cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t Get Rogers Internet Alongside Bell... I Really Don’t Get It

dlindop
I'm here a lot

I currently have Bell Wifi, which I'm happy with.

We decided to change our TV to Rogers for the Ignite feature (being able to speak into the controller to find suitable movies, etc.).

Once the Ignite TV was installed, we discovered there was no streaming, so we couldn't get Netflix, etc. We'd already told the Rogers sales people that we basically wanted the same thing we were previously getting with Bell.

We were told we had to get a Rogers internet package. OK. I was also told it had to be 150 MPS (my research indicates about 25 MPS is enough) or the existing TV channels would stutter. OK. So we said let's get an internet package.

Now the crux of the matter. Rogers refuses to install the internet server unless we get rid of our Bell Wifi. I can see no reason why we can't run two WiFi networks in our home (offices do it) and I am not going to cancel our Bell Wifi since we need it for our home business. In the past week, the Rogers TV has already been down for several hours due to 'power outage'.

So, I guess we uninstall the Rogers TV and go back to Bell TV and forget about the voice commands until Bell has a similar feature..

*Added Labels*

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Can’t Get Rogers Internet Alongside Bell... I Really Don’t Get It

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor

In your other thread (Rogers IgniteTv package makes no sense), @G made several assumptions that are most likely correct, based on the fact that Rogers wouldn't install the Internet Wifi portion.

As was mentioned in another thread by one of the Rogers mods, the tv entertainment box will let you watch Rogers IgniteTV (powered by the Internet), but you can't use the apps to do any streaming unless your Gateway box has the 150 or more, Ignite Internet service working.

So you obviously did a Rogers self install of the standalone IgniteTV service first, and then had to get a Rogers tech to come over to install the Ignite Internet (so you could stream Netflix etc with voice commands), since you could initially only tap into the Rogers Internet wifi via your computer.

Still no official answer as to why Bell and Rogers can't live in perfect harmony, and thus no Internet sale for Rogers.

By the way, Bell does have a new Android box with voice control remote capability, but I'm not sure if it's initially limited to certain subcribers, or open to everybody. If you go to the Bell forums, you'll notice many complaints about the voice remote and box itself. However, now that the new Bell Android box has been out for a while, some of the bugs have been fixed, and other bugs are perhaps being worked on.

My guess is that Rogers IgniteTV would be better (assuming that you get a good Rogers wifi signal), but I could be wrong.

Since your Bell Internet wifi already works well for you, I wouldn't risk switching to Rogers wifi either.

So if you want to Stream Netflix, etc., with voice commands, you could try Bell's new Android box, and then switch to a regular Fibe box if you don't like the Android box (just make sure that Bell will let you switch back). I'm not sure if you need to get your Bell Internet service altered somehow to work with the new Android box, but just call Bell, or ask for help in their forums.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dlindop  You seem to be using the term "WiFi" synonymously with "Internet", and that may have caused some confusion.  (Internet is the worldwide network; WiFi is the wireless network that your devices connect to)

There is absolutely no problem with having both Bell and Rogers Internet services active simultaneously.  Customers do it all the time.  Customers who need ultra-reliable Internet will have both Cable and DSL services installed, for redundancy.  Customers switching from Bell to Rogers (and vice versa) will often have both services active until they have confidence in their new service.

dlindop
I'm here a lot

Well, tell that to the Rogers customer support personnel. They are refusing to install the Rogers WiFi until we get rid of Bell. I think actually just trying to wait us out.

dlindop
I'm here a lot

Actually, the Rogers technician came in to install the initial TV boxes. He had to get help to restring the overhead wire to get a connection. It was after the initial service was installed we realized we couldn't access a lot of what we wanted (and had told the sales people we wanted) and simply got the "Requires Rogers High Speed Internet" message. When we asked about this, they sent another technician to hook up the Internet. He came in and then explained things wouldn't work if the TV was hooked up to the Bell network.

We were told it would be a simple thing to get the Rogers Internet and I would then just have to unplug the network box and plug it in again. We then followed up with Tech support. It took about an hour and a half, being passed from one person to another. Finally, I was told they couldn't make any change at this point because the original work order hadn't gone through. So wait a few more days. When we subsequently went back to the sales office to say we'd go ahead and get the Rogers Internet installed, we were told they couldn't do that because we had Bell Internet installed. That's when I gave up - especially since the Rogers TV had gone down for several hours at one point and, I gather from the sales people, this is a frequent problem. I can't afford that when we're doing business over the Internet on a daily basis.

So, we'll get Rogers to uninstall the (five) tv boxes and it's back to Bell. Although some of the sales people were very nice, I'm disappointed with the overall process and the amount of wasted time.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion about the Android box. That will be my next venture. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dlindop  I think that part of the problem is that you were dealing with non-technical "sales" agents and more technical "tech support" agents, neither of whom properly validated what you wanted from your service and what issues you were trying to address.

If you still want to try the full Ignite TV experience before cancelling your service, send a private message to @CommunityHelps  to see what it will take to get Ignite Internet active on your account.  Rogers basically needs to re-provision the network aspects of your service -- you already have access to the Rogers network; Rogers just needs to make some changes so that you can get Internet access through your Rogers Ignite modem/gateway.  Once they reconfigure your service on their systems, you will need to reboot (power-cycle) your modem for those changes to take effect.

One other thing if you are still seriously thinking of going back to Bell:  For voice commands to work on the Fibe TV set-top boxes, you need to link them to a Google account, since their voice commands are processed through Google Assistant.  Some people have a problem with that.  Also, their voice integration and their integration with other streaming services is not as complete or as seamless as what you will get with Ignite TV.

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor

Wow! This thread (and the OP's related one), had many twists and turns, and will end up helping a lot of future Rogers and Bell customers.

I've previously had multiple Internet providers in my home at the same time, but since IPTV adds so many wrinkles to the mix, I would have been fooled, and given up much sooner than the OP did.

The OP deserves some kind of medal for keeping his/her sanity through all of this.

5 IgniteTV boxes to mail back? Or will Rogers pick them up as a courtesy for time (wasted) served.

I assume that an Office of the President agent, or even one of the community mods might offer 4 free boxes for a year, and the 5th tv box and Gateway for the regular $10 fee for each, perhaps.

It's unfortunate that there were also IgniteTV signal problems while the OP used it, but since it's been less than 30 days, I assume the OP won't be charged at all ... Unless there's a temporary charge for missing equipment, while it rests quietly in a Rogers' warehouse, waiting to be found.

I've heard of Chat GPT, but Rogers needs to fire Anna, and perhaps replace her with Chat @G RE (and other Resident Expert bots). 👏

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm pretty sure Rogers techs are not trained to tell you to get rid of Bell internet if you are ordering Rogers internet. This is definitely not a company directive, however it could be a local management directive to the local employees within a certain department, but it also seems to be morally wrong to tell a customer they can not have a competitors service in their own house and I'm sure if  certain legislation existed regarding this it would also be in breach.

You CAN have Bell internet (Its called Bell Internet, not Bell Wi-Fi) alongside Rogers Ignite TV and Internet, it is NONE of their business who is using Bells services and why.  For all we know a family member could be living in your basement and has their own Internet separate from yours.

If you get Rogers Ignite TV, unfortunately you NEED to have Rogers ignite internet for the apps and such to work, its the same with bell, bell tv only works with bell internet.   if u dont like this, just complain to the CRTC not bell or rogers

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation