cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being asked to pay for unknown account

isshe
I've been around

Hello,

I'm here asking for help. For the past couple of months no one has been able to give me any guidance including Rogers.

Last year I signed up for internet service with Rogers. I live in Ontario and that was the only service I had with Rogers. Few months down the line a second account got added to my rogers account for a phone line in Nova Scotia. I don't live there and don't know anyone there. I disputed it with rogers and they said it was a mistake and had it removed from my account. 1 week later and its back on my account. This happened a total of 3 times. 

I reported this to the fraud department 3 times and each time they said thanks for brining this to our attention. We will investigate and give you details in 1 week. 3 different times and rogers never gave me any information on my fraud cases.

Few months ago I started receiving calls from some collections agency that I need to pay my balance of $227 for a line I didn't even own. I tried to dispute it and they were insisting its me even though I don't live in the province of NS nor have anything to do with line. They took it back and said they will look into the case again.

Today, i get an email from Affinity Global that I need to pay my outstanding balance for the same line. 

What can I do about this since no one seems to listed about this or even cares?

***Edited Labels***

1 REPLY 1

Re: Being asked to pay for unknown account

KobiC
I plan to stick around

Hi Isshe,

From what you described here. My take is you have a very common first & last name. Common name accounts can be mixed together sometimes with all companies and the credit bureau.

I know from experience calling the fraud department will not help. They direct customers to call the customer service line where a fraud investigation is created. After 4 business days the fraud investigation will confirm if the account belongs to a paying customer or was opened fraudulently with your information.

My best suggestion would be to call Rogers' customer service line & specifically let them know the account appearing under your name belongs to another customer OR is fraud against you, and that you would like a fraud investigation to correct this.

I know you called the fraud team 3 times about this. But it sounds like only once was Customer Care asked to create a fraud investigation.

In addition, I would suggest to connect with every credit bureau that has mixed your information with another person & file a dispute. The link below is what Equifax says to do if an individual believes their credit file was mixed with someone else.

(What to do if I believe my credit file was mixed with someone else?)

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 in conversation