cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone and TV Service Pricing for a Senior

Britaniola
I've been here awhile

Hi All

I've been back and forth with Rogers for almost 2 years now, re the ridiculous charge for my senior father who only has a home phone and TV. Over the past 2 years, his bill has increased exponentially. He is now paying 195.00 a month for a home phone and basic TV, they call it VIP, but it is far from that. He doesn't have digital devices, no computers, or fancy cell phones etc. His VIP TV is constant repeats of shows and movies. I actually got him a Roku to help with the boredom.  I pay 140.00 mth for ignite tv and internet. Now how is that fair? Plus, he's been with Rogers over 20yrs now, probably 25 yrs. At one point in communication there were instructions on how to cancel, service if not satisfied. Seriously. No joke. There are so many seniors out there like this, that are not technically inclined etc. 

Rogers should offer a package just for seniors that only have a home phone and basic TV. Rogers is blatantly taking advantage of seniors, especially those who don't understand the ins and outs of the digital world. I am now awaiting a response from the office of the president...omg it's come to this. I shudder at what his response could be. The rep, Toney Williams, did return a call but called my 90-year-old father - he is hard of hearing etc. He did not call me as expected. So I emailed him re the same to no avail and today, I lmsg to call me. Its disgraceful how these corporations take advantage of customers. 

Just putting this out there hoping to find suggestions or someone else with similar experiences.

All the best

Bee

*Added Labels*

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Home Phone and TV Service Pricing for a Senior

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Britaniola : I'm not sure about your dad's particular situation, however many seniors are well off, so simply being a senior doesn't qualify you for a discount with Rogers.  Neither does being a long term client, although that can sometimes give you some leverage when negotiating.

Rogers does, however, have a "connected for success" option for low income earners who qualify.  See the following link:

https://www.rogers.com/connected-for-success

If the senior has difficulty with the latest technology, or how to negotiate, then it often falls on the children (or carer) to step in and help with that.  My brother and I did that for our father who lived to just short of 99.  Just as an FYI, I am a senior in my low 70s.

I'm confused though: In one line you say "only has a home phone and TV." and later you say "I pay 140.00 mth for ignite tv and internet"  Why are you paying for Internet if he doesn't need it?

The most basic package with tv and home phone is $55.  See link below:

https://www.rogers.com/tv/ignite-tv-only

Britaniola
I've been here awhile

Hi there - you're looking good for your age.😁

What i am getting at is I have my own home and services. I pay 140.00 for ignite tv. and internet. My dad has home phone and tv and his paying 193.00.  How is this fair? The content of the TV are always repeat programming and a heck of a lot of reality shows. Rubbish programming for a senior or anyone for that matter.  There is an  ignite tv and home phone pkg 75.00 for tv and 20 for phone. When he first got the new pkg and equipment he was only paying 95.00. Over the past 2 years it has increased to 195.00 and service is the same. Im not saying because hes a senior he should get discounts. The pricing for these services are very unfair. I certainly wouldnt pay 195.00 for rubbish tv programming and a basic homephone pkg. would you? In any case something has to change. Rogers has more complaints in the past year then bell or telus. so something is not right for sure. Im just looking for a fair deal.

thanks

Bee

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Britaniola wrote:

1. My dad has home phone and tv and his paying 193.00. 

2. The content of the TV are always repeat programming and a heck of a lot of reality shows. Rubbish programming for a senior or anyone for that matter. 

1. As indicated in my previous post, there are packages starting at $55/mo.  Switch him to one of the less expensive packages.

2. Rogers is not responsible for the content on TV channels. If you have issues with the content, contact the broadcasters/content providers.

Disclaimer - Rogers does own some TV channels, but it's a small percentage of the hundreds of channels available.  Some people like that "Rubbish". If you, or your dad don't, don't subscribe to it.

@Britaniola I suggest that you contact the moderators to look at the account to determine what can be done to drop the costs.

@CommunityHelps is the group address for the moderators here on the Rogers Forum. When you're logged into the forum, follow this link to the @CommunityHelps page. On that page will be a link on the right hand side to Send a Message. Follow that link to the message composition page. The address will fill in automatically. Fill in the subject and details, including your account number and when the message is complete, hit Send Message at the bottom.

When you're logged into the forum, look for a number overlaying the envelope symbol at the upper right hand corner. That will indicate that there's an inbound message for you. Follow that envelope symbol as it serves as a link to the message inbox and outbox. From the response in the inbox you can then message back and forth as required. There will be an authentication procedure that you will have to complete in order to service any change requests for your account.

To send anyone else on the forum a message, including @CommunityHelps, hover your mouse over their user name and a popup will appear with a link to send a Private Message. Follow that Private Message link to the message composition page and as before the message addressee will fill in automatically. Fill in the subject and details and hit Send Message when you're ready to send the message.

Danzio1
I've been around

I have the same problem with my mom, a senior who only has phone and cable TV and her bill is now 199 with tax.  There is no 55-dollar option.  Let's forgo the issue of good or bad programming because Rogers can't control that.  The issue here is basic cable and the basic phone are too expensive.  After waiting 3 hrs on hold to speak with someone, at a very junior level, and after pushing ignite over and over, there was little to nothing to do.  I got another silly discount for 12 months and have to go through this issue again.  Seniors discount needs to exist.  No relief. will look to replace Rogers and go elsewhere.  not that elsewhere is any better but probably the only way to keep costs down.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Danzio1 wrote:

1. ...only has phone and cable TV and her bill is now 199 with tax

2. There is no 55-dollar option. 

3. Seniors discount needs to exist.  

1. I can almost guarantee you that this $200 package includes Internet, which can be very costly, depending on the package.  As shown in the link below, the most costly TV/Home Phone package would come to $130 plus tax.

2. As discussed earlier in this thread, the $55 is the "Ignite Starter TV" package which shows in the following link as $24.99, but I added the $30 for the required equipment and Home Phone.  On the same page the Popular TV package ($74.99) would come to $104.99 per month.  You must tell the people you're talking to that you don't need Internet and that you want IgniteTV only packages.  Most people have/want Internet, so the CSRs are often not aware of these "TV only" packages.  If you can't get satisfaction when calling in, I suggest you send a private message to the Mods on this forum, also mentioned in this thread.

https://www.rogers.com/tv/ignite-tv-only

3. Again, as discussed earlier in this thread, Rogers has a "Connected for Success" programme for low income people/families.  

JenFrYrEyesOnly
I've been here awhile

People should be aware of this in crtc website 

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/television/acces/

it’s worth a look and be informed. 
I sent a reply to everyone here - I went into detail - funny I don’t see it posted here. 
maybe I should just tweet - I’m tired of rogers reps upselling elderly disabled low income people - so I will be speaking loud about it again soon.

absolutely SENIORS CAN HAVE DISABILITIES  ABSOLUTELY THEY QUALIFY FOR CONNECTED FOR CONNECTED FOR SUCCESS AND MAYBE THE DISABILITY DISCOUNT AMOUNT. 
why on earth are reps upselling when they are suppose to refer people who are elderly low income or disabled and a few other catagories to connected for success and the accessibility office - for lower affordable cell internet cable or ignite tv?
I would never stoop so low.
SHAME 😠on the people that have upselled taken advantage of the vulnerable people - elderly people seniors disabled low income people,  new comers etc. 

I record EVERY PHONE CALL WITH ROGERS GOOD BAD AND AMAZING OR NOT

Please remember to  RECORD YOUR ROGERS PHONE CALLS  & MAKE NOTES.

THEY RECORD CUSTOMERS -YES EVEN ON HOLD YOUR RECORDED -BE CAREFUL OF WHAT YOU SAY OR DO WHILE ON HOLD WAITING FOR ROGERS.😊

Here are the AFFORDABLE CONNECTED FOR SUCCESS PACKAGES IN THE LINK.

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 5 in conversation