cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lobby channel & Ignite

Mat888
I've been here awhile

Hello - I have Ignite internet and have the Ignite white modem, but no TV box (did not subscribe to it).  I connected from teh wall socket directly to my television coax input and find I can receive some signals, including, on a sometimes intermittent basis, my condo lobby channel,which allows me to see visitors.  I also can receive some radio channels on my TV when I scan through channels.

The lobby channel shows as 96.1 on my channel scan while the radio channels show as 98.xxx. 

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what these channels represent?  Why does it show as 96.1 or 98.xxx?  In the past, I've found the lobby channel showing up in other channels like 97.xx.  I know the lobby channel is supposed to be 988 or 998 if you have the Rogers box, so I'm wondering if anyone can explain how the 96.1 on my TV maps to or is related to channel 988.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Lobby channel & Ignite

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Mat888 : When you scan for channels with your TV's tuner, the channels that you receive are similar to what you would receive if you scan for OTA (over the air) channels with an antenna, however, what you are seeing are unencrypted channels from Rogers at those particular frequencies.  I'm not sure why you are seeing any channels other than perhaps the lobby watch channel, but I'm guessing that Rogers simply doesn't care if those channels are encrypted or not.  Rogers obviously encrypts all the other "valuable" channels, so you need a subscription and a Rogers box (or other device depending on the service) to receive the encrypted channels.

Channel 988 or any of the channels on the Rogers boxes doesn't actually represent any frequency.  It is simply a number. For example on Digital Cable certain channels are on certain QAM frequencies, but may be viewable by tuning into various channels. For example CTV channel 8 is also available on channel 518, etc.   There is a lot of duplication on Digital Cable (I'm not sure if it's similar on Ignite) because Rogers provides channels in the "old" position that people were used to (like channels 3, 7, 8, etc) as well as grouped together by genre. For example, all the news channels may be grouped together, same for movies, kids, timeshift, sports, etc.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Mat888 : When you scan for channels with your TV's tuner, the channels that you receive are similar to what you would receive if you scan for OTA (over the air) channels with an antenna, however, what you are seeing are unencrypted channels from Rogers at those particular frequencies.  I'm not sure why you are seeing any channels other than perhaps the lobby watch channel, but I'm guessing that Rogers simply doesn't care if those channels are encrypted or not.  Rogers obviously encrypts all the other "valuable" channels, so you need a subscription and a Rogers box (or other device depending on the service) to receive the encrypted channels.

Channel 988 or any of the channels on the Rogers boxes doesn't actually represent any frequency.  It is simply a number. For example on Digital Cable certain channels are on certain QAM frequencies, but may be viewable by tuning into various channels. For example CTV channel 8 is also available on channel 518, etc.   There is a lot of duplication on Digital Cable (I'm not sure if it's similar on Ignite) because Rogers provides channels in the "old" position that people were used to (like channels 3, 7, 8, etc) as well as grouped together by genre. For example, all the news channels may be grouped together, same for movies, kids, timeshift, sports, etc.

Mat888
I've been here awhile

Hi - thanks for the explanation!

Ross_W
I plan to stick around
I have a similar setup in my Condo. Our Condo is signing another contract soon. I took my old black ignite router,home phone router and the digital box given to us for signing a previous contract.
My new white ignite router uses one tv outlet in my bedroom. There is another one in the living room unused at the moment.
I have an old Explorer 8300HD I bought from Rogers about 12 years ago and it was connected to my bedroom TV until I got the new ignite router. Can I cable the wall outlet in the living room to the 8300HD and connect it to an HDMI input on the living room TV without disturbing anything in the router and Home phone? The new HDMI REMOTE PAD will be on my bedroom TV. I’m paying for Rogers TV service in my Condo fees and this would be the only way to have access to it if it works

Ross_W
I plan to stick around
Yes. I tested the 8300 and I get all the Condo channels given to us by using the living room cable outlet. For the new setup on Ignite I get the absolute minimum channels. I chose this so it wouldn’t break my Rogers contract,increasing the amount. But I did this not knowing the Condo Board was going to renew a new contract until last week. So the TV in my bedroom is running on the router pad.
For the time being, OTA TV will do just fine for the oldie TV Programs on this TV until I investigate if I should be getting the full Condo package I get in the Living room.
Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation