else getting charged for roaming even though you haven't left the country?  The advice I had was to put my phone on 'airplane mode' if I'm near the ocean (Victoria BC).  This is not useful as it would prevent me from making or receiving phone calls.  Any helpful suggestions appreciated.

@evilance wrote:

Roaming Charges Within Canada?

Anybody else getting charged for roaming even though you haven't left the country?  The advice I had was to put my phone on 'airplane mode' if I'm near the ocean (Victoria BC).  This is not useful as it would prevent me from making or receiving phone calls.  Any helpful suggestions appreciated.

@evilance

What phone are you running? On an iPhone you can go to:

Settings -> Cellular -> Turn off Data Roaming

Settings -> Network Selection -> Change from Auto to "ROGERS"

rajanverma13
I've been here awhile

I don't have this option

Settings -> Network Selection -> Change from Auto to "ROGERS"

anymore in Apple after IOS 12 update.

How to change it.

Also it only happens with Rogers Sim only. With Chatr or Virgin, I can see the option to change from Automatic to Manual.

I called Rogers tech support and they said its a Bug in Apple software. Call Apple support. How it could be possible, if it works with other provider sims and not working with Rogers.

Good morning @rajanverma13!

Welcome to our Community!

Is there any reason, in particular, you're looking to switch this setting off of automatic? In rare circumstances, it can be useful but you should be able to leave it on automatic in most cases.

I just want to be certain that you're not looking to use this setting as a bandaid fix for some larger issue that we should be addressing! Please let me know.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Hi
I usually go to Niagara Falls near US Border for work. It automatically connects to US network, I am on Canadian side. If I manually select Rogers network in Border area then , I don’t have to pay the Roaming charges.
If I put Chatr or Vigin Sim it works ok.

Hello @rajanverma13,

Thanks for the further clarification! I can see how not being able to set "Rogers" as your wireless network would present a concern in your case!

We've done some further digging and have concluded that the latest iOS 12 doesn't seem to include this option specifically for Rogers sim cards. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and will be happy to forward this feedback to the appropriate team for further review! 

Thank you!

RogersLaura

Hello Community!

I just wanted to provide an update to my post above! We don’t have exact timing to share, but we are working with Apple on updating the software to allow you to manually select a Canadian carrier in future. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

Just found this thread...this is a deal-breaker for me. I live in close proximity to US. I am often on call for work, and the ability to force my phone to stay on Rogers is absolutely a requirement. In its automatic mode the phone constantly switches between Rogers and AT&T.

Just updated to 12.1  Still no option for manually selecting rogers extended.  Is this happening any time soon?  I live in a rural area and rely on rogers extended.  Now with barely 1 bar 3G and can't even load a web page.  Always times out

Good evening @Sheppy4065,

Thanks for joining the Rogers Community and posting your inquiry.

I understand it must be frustrating when your device does not connect to the network adequately.

You may not have the ability to manually select the Rogers-EXT network. When your device shows Extended Coverage, that means you're connected to the carrier with the strongest signal.

If you manually select Rogers, it may prevent the device from automatically connecting to the carrier with the strongest signal in your area.

Has this recently started happening?

If you have access to a Wi-Fi network at home you may want to look into setting up Wi-Fi Calling.

RogersMaude

Sheppy4065
I've been here awhile

Thank you for the reply.  Yes I do have wifi calling setup.  This is only new with the iOS 12 update.  We have now lost the option to manually select a carrier.  In my situation our family is use to selecting Rogers Extended on their phones if they are in around the house/property.  Household wifi is weak as well based on our rural setting.

Our phones switch between no service and 1 bar 3 G.  Most times it will not connect to the internet unless in Rogers Extended mode.  Most times we have to turn automatic carrier off and then select Rogers Extended.  It does not seem to go to extended when in automatic mode.

I read in an earlier post that Rogers is working with Apple to get this feature put back on with iOS.

@Sheppy4065 wrote:

I read in an earlier post that Rogers is working with Apple to get this feature put back on with iOS.

The next release of iOS should return the ability to manually select the network.

Lola71
I've been around
why am i roaming if im in Canada?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Lola71, Theres other wireless carriers in Canada besides Rogers Wireless.

When your roaming in Canada it means your in a area that another company has a tower but rogers does not have a tower so you will roam on them.

KNet
I've been around

Looking to have better cellphone coverage in the Kootenays. There are multiple dead zones in the Nelson, Castlegar, Trail, Rossland area. When closer to the border cellphone will automatically connect to the US towers. I would like to see more infrastructure spending on bringing better coverage to this area.

Topic Stats