Security System - Email to Text not working

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Security System - Email to Text not working

Hello,

I've setup my security system to send sms to my rogers cell  xxxxxxxxxx@pcs.rogers.com but the messages never arrive on my cell phone.

Is this service still active? Is there any specific setting that I need to turn on in my phone or on my Rogers account?

Thanks

Darsh

*Edited Labels*

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Security System - Email to Text not working

Hello, @darshm.

Thank you for the update. Would you please send a text Subscribe to 0000000000 (10 zeros)? Reply Yes to the message received. Please wait for a few minutes and try sending an email again to PhoneNumber@pcs.rogers.com. 

Keep us posted on the outcome. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted

Hello, @darshm.

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

I appreciate posting your query in the Community. I have just tested the Email to Text Service (@pcs.rogers.com) by sending an email from my Gmail account; I can confirm that it is active.  

In order to successfully use the Email to text service, you need to be using it from an email client. You may want to check with your security system support if the Email to text service can be used for sending out alerts and notifications etc. 

Community - Please chime in with your expertise on this matter. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you Moin for testing this out. I also just now sent an email from my gmail account to my cell and it did not work.

Highlighted

Hello, @darshm.

Thank you for the update. Would you please send a text Subscribe to 0000000000 (10 zeros)? Reply Yes to the message received. Please wait for a few minutes and try sending an email again to PhoneNumber@pcs.rogers.com. 

Keep us posted on the outcome. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you so much. That got it working.👍
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm trying to setup a Wyze motion detector to email sms text notifications to my Rogers prepaid cell phone. I have the $5/month for 250 domestic text messages add-on with unlimited received text messages.

I figured out the rogers email address is mycellnumber@pcs.rogers.com and have been doing some tests. Unfortunately, I get one message first that says "You have mail from xxxx@mail.com. Please reply with 'Read' to read your message". I do that and then I get the message I actually want to see. So it's a two step process and the few times I tried it the messages came from different senders 30500001, 30500002, 30500003, etc. So adding to contact list won't help.

Is there a way to avoid the first message and just get the email I want with the subject and body included? Are there any additional charges if I do this? I found some posts from around 2012 that said there was a subscription charge for email to sms, but maybe things have changed because I wasn't charged for the test messages I did today.

Thanks for any info or advice. 

*Added Labels*

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

email to text is an old service from back in the day when phones never had email capability, it filled in a missing gap back then but in todays world, phones can easily receive email by adding an email address to your phones email app. why not use this instead? i have heard countless horror stories that email to text is unreliable and not working correctly, i think they have it just because its a legacy service but i dont think they will improve on it.

Highlighted

Hello @impala

Thanks for your post! It's always exciting when you are setting up a new security system. In regards to your question, to avoid the first message, you will need to be subscribed to the $5 add-on. Please see the below information which describes the paid and unpaid options.

$5 Premium Email to Text Service
•Send email to  phonenumber@pcs.rogers.com
•Recipient will receive message seamlessly; no action required.

Free Email to Text Service

The first time you're sent an email to your phone number, you will receive a welcome SMS inviting you to enable the service by replying ‘yes’.

From that point moving forward, you will receive the following SMS alert when a message is received. "You have mail from <email address>. Reply with 'Read' to view your message.

The message will end with <More> if it contains more than 160 characters. To read the entire message, reply ‘M’ or ‘More’

To access the commands, send a text message to "0000000000" (10 zeros) with the word "help" to get a list of the commands.

Hope this helps!

RogersHarry

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Pauly wrote:
phones can easily receive email by adding an email address to your phones email app. why not use this instead? 

Because I don't have a data plan and can't really afford one. Don't you need a data plan to use an email app? If I had data I could just receive notifications from the Wyze device directly and wouldn't need to worry about all this.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Pauly wrote:

email to text is an old service from back in the day when phones never had email capability, it filled in a missing gap back then but in todays world, phones can easily receive email by adding an email address to your phones email app. why not use this instead? i have heard countless horror stories that email to text is unreliable and not working correctly, i think they have it just because its a legacy service but i dont think they will improve on it.

That is a deplorable situation and there's no excuse for it. As a PayGo customer who has to pay $0.30 for every text sent or received and my cellphone sits turned off unless I take it with me when leaving the house, I often used this service to text friends and family members because my desktop computer is never turned off and I only turn my laptop off when I go to bed.  How much is Rogers actually saving by eliminating this service?

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario