cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for invalid text intl mms

Michelneto
I've been here awhile

I have an account with Rogers and I have two numbers with them. They charged me for texting two numbers from the US:
558 198 ****
558 199 ****
Both numbers are invalid and the messages could’t be delivered because the numbers do not exist. I realized that it was a group text message and it was directed to:

+55 (81) 98***-****
+55 (81) 99***-****
I don’t know why, but the carrier only read the first 10 numbers regardless of anything and I ended up paying considerable fees because of this misunderstanding. I chatted to customer service twice and they were cold and dismissive. Said that the charges were valid and would not be refunded.

My point of view is that it sounds unethical of Rogers to charge for texts for non-existent numbers. This feels very scammy and my trust on the company is shaken.

I would like to go further and dispute the charges!

***Edited Labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Charged for invalid text intl mms

RogersMoin

Hello, @Michelneto.

Thank you for joining our Community and sharing your billing concern. 

Seeing unexpected charges can be bothersome. When participating in group messaging with users from the US and other countries, it's important to be aware of potential charges. You may not actively respond to the participants from different countries; however, your responses to other users will be delivered to them, resulting in charges. 

Typically, group messages are converted into MMS, and you will see charges listed as US/Int'l Picture & Video. So, it could be a US or international number. 

If the number is non-existent, you will receive the error: the message(s) can't be delivered. 

I suggest considering adding the US & International long-distance add-on to your lines to avoid future charges and enjoy unlimited US & International Text, Picture & Video Messages.

I appreciate your understanding. 

Regards,

RogersMoin

Michelneto
I've been here awhile

Hello Rogers,

Yes, both numbers are non-existent but I was still charged for the messages.

558 198 ****
558 199 ****

These numbers do not exist and no one could ever have received these texts. I don't understand why would they charge for undelivered messages, as I mentioned in my first post. I should have received this: the message(s) can't be delivered. 

Thanks
Michel

If the number is non-existent, you will receive the error: the message(s) can't be delivered. 

Hi @Michelneto

If the number is saved correctly in the group chat and you are not receiving a bounce-back error message that the message did not go through, then the charges would be valid. Are you being notified that they are not receiving your messages? 

If this is a group chat that you do use frequently, to assist you in not incurring any additional charges, you can look into any of the add-on options as mentioned in the RogersMoins post above.

Thank you

RogersJermaine

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation