cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling to Korea. eSim + Sim question.

TorontoDesign
I've been here awhile

I am plannig to get a sim while travelling in Korea. I currently have S22 Ultra with nano sim. 
Is it possible to do following?

#1. Convert current Rogers SIM to eSIM

#2. Use Rogers eSIM for receiving call to Canadian #, calling Canada # and receiving txt by disabling data & roaming & enabling wifi calling.

#3. Insert SIM from Korea

#4. Use data for physical sim, receive txt msg from Korean number (this is a must as you can't do anything without verifying Korean phone number in Korea). Calling and receiving calls would be nice but not 100% required.

***Added Labels***

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Travelling to Korea. eSim + Sim question.

LordDrakkon
I'm a trusted contributor
You should be able to do all of that with a couple of caveats. Some users have reported WiFi Calling not working for them outside of Canada. Personally, I have never had any issues using WiFi Calling outside of Canada. Disabling roaming and data for the Rogers SIM/eSIM is not enough to avoid roaming charges. Once your device pings a tower with that SIM, you are going to be charged for roaming. You will need to disable the eSIM or remove the pSIM before you arrive outside of Canada. Turning off data and roaming does not stop the device from connecting to foreign towers for calls and texts.

Rockfalls
I've been here awhile

So can I install a foreign Sim card in my S22 phone as long as I deactivate my Rodgers Sim card?

Does rodgers allow installation of esim card from another provider or country while travelling overseas?

Hello, @Rockfalls.

Thank you for joining our Community and for your post. There are no restrictions on installing another eSIM on your phone. Please provide us with more details, like the country you are travelling to, whether you will purchase the eSIM before travelling, etc., so we can provide the required details to stay connected overseas.

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Rockfalls
I've been here awhile
I will be traveling in Europe and spreads purchased an Orange esim card. I just need to make sure I am not paying any roaming fees from Rogers as it is asking me to use an unlocked phone. How do I make sure my phone is unlocked?

LordDrakkon
I'm a trusted contributor
Devices sold in Canada come SIM unlocked out of the box. Devices not sold by carriers or big box retailers might that are imported or around 8 or so years old might still need to be SIM unlocked. What device are you using, when did you purchase it, and where did you purchase it?

Rockfalls
I've been here awhile
S22 bought at Costco Wireless booth August 2022. Was already attached to Rogers. I should be fine then.
Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation