cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Dismiss Amber Alert

Yeegrek
I plan to stick around

Hello,

I received an Amber Alert on my personal S9+ and my work issued S10e (S10e updated to Android 10 and still waiting for my S9+ to get it).  Before anyone yells at me, I'm NOT complaining about the alert system itself or the time of call. The issue is that I still can't dismiss the alert on either phone as of the writing (16 hours after the alert was sent).

The alert has repeated several time today, and goes off with that wonderful sound every time I reboot. I tried deleting the messages themselves, I've turned off the AA's in settings, but it's still going off. I can turn off my personal phone, but I have a job where I have to be on call 24/7, and turning off my work phone is just not an option for me.

Anyone having this issue, and anyone have a solution? No luck after calling into Rogers tech support.

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can't Dismiss Amber Alert

notmyrealname1
I'm here a lot

For any issue with device getting multiple alerts, it could be related to setting on the device

Some Android devices will offer access to Emergency Alert configuration settings and allow alert reminder either one or several times.

The location of those settings may vary depending on the Device model, OS, and App version.

Customers may find Emergency Alert configuration settings under:

Samsung : Messages > Settings > Emergency Alert Settings

Huawei : Settings > Apps & notifications > Advanced > Emergency Alert Settings

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

RogersMoin

Hello, @Yeegrek.

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community; not able to dismiss the amber alert on both of your phones can be quite inconvenient. Pressing OK on the alert message should result in the acknowledgement of the alert, and it should get moved to your SMS app. 

The last alert I received was at 10:31 AM, and I was able to press OK to acknowledge it. The tech support can't dismiss the alerts remotely. 

Are you still receiving the alert?

Community - anybody else experiencing the same issue?

Thanks,
RogersMoin

Yeegrek
I plan to stick around

It finally went away after a day. I hit "ok" on it every time it went off to dismiss it.

Like I said, I don't question the value of the AA system, but there's clearly bugs to be ironed out. And since I have a work phone that can't be shut off at night or set to "Do not disturb" (because I have to be available for work-related calls 24/7), it's an issue for me. I wish I could opt out of the Amber Alerts on that one phone at least, but it appears that the Alert Ready system overrides all user preferences.

b-ry
I'm a reliable contributor

@Yeegrek, it sounds like a software bug - you may be able to "delete" the alert in the Emergency Alerts master section - on my Pixel that involves me going to Setttings > then searching for Emergency Alerts, and is one of the first queries.
That may bump it as read.

As to your other point - theres a couple things.
Not sure what your on-call requirements are for your work, but you can setup some pretty handy rules for DND - for example if its just one number or set, you can omit that to always bump through DND - there is also the call-twice rule where when the same number calls in x minutes (normally 15 minutes), it will bump out of DND.

But if that doesn't work for your work, there is one workaround to the Amber Alerts. In Canada, Amber Alerts are only transmitted on the LTE network* (could be WiFi too, someone from Rogers would know for sure) - so if DND rules don't work for you, all you need to do to not get the Amber Alerts is switch your phone to not connect to LTE/4G - so H, 3G, HSPA+ or something like that - you'll find that in your mobile network settings, each android phone is a little different. But setting network type to maximum should stop the Amber Alerts on that phone  (and if they come over WiFi too turning off WiFi)

Hope that helps.

Huawei p30 pro Emergency Alerts, EMUI10

I understand the covid crisis is huge. Seriously, I do. But I've received 39(!) Emergency alerts. The same one. Over. And over. And over. Once in English, then again in French. What exactly is going on. (Just got another as I was typing. Grand total of 40.)

Same phone, same issue. I continually press ok to dismiss but nothing.

Hello, @Bobbylongschlon and @gibbymel.

I can appreciate your situation, getting so many alerts, and not able to dismiss them can be quite bothersome. If the alerts are still happening, we can submit a ticket for you. Please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. You can find details about our private messaging in this blog

Regards,

RogersMoin

Bryan2k5
I plan to stick around

Mate 20 Pro - Cannot disable Emergency Alerts?

Hello,

I've attempted to disable all Emergency Alerts, but I'm still not only receiving the alerts, but I'm getting many repeats of them.  Any idea how I can resolve this?

Thanks,

Screenshot_20200404_143450_com.android.cellbroadcastreceiver.jpgScreenshot_20200404_143502_com.android.cellbroadcastreceiver.jpgScreenshot_20200404_143508_com.android.cellbroadcastreceiver.jpg

*** Edited Labels ***

The short answer is, you can't disable the alerts.  

The ISPs have no choice but to broadcast the alerts as received from the emergency alert system.  The ISPs have no control over which provincial authority generates the alerts, when the alerts are generated or how many times they are repeated.  Any complaints should be directed to your local provincial MP.

There is another thread here somewhere where that same question is asked repeatedly and answered in a similar fashion. 

notmyrealname1
I'm here a lot

For any issue with device getting multiple alerts, it could be related to setting on the device

Some Android devices will offer access to Emergency Alert configuration settings and allow alert reminder either one or several times.

The location of those settings may vary depending on the Device model, OS, and App version.

Customers may find Emergency Alert configuration settings under:

Samsung : Messages > Settings > Emergency Alert Settings

Huawei : Settings > Apps & notifications > Advanced > Emergency Alert Settings

Hello @notmyrealname1!

Thank you for posting these tips. I'm sure they will be of help to someone out there!

Regards,

RogersCorey

Rogers ONLY has it tucked away under APPS - MESSAGES - MORE SETTINGS - EMERGENCY ALERTS et voila

EB_FlipPhone
I've been around

For an old fashioned ZTE flip phone use Message->Options->Emergency Alert

Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 11 in conversation