cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for Equipment that was Returned

MattMbz
I've been around

I just realized that I've been getting charged for a cable box rental at approximately $12 per month that I had returned in 2017. For 3 years now I've been paying for this rental even though I had returned as it wasn't being used. What are my options?

**Labels Added**

36 REPLIES 36

Re: Charged for Equipment that was Returned

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You can contact Rogers and see what they'll do for you. Based on experience by others, I believe Rogers will often provide a credit for up to a few months for people that don't review their bills properly, but I doubt you'll get credit for 3 years.  Do you have the confirmation document that the box was returned in 2017?  Without that documentation Rogers could say it was never returned...

Snoopy-Dogs
I've been here awhile

I am extremely frustrated to post this note. The customer service is absolutely a rip-off. I have been charged for equipment not returned twice close to 560 $. I have the canada post delivery receipt for the consignment delivered to rogers. The customer service is appalling and just plain lies to reverse the cost.

Is there an ombudsman forum or a moderator who can help here ?

Absolutely frustrated with Rogers.

Greetings @Snoopy-Dogs,

Thanks for being a part of our community and congrats on this being your first post! 👍

Being charged for equipment that has been returned can certainly cause quite an upset...I wouldn't be a happy camper either. 😞

Just to confirm, when was this equipment returned? And when does your tracking info show that we received the equipment at our warehouse? I'm wondering if the charges were applied before we could process the return in our database. 

If you'd like us to have a closer look at your account with you, please send us a Private Message @CommunityHelps so we can get started. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please check out our blog.

Thank you kindly,

RogersLaura

Thanks for reaching out. 

The issue now has been addressed and lot of useful information on this board.

Yes, it has left me with a poor experience. Does not matter as this problem has been addressed.

Legge
I've been here awhile

ROGERS took money from my VISA account after I no longer needed their equipment  but still possessed it.  So I returned the equipment to a ROGERS store,  I was given a receipt for $790.93.  

That was November 26, 2020,  

Am I just being impatient as I wait for the money they owe?  Would ROGERS wait this long for money anyone owed them? 

Should I hold my breath as I wait for the money?

Good evening @Legge,

Welcome to the Community!

$790.93 is a rather significant amount and I would be concerned about the charge too if I were you. Once the equipment has been returned and updated in the system on our end, the charges will automatically be reversed. Depending on your billing cycle and the return date, the credit could be on the next immediate invoice or the following one.

Let us know if you have further questions pertaining to this :).

RogersZia

Hi,

Outstanding Modem Bill After Equipment Returned.

I cancelled my Rogers internet on November 5, 2020. At that time, I also followed all the instructions sent to me and returned my modem to Rogers via Canada post. Canada post tracking confirms that the modem was returned November 9, 2020.

On my next bill though, I was charged an additional $194. When I called Rogers they said it was the modem cost. I've called 4 different lines and all have said to just wait an extra week. It's been almost an extra month and my bill is due Dec 30, 2020. I do not want this to impact my credit score or receive late charges for something I already returned.

Nobody has so far been able to confirm my modem was received or even look into it. I have removed my credit card from my automatic payments as I will not be paying this charge when I have already returned the modem.

Can someone please advise or provide a contact means on how to ACTUALLY get someone at Rogers to do something and investigate this charge? 

Hello @llewellynhuman,

We appreciate you posting your concern here in the community and congrats on this being your first post! 👍

I know there have been some slight delays with processing returns due to the current pandemic, however, I agree that this does seem quite long.

We would love to investigate this further for you to see what's going on! We have responded to your recent PM and are waiting to hear back from you so we can proceed further. 

Looking forward to your response!

RogersLaura

@llewellynhuman wrote:

I cancelled my Rogers internet on November 5, 2020. At that time, I also followed all the instructions sent to me and returned my modem to Rogers via Canada post. Canada post tracking confirms that the modem was returned November 9, 2020.

On my next bill though, I was charged an additional $194. When I called Rogers they said it was the modem cost. I've called 4 different lines and all have said to just wait an extra week. It's been almost an extra month and my bill is due Dec 30, 2020. I do not want this to impact my credit score or receive late charges for something I already returned.

Nobody has so far been able to confirm my modem was received or even look into it. I have removed my credit card from my automatic payments as I will not be paying this charge when I have already returned the modem.

Can someone please advise or provide a contact means on how to ACTUALLY get someone at Rogers to do something and investigate this charge? 

Rogers needs to reverse this charge, zero-out your account and close it immediately.  The problem is that you ABSOLUTELY WILL get hit with late payment charges.  Once Rogers finds your return, they will reverse the charge for the late equipment return but you will still need to contact them again and again to get the late payment charges reversed.  Furthermore, once those late payment charges kick in, it can take MULTIPLE billing cycles to get subsequent late payment charges eliminated from your bill and get your account closed.

Rogers may argue that they cannot reverse the late return charge, since an additional credit will be applied to your account once your equipment return gets processed.  However, since you have cancelled your service, it would be best, for all involved, if Rogers could reverse all charges, close your account, and deal with any other issues that occur afterwards.

Thanks Laura, I appreciate you reaching out. I have been able to resolve the issue after spending 5 hours and 33 minutes on various phone calls with Rogers today. BUT I have finally been able to get confirmation that the charges will now be removed.

I can't believe that it required so much time and effort to get something so simple sorted out, but I'm very pleased that this issue is finally resolved now. 

Hi,

I moved on December 1st 2020. I cancelled my TV and upgraded to the Ignite TV modem. I put the TV and old internet modem into my car, and then completely forgot about it, cuz ya know, pandemic and all and I never leave the house. 

Yesterday I received a call from collections about my modems. First of all, it hasn't been 3 months (which I understand is the timeframe before something gets sent to collections) and secondly, I did not receive any kind of reminder about my modem which would've helped greatly because I was ready to return it. 

Finally, the same day I have a charge go through on my credit card for 650$ for the modems. Why would you send me to collections if you were planning on collecting your $ anyway?? 

This is going to screw up my credit and I now need to deal with some lady calling me non stop. 

I just returned the modems and got a receipt. Will the transaction be reversed/refunded? 

There's a pandemic going on. No one has 650$ laying around, this money gets taken right out of my grocery bill fund and has serious impacts on people's livelihoods. 

You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Hello @ilovexmas,

Welcome to the Community!

I can imagine how inconvenient this experience has been for you. Once the equipment has been received and updated on our end, the unreturned equipment charges will be reversed automatically. 

To identify why the account was sent to collections, I would need to review the account. Since the Community is a public platform I would recommend you to reach out to us via PM @CommunityHelps for further assistance. 

For more information on our private messaging system check out our blog.

RogersZia

No resolution yet for charges still on my account for equipment returned in Nov

Good day, @SD128!

Thanks for being part of our community forums and congrats on your first post with us! 🙂

Receiving charges for equipment that was returned quite some time ago can certainly be alarming. By any chance, did you hold on to your receipt which provides your tracking number? If so, does it show that the equipment was successfully received by us when you track the shipment online? 

There have been a few delays with shipping and returns due to the current pandemic, however, I'd think we should have received the equipment back by now. If possible, please send us a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please check out our blog.

Kind regards!

RogersLaura

We upgraded to Ignite and returned our equipment. On our December bill there was a $500 charge for unreturned equipment. I contacted Rogers and they initiated a search. I received an email stating that the equipment was located and the charge reversed. I thought that was the end of it. Not so much. Our next bill doesn’t have the adjustment. Then we start receiving emails and phone calls from the credit department that we owe money. I took one of the calls and told them that I have an email stating the equipment was found and the charge was to be reversed. No help at all. I call back and speak with another agent (after waiting for a call back for 2.5 hours) and spending 40 minutes on the phone with him to finally have him say that he found the email stating the equipment was found and the credit should appear within 48 hours. I wait 72 hours and not really a surprise, the credit has not shown. I initiate a chat where I’m told that the credit department or billing (I can’t remember what department the person mentioned) would not approve any further attempts at a credit as it has to come from the warehouse

So, no heads up that there was going to be an unreturned equipment charge. Rogers dropped the ball because they did get the equipment. I get confirmation that the charge will be reversed which has yet to happen. I also get charged a late payment fee (which I was told will be reversed, but I don’t have much faith with Rogers at this point). Rogers is pretty aggressive when they think you owe them money, but when they owe us money, we get the run around. And no offer of any compensation due to having to come up with the money to cover the bill or the stress of seeing the unreturned equipment charge appear on the bill when I know it was returned and was actually at the warehouse or wherever returned equipment goes the entire time. Still waiting for my credit Rogers!

Hello @Andmax2007,

Thanks for being a part of our community and we appreciate your post! 🙂

I agree that it is extremely odd that you'd still be receiving bills for equipment that was confirmed by us as returned, especially after we advised that the charges will be reversed. Just a few questions for you, if you don't mind:

When was the email sent to you confirming receipt of the returned equipment? What equipment did you return to us? (TV box, internet modem, home phone modem, etc.). What equipment are you being charged for on your invoice?

We would like to investigate this further for you, and hopefully, get to the bottom of it! If possible, please send us a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can get started. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please check out our blog.

Thank you,
RogersLaura

Yes the equipment has been returned, November 16. I have all details regarding this matter from 2 months of frustration in getting this sorted out with charges still on my bill. I have been told repeatedly that it would be off the next bill, with charges now appearing on a third one. I have used live chat, share a concern and even office of the president. I am still getting calls from credit operations regarding this as well.

larryjcai
I've been here awhile

Hello,

Just noticed my balance for internet is $282.44. I chated with an agent online and was told this is the charge for unreturned modem. I upgraded my Rogers internet service in Feb and retuned the old modem on Feb 8. I have receipt with the tracking number showing the modem was arrived on Feb 18. However, the agent insisted that I have to pay for the modem if they cannot locate it in the warehouse. That is not the way Rogers should do, I am ripped off, really frustrated. Is there anyone can help to resolve this?

I suggest first off to be very patient, it took them a month to find my returned equipment (returned in November found in January) then another 3 billing cycles for the charges to finally be removed. I also suggest using the live chat and/or share a concern to escalate your concern and get the late charges removed, which can be done immediately. Also make sure if Rogers Credit does call you let them know they need to stop calling. I did have to do that as well multiple times. I did not pay the charges but stuck it out until finally this bill has the charges reversed. Yes it was very frustrating and often time consuming but knowing I was correct made me persevere. Good luck

larryjcai
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the info. The issue was resolved throught Community Help. I got an email from Rogers indicating they found the device and will remove the charge. Hopefully, I don't have late/interest charge. Thanks to the Community Help for their quick response and efforts for resolving this.

Topic Stats