cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store Upsell Policy

Mikey74
I've been here awhile

So is it common practice for store employees to upsell the new lighting cables under the basis of “older cables will damage the battery”?
I was at the west Edmonton mall branch recently to upgrade to an iphone 13 pro, while in the store the clerk proceeded to sell me a case, screen protector and charging pad bundle under the basis that i needed a new charger as the old would damage the battery. After looking further into this it turns out that is not true and now u feel that people are being scammed by this.

**Labels Added**

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Store Upsell Policy

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Mikey74 wrote:

1. So is it common practice for store employees to upsell

2. upgrade to an iphone 13 pro,

1. Yes, in almost any store there is pressure to increase profits.  FYI, many of these Rogers stores are privately run.  It is up to the buyer to be educated, do their research, and know when something is necessary or not.  It's the same wherever you go - say an electronics store and extended warranties, a car dealership and undercoating or warranties, or paint protector, etc.

You could probably have purchased one or more of those items online for considerably less. Put this down as a lesson for the future.

2. iPhone 13 Pro - they "saw you coming"...  Anyone spending that amount of money for a phone is a "mark".  Did they sell you AppleCare, or something similar?

Caveat Emptor!

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If Rogers tells you to go jump in a lake would you? nope, you should NOT feel pressured to buy something that you did not go looking for.

A suggestion to buy a nice case or screen protector is a nice common courtesy for them to tell you and yes it is common practice in the industry however you as the consumer to make the decision yes or no.  also lots of sales people will say anything to make a sale so just be prepared for that.

You can pretty much buy your case, screen protector, car charger, earphones etc, online or at another retailer / discount retailer for cheaper, but Rogers wants to be your ONE STOP SHOP, and wants to offer Convenience to you to get everything in ONE Location, ONE Visit, during ONE shopping interaction.   some people probably do not care where they get their case or cables from and that is fine and dandy, but if you have a preference, then do your do diligence. Rogers prices may not be attractive but they want to sell you convenience for sure

Mikey74
I've been here awhile
I get what you are saying but at the same time i didnt realize that store employees are aloud to lie to make extra sales.

Mikey74
I've been here awhile
I wasnt looking to buy a new charging cable but when the store employee tells you that using the old cables will wreck the phone battery what would you do? Yes its my responsibility to know these kinds of things but at the same time is it wrong of me to expect that the store employees dont actually lie about it.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You have a valid point, no one should make deceiving statements to pursue you to purchase something. what you could do is send a complaint to the store manager and ask if you can return the cable as you were misled to purchase it by the sales agent.  I'm sure they would not want to have a bad reputation and would like to resolve your issue,

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation