cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Apple Watch without iPhone nearby

joker
I've been here awhile

I paired it up with my iPhone 7 and while iPhone is ON i can make calls and use data and messages on my apple watch but when i turn the iPhone OFF only phone call work on apple watch while data and messages dont work at all.
Am i doing something wrong?

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Using Apple Watch without iPhone nearby

RogersMoin

Hello, @joker.

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. It is advantageous not to carry your iPhone when you have an Apple Watch paired and connected to the cellular network.

The features you have mentioned will only work if your paired iPhone is powered on and connected to WiFi or cellular network.

You may want to check the support article to know more about using your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

RogersMoin

Hello, @joker.

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. It is advantageous not to carry your iPhone when you have an Apple Watch paired and connected to the cellular network.

The features you have mentioned will only work if your paired iPhone is powered on and connected to WiFi or cellular network.

You may want to check the support article to know more about using your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

dykstra13
I've been here awhile

Apple Watch SMS Impossible

Has anyone ever been able to SMS (iMessage off) on Apple Watch 4 with Cell Plan when iPhone in a different location?

After 2 months, and 10+ hours with Rogers support they say it not possible by design!  Despite Apple/Google and Rogers website saying you can as well CNET reviews etc.

Hello, @dykstra13.

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community. As per the support article posted in the solution post and another one specific to can't send or receive messages; it seems iMessage has to be turned on. 

@nasa25 may be able to comment on this matter. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dykstra13 : Check out the "Support Article" in the last paragraph of post 2. It's pretty clear on what can and cannot be done without the Phone nearby, however, also note that the phone itself must be in a certain "state" (on, WiFi, cellular connection, etc.) for certain functionality.

dykstra13
I've been here awhile

Unfortunately it isn't that clear to me as most articles/Roger's advertising use wording such:

To send and receive SMS/MMS from cellular models..(no mention of iMessaging, only near bottom for 3rd party          apps)

Your watch can do everything that it normally does, even if your iPhone isn't with you (I know it has to be on).

As well as:

Apple said it doesn't have to be

Rogers tech support took 2 months to figure this out

iMessage has to be turned on to SMS  (isn't intuitive)

if SMS does work with iMessage turned on, my phone texting will be delayed as it will attempt to imessage first         then switch to SMS eventually (sometimes takes a while or messages get hung up)

iMessage needs to be on to SMS a non apple recipient (again, not intuitive)

When iMessage is turned off, the watch still tries to send SMS with a Green Status bar, but then fails (implies     

phone has some type of capability to send straight SMS)

I will test it though and follow up.  

joker
I've been here awhile

try  this...

make sure watch and phone are all signed into imessages using your apple id

turn your iPhone off

send message from apple watch 🙂

I am having the same problem. I have ensured that my phone is turned on and connected. Nothing will send from my watch over cellular

Hello and welcome to our Community @dmpurvis!

I'm here to help but I'm hoping you can provide us with a little more info... 

Have you already signed up for an Apple Watch plan with us?

What kind of iPhone are you using? Can you also please confirm which iOS version and watchOS version you're using? 

This page offers instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT207578

Regards,

RogersCorey

My Apple watch is series 4, LTE version, and the system version is watchOS 7.3

I registered the Apple Watch LTE service in 2019, and it worked well for a long time.

Due to the COVID-19, I worked from home in last year. I don't use the LTE function since then.

Last weekend, I went outside and tried to use the LTE connection on my watch. ( I didn't take my iPhone with me.) However, it cannot connect to the celluar network. I have no idea what happened.

I checked all settings. I tried to unpair my watch and pair it again, but it didn't work. I also unlinked my watch from Rogers and relink, it didn't work either.

Now, on my watch>> Settings>> Celluar Network>> it shows: Plan: Rogers; Status: No connection.

It means there is something wrong that blocks the connection channel (I guess).

I'm sure that my watch is fine (Stainless steel version and I am keeping it very well.)

I guess there are probably two reasons:

1, WatchOS update: My watch is always kept to the lastest version, but after the update, I didn't test the LTE function. However, I don't find any complaint about the watchOS 7.3 from the internet. Or any news about function deficiency.

2, There is some problem about the setting, and it results that my watch is denied to access the celluar network. (I'm sure the celluar signal is strong enough, because my iPhone can connect to the LTE network very well at the same place.) I have this idea because my watch can find the network. (When I reactivated my watch, it succeeded.) However, the status shows no connection.

Yesterday, I communicated with an agent from Rogers. However, all his solutions failed. (unpair and pair again; reset my watch; unlink and relink) .

Could anyone help me please? Or any Rogers user ever met the similar problem?

Thank you very much.

Hey @Frank_Toronto!

Welcome to the community!

This is certainly an interesting issue you're facing, There's a few possibilities as to the source of the issue but we'll just need a bit more information to assist in getting to the bottom of it. I'm curious, can you confirm for me if your apple watch has remained active since 2019 or was the line cancelled at any point? Was there a change in phone as well during that period?

Keep us posted, thanks!

@RogersAndy

Hi @RogersAndy :

I changed my phone service from Fido to Rogers in Jan or probably Feb in 2019, and remained since then.

I bought my Apple Watch Series 4 in Aug 2019, and registered my smartwatch service in Sep 2019.

Since then, I never changed or terminated my phone or my watch services.

Before COVID-19 outbreak, I usually jogged with my watch alone. I can use it to receive messages and calls, to listen music, and to pay with Apple Pay. However, I don't use LTE function from last year until last weekend. I don't remember exactly how long I don't use, but I am sure at least half a year. From that time, I always keep my watch updated to the latest version, but I don't test if LTE function works well after updates. (I don't hear any news about LTE bugs in recent updates from Apple.)

Thank you very much. I am glad to hear any advice.

Good evening @Frank_Toronto,

Thanks for your reply! If you don't get notifications, messages, or calls on your Apple Watch, your Apple Watch and iPhone might not be connected. When your devices disconnect, the red iPhone icon or the red X icon appears on your watch face. When your Apple Watch connects again, the green iPhone icon appears.

First, bring your Apple Watch and paired iPhone close together. If you see that the devices are disconnected, try the steps below.

Try to connect your Apple Watch and iPhone again:

1. Keep your Apple Watch and paired iPhone close together to make sure that they're in range.
  2. On your iPhone, make sure that Airplane Mode is off and that Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are on. To check, open Control Center
  3. Restart your Apple Watch and iPhone.

If your Apple Watch still can't connect, unpair it from your iPhone, then pair your Apple Watch and iPhone again.

How to unpair your Apple Watch from your iPhone:

1. Keep your Apple Watch and iPhone close together as you unpair them.
  2. Open the Watch app on your iPhone.
  3. Go to the My Watch tab and tap All Watches.
  4. Tap the info button next to the watch that you want to unpair. 
  5. Tap Unpair Apple Watch.
  6. Choose to keep your cellular plan. 
    • If you want to pair your Apple Watch and iPhone again, keep your plan. 
  7. Tap again to confirm. You might need to enter your Apple ID password to disable Activation Lock. Before erasing all content and settings on your Apple Watch, your iPhone creates a new backup of your Apple Watch. You can use the backup to restore a new Apple Watch.
  8. After your Apple Watch unpairs, you'll see the Start Pairing message.

Let us know if you need further assistance!

RogersMaude

Hi Andy & Maude,

I'm glad to tell you that Rogers customer service agents have helped me fixed the issue.

They seemingly "reset" the registration of my watch on Rogers server. So when I unlinked my watch and relink again, all things became normal.

I guess the reason is I haven't link my watch to the celluar network for a long time, and the server marked my watch as an inactive device. Or something like that.

Now everything goes well with my watch.

Thank you for your assistance and Rogers service.

Topic Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 9 in conversation