cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pictures sent via imessage to imessage

soph1a0706
I plan to stick around

Question,

I have an iphone with regular text messages and 6GB of data. I do regular imessages to friends and family, sometime with pictures.  I am being charged recently in the last couple of months for pictures/video messages.

I checked and checked but all my messages that has a picture were sent via imessages (blue bubble) .

Talking to LIVE CHAT, i am getting this answer:

I understand however it's the same way as calling long distance by via app. We do face inquiries when a call was placed by Whatsapp or even Viber through long distance, even if it's through app which uses via data it's still going to use minutes because it's still considered placing a call. Forwarding a multimedia text message through an app will be considered as a normal text which will be charged as multimedia text since your current plan does not includes this feature.

so thats pretty much mean, i am using up my data and messages count on every imessages i sent out?

Yes, because your sending your file which uses data and since it's through an app it's considered as text message.

So from what i am reading, when sending an imessage; it consider as data usage and a regular text message for every imessage i sent out.

Does anyone else see an issue here? or this rep is off and made up something for the charges.

Thanks.

***Edited Labels***
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Pictures sent via imessage to imessage

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Interesting.

Yeah, as far as I am aware of, iMessage is iMessage... as long as it between two apple devices.. it should be using DATA and not any other method
Now.. if for whatever reason it cant send to that recepient, it will fail over to sending via text.. but will change the sent bubble for the chat part in GREEN.

Though i have not had a plan which DOESNT include MMS.. so i wouldnt really know.

I guess a test... would be to go into your message settings on the phone.. you can turn OFF MMS messaging.  
Though i dont know if it turns it off for imessage as well as just SMS.. doesnt really say.

But if you can send imessages still fine with a picture.. but not texts.. 
Would prove that iMessage is separate.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Interesting.

Yeah, as far as I am aware of, iMessage is iMessage... as long as it between two apple devices.. it should be using DATA and not any other method
Now.. if for whatever reason it cant send to that recepient, it will fail over to sending via text.. but will change the sent bubble for the chat part in GREEN.

Though i have not had a plan which DOESNT include MMS.. so i wouldnt really know.

I guess a test... would be to go into your message settings on the phone.. you can turn OFF MMS messaging.  
Though i dont know if it turns it off for imessage as well as just SMS.. doesnt really say.

But if you can send imessages still fine with a picture.. but not texts.. 
Would prove that iMessage is separate.

It should not count as an image sent via text. iMessage is data-only AND it's encrypted — so Rogers can't know what you're sending. Turning off MMS should allow texts but not images, as the previous person posted.

soph1a0706
I plan to stick around

After a lengthy converstaion with the Live Chat, the agent relaizse that iMessage does not get charge. The agent had to ask a few other about this before giving me an answer.

I was told that they will escalated this to the manager to get my charges refunded. That was last week, I still haven't gotten a call or a text or an email back from rogers. Very disappointed.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @soph1a0706

Have you called into Rogers or back on live chat to ask what's going on? Weekends they usually don't get back to the customers but i do know some do.

soph1a0706
I plan to stick around

PM me if you need more details.....iMessage seems like a new thing to rongers. LIVE CHAT rep doesn't understand it, I have been repeating myself everytime i speak to them. My issue is still not resolved, apparently managment is looking into it. I havne't gotten a call or a email or anything of such for a follow up.

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @soph1a0706

Have you called into Rogers or back on live chat to ask what's going on? Weekends they usually don't get back to the customers but i do know some do.

GaryReg
I've been around

Erroneous Text messages labelled "Video/pics" charged for 2 phones

The Ph, # Rogers gave me for these charges doesn't exist. I can't get through on the phone, waited for 20 mins, to ring but no one answered. Also, No one responding to CHAT all day!

Hey @GaryReg!

Welcome to the community!

Getting an unexpected charge for MMS would most certainly come as a shock to anyone I'm sure. Regarding the unrecognized number, I wonder if there's a recently installed app on your phone that a photo was sent through. Some apps (though less common today) will route messages through a spoofed number in another country. This can lead to 3rd party charges.

I hope you were able to get through to LiveChat, definitely keep us posted.

@RogersAndy

Nancy12
I'm here a lot

Yes.....I too am getting charged for sending whatsapp texts from Canada to the U.S.   They reasoned that when the wifi signal is dropped, it is picked up by the cellular network so there will be a charge.   But I told them that whatsapp uses data only and does not use sms text messaging.  Even if whatapp is using my cellular data instead of wifi, it would only be data usage only.   I was within my data usage limit and I was not roaming, so why am I being charged as a SMS text?   I think I may have to raise this issue to CCTS

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 in conversation