cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flickering Black box on top of screen directly caused by Rogers

SIRTOXIC
I'm here a lot

Watching TV is impossible for quite a while now due to a large and wide black box that looks like a film camera reel roll flickering rapidly on top of the screen. The only way to make it go away temporarily is to use the remote to show the channel info. That makes it disappear for anywhere from 5 seconds to 30 minutes.
The reason I can confirm that this is Rogers issue is because the only way to interact with it (make it go away) is via the Rogers TV onscreen channel info, so it is connected to Rogers.
Does anyone else have this problem? I can show pictures of it.

20220515_103339.jpg20220515_103404.jpg

***Added Labels***

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Flickering Black box on top of screen directly caused by Rogers

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thanks for including a picture. 

Does this happen on all channels? 

Do you have closed captioning turned on?  CC can sometimes cause these sorts of issues with the incorrect CC settings or improper CC feed on a particular channel. 

If it happens on all channels, then I'm at a loss.  Have you rebooted the TV box?  What is the make and exact model number of the box?

Re: Flickering Black box on top of screen directly caused by Rogers

SIRTOXIC
I'm here a lot

Hello! There is no CC turned on. That's the subtitles, I don't have that.

I tried it on CP24, and it happens there, in the same sized box, but this one has a different effect inside, it was some wavy blue lines inside the box.

I have rebooted the box, however, it is also prone to rebooting itself. Sometimes suddenly the screen goes into a bunch of different colors and then the box reboots.

The box is an old Explorer 8300HD. I purchased it outright at a Best Buy over a decade ago. I have suspicions that the problem might be due to it being an old box, I am wondering and curious though, if someone would have any precise information about this issue, to give me some concrete advice.

I was thinking perhaps it is a more broad problem that others are experiencing as well.

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation