Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge Questions / Reservation number!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge Questions / Reservation number!

I think I recall seeing someone post a response, but does anyone know when rogers will have the S7 for preview before the launch? I recall some I be saying March 5th for Best Buy?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @ctjm

I posted that. Unfortunately March 5th is when we get our demo units but it won't be shown to public until a day or so before the launch. The devices will be shown to the employees for training. That's all.

Unfortunately it all depends when each Rogers store gets their demo units. It's not like last year where samsung was showing off the device.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Does anyone know if the S7 being sold by the Samsung Experience store at sherway are going to be unlocked or locked to a particular carrier. I'm currenlty #138 on rogers but am considering doing the 2 hour drive if that means I can get an unlocked phone with the free gear.

Thanks

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @JohnAcki
They are factory unlocked since they are being sold buy Samsung... So yes it's worth the drive. 🙂
I've Been Here Awhile

I just had a discussion with a sales representative from the Samsung experience store.  Apparently the phones are not factory unlocked in the true sense.... I was told that the phones are initially unlocked but will actually lock to the provider of the first Sim card inserted.

Can anyone else confirm this?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @mikie6969

If you are buying them outright from Samsung it SHOULD be unlocked. I got my Note 5 from the sherway store last year and was fully unlocked. Did you ask to speak to a manager and let them know its being bought outright?.
I've Been Here Awhile

I didn't speak to a manager but upon further investigation I came accross this article

Samsung Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge will lock to carrier upon SIM insertion

Today a leaked image of the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge setup guide revealed that Samsung’s 2016 flagships will lock to a carrier once a SIM card is inserted. Historically, most Samsung devices sold through carriers were nevertheless unlocked due to the hassle involved in custom-ordering carrier specific devices. Now it appears that Samsung has found a way for their smartphones to self-customize and lock to a specific carrier when they are first set up, and if carriers take well to this, then we can probably expect the Galaxy line to include this feature going forward.

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-and-galaxy-s7-edge-lock-to-carrier-sim-676653/

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @mikie6969

I guess you forgot to read the whole article.... It states that getting it from Samsung straight will be factory unlocked..

" Bear in mind that there doesn’t seem to be any reason for concern. This naturally wouldn’t apply to SIM-free and carrier unlocked smartphones. If you own a device purchased directly from Samsung or from a non-carrier retailer, then you’ll be able indulge in your commitment issues and flit teasingly between carriers as freely as before."

I also want to make it known this goes for every devices just like the iPhone. They are unlocked until Rogers or any Canadian carrier puts in the sim. Then it becomes sim locked to that carrier. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@mikie6969. The phone comes locked BUT, Samsung will give you the unlock code in store the day you pick it up. I questioned them on this when my receipt said SIM locked. You will definitely be unlocked.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Bcsc

Exactly :). That's how it's always been. I was lucky enough to get a factory unlocked model for my Note 5 last year without doing that but my buddy paid for it and Samsung rep gave him the unlocking code upon getting the device for him. Did the unlock and there we go!