cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android OS has forced me to downgrade my WiFi Network Security 2x

Zigzaggy
I'm here a lot

First I had to go from a Hidden SSID to broadcasting it.
Now I have had to turn off MAC Address filtering.
These are two degrees of WiFi network security that I used to enjoy, but my Android phones will not work correctly with these features.
Really Frustrated, as better Network security is my goal obviously, but this is what has happened as I added new Android phones to my home WiFi network.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Android OS has forced me to downgrade my WiFi Network Security 2x

RogersYasmine

Hello @Zigzaggy,

I see you are new to the Rogers community forums! Welcome!! 😊 

I just have a few questions for you to better understand your situation:

- Are all of your Android devices having these issues? Can you kindly share which specific Android models are experiencing the issues?
- Did the issues appear right after an OS update was completed?
- Which modem do you have? (Eg: CODA, XB6, XB7, etc.)
- I believe that Android does have a MAC randomization feature when connecting to WiFi. By any chance, do you have this enabled? If this is what is interfering with your MAC address filtering then you can try disabling it from your phone WiFi Advanced Settings.

Also, can you please try rebooting both your modem and your Samsung devices (in that order) to see if that makes any difference?

We look forward to your response!

RogersLaura

The MAC Address filtering became an issue with this new Galaxy S21+.
Yes, I had turned off the Randomized MAC Address feature and Yes I restarted the Hitron CGN3 Modem a few times along with restarting the S21+ phone a few times.
This problem remains.
All of my other phones, devices, consoles and computers work fine with MAC Address Filtering.

When I change the Hitron from Allow All to Allow Listed the Galaxy S21+ goes from Connected to Connected Without Internet

Hello, @Zigzaggy

Thanks so much for the additional details.

We have limited control over the Android updates that come from Google. We would recommend providing them with your feedback. They may be able to build a solution in a future update.

RogersTony

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Zigzaggy wrote:

First I had to go from a Hidden SSID to broadcasting it.
Now I have had to turn off MAC Address filtering.
These are two degrees of WiFi network security that I used to enjoy, but my Android phones will not work correctly with these features.
Really Frustrated, as better Network security is my goal obviously, but this is what has happened as I added new Android phones to my home WiFi network.

This is probably due to Wi-Fi MAC Randomization , which was enabled by default in Android 10.  The feature was introduced to enhance privacy when joining public networks and to thwart tracking by those passively listening to probe requests.  However, you should also be able to disable MAC Randomization if it is causing you problems.

One other thing: hiding your Wi-Fi SSID may make you feel better but it won't really enhance your network security, and it can create more problems than it solves.

I can also understand why some may want to implement MAC filtering.  There are valid reasons for enabling it so I won't say to not do it.  However, keep in mind that this measure will not deter a sophisticated attacker.  As a counterpoint, I can also argue that it may even decrease security because at least if a foreign MAC address joins my network, it will stick out like a sore thumb.  An attacker who penetrates your network by cloning a whitelisted MAC address may go undetected.

Zigzaggy
I'm here a lot
Unfortunately, the MAC Address filtering does not work correctly With the MAC Randomizing turned OFF.
Every extra layer of security helps. The stronger or more time intensive the protections are the more likely the hackers will not bother or choose an easier target instead. MAC Address filtering also allows me to set time allowances on each device (such as the ones my children use) so I now miss this useful feature.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Zigzaggy  Sorry, I don't know Android all that well, so I might be missing something.  When you disable Wi-Fi MAC randomization on your phone, what MAC address do you see connecting to your router/access point?  I was wondering if your MAC whitelist contained a locally-administered address rather than your phone's actual address, and perhaps that is why it cannot connect with filtering enabled; you may need to double-check the addresses in your filter list.

Zigzaggy
I'm here a lot
When I disabled MAC Randomization on this new device, the Android OS told me the actual MAC Address for my phone. I then added that MAC Address to the Allow white list. I do see that actual MAC Address trying to connect. But still this one new device does not work correctly. The other ~18 devices work fine, but due to this one new device I have to turn off MAC Filtering entirely.
Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation