cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite Migration & FTTH

gb1234
I plan to stick around

Hello all, I'm currently a legacy cable tv, internet, homephone customer and my plan is up for renewal. Rogers finally (after 3 years) convinced me that their Ignite service is the way to go going forward. I keyed my address in their service search box to see if my address is eligible for the new Ignite service and it is. I signed up for their 1.5 gigabyte internet /tv/homephone service since I have 3 wireless camera's and 1 wireless doorbell along with 3- 4k tv's along with our laptops and iphones and wireless security system. My question is: with this 1.5gb service will I be getting fiber to the house or will I just end up getting the fibre to the neighborhood. I would really like to get the fiber to the house option and be done with it. The tech is coming next week to install everything and I'm paying $110.00 for that (which was waived). If fiber to the home isn't included then how do I get it included?

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ignite Migration & FTTH

gb1234
I plan to stick around

Hi, My question is now solved. I just got FTTH (fibre to the home) installed yesterday. So far loving it as I can now rip out all the old unsightly coax cables and telephone cables inside and outside my house. Its a bit of a learning curve as opposed to my old lagacy cable system but this is the way to go going forward.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The Ignite 1.5 Gigabit Internet service is still DOCSIS / Cable Internet.  Unless you see 2.5 Gigabit Internet with symmetric download/upload speeds available in your area, you will not be getting FTTH.

gb1234
I plan to stick around

Hello, Thanks for your response. When I purchased the package this is what was stated:

Ignite Internet Gigabit 1.5

Ignite Setup and Install: $149.99*

Unlimited usage
Download speeds up to 1.5 Gbps
Upload speeds up to 1.5 Gbps
Pure fibre to your home.

So when it clearly says "pure fibre  to your home" most customers would believe that they will get pure fibre to their home. Are you sure when you say we will be getting DOCSIS and not fibre?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gb1234 wrote:

Download speeds up to 1.5 Gbps
Upload speeds up to 1.5 Gbps
Pure fibre to your home.

Well that definitely would be FTTH.  The question is, as a legacy Internet customer, did Rogers actually bring fibre into your neighbourhood, and is your home really FTTH-ready, or did the agent who submitted your order make a mistake?

The Ignite 1.5 Gigabit service is available as a DOCSIS service, currently with a 50 Mb/s upload speed.  It's also available as a FTTH XGS-PON service, with a 1.5 Gb/s upload speed.  Typically, neighbourhoods with XGS-PON FTTH are also able to get a 2.5 Gbps service, which is not available to Cable Internet customers.

If Ignite 2.5 Gigabit is not available at your address, I would double-check your order confirmation and contact Rogers immediately to confirm whether or not FTTH really is available in your area.

gb1234
I plan to stick around

Hi, My question is now solved. I just got FTTH (fibre to the home) installed yesterday. So far loving it as I can now rip out all the old unsightly coax cables and telephone cables inside and outside my house. Its a bit of a learning curve as opposed to my old lagacy cable system but this is the way to go going forward.

@gb1234 do you have ethernet cabling throughout your home?  If yes, then you're all set.  If you don't, have a close look at the telephone cabling.  If its Cat-5e, which is common for telephone cabling, you can repurpose that cable for ethernet purposes throughout the home. 

Take a look at the following post when you have time, regarding FTTH:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/How-to-disable-Rogers-Ignite-Wifi-Hub-remote-manageme...

You can remove the modem and connect it directly to a router if you so choose.  Only caveat is that you have to keep the modem available to put back into service if you happen to run into any issues, as Rogers will only support a configuration that has the modem connected. 

gb1234
I plan to stick around

I have the old school telephone wire and half the outlets no longer worked anyway. Same for the coax cable half the outlets never worked so I hauling out whatever I can both inside and outside. There's some unsightly cabling on the outside siding so I'm anxious  to say adios.

If you're pulling out the old cabling within the house, you might be able to use them as pull cables, to pull new ethernet cables in. 

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 3 in conversation