Using Apple Watch without iPhone nearby

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Using Apple Watch without iPhone nearby

I paired it up with my iPhone 7 and while iPhone is ON i can make calls and use data and messages on my apple watch but when i turn the iPhone OFF only phone call work on apple watch while data and messages dont work at all.
Am i doing something wrong?

*Added Labels*

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Using Apple Watch without iPhone nearby

Hello, @joker.

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. It is advantageous not to carry your iPhone when you have an Apple Watch paired and connected to the cellular network.

The features you have mentioned will only work if your paired iPhone is powered on and connected to WiFi or cellular network.

You may want to check the support article to know more about using your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I've Been Here Awhile

Apple Watch SMS Impossible

Has anyone ever been able to SMS (iMessage off) on Apple Watch 4 with Cell Plan when iPhone in a different location?

After 2 months, and 10+ hours with Rogers support they say it not possible by design!  Despite Apple/Google and Rogers website saying you can as well CNET reviews etc.

Hello, @dykstra13.

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community. As per the support article posted in the solution post and another one specific to can't send or receive messages; it seems iMessage has to be turned on. 

@nasa25 may be able to comment on this matter. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dykstra13 : Check out the "Support Article" in the last paragraph of post 2. It's pretty clear on what can and cannot be done without the Phone nearby, however, also note that the phone itself must be in a certain "state" (on, WiFi, cellular connection, etc.) for certain functionality.

I've Been Here Awhile

Unfortunately it isn't that clear to me as most articles/Roger's advertising use wording such:

To send and receive SMS/MMS from cellular models..(no mention of iMessaging, only near bottom for 3rd party          apps)

Your watch can do everything that it normally does, even if your iPhone isn't with you (I know it has to be on).

As well as:

Apple said it doesn't have to be

Rogers tech support took 2 months to figure this out

iMessage has to be turned on to SMS  (isn't intuitive)

if SMS does work with iMessage turned on, my phone texting will be delayed as it will attempt to imessage first         then switch to SMS eventually (sometimes takes a while or messages get hung up)

iMessage needs to be on to SMS a non apple recipient (again, not intuitive)

When iMessage is turned off, the watch still tries to send SMS with a Green Status bar, but then fails (implies     

phone has some type of capability to send straight SMS)

I will test it though and follow up.  

I've Been Here Awhile

try  this...

make sure watch and phone are all signed into imessages using your apple id

turn your iPhone off

send message from apple watch Smiley Happy