cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digtal Box (NextBox 3.0) not transmitting 5.1 sound

ArianK
I plan to stick around

Now, allow me to preface this inquiry by stating that I am well aware that this issue has been brought up as well as addressed many times before on this forum alone, especially when the NextBox 3.0 had just come onto the market.

However, no matter which solution I try my hand at, nothing changes. I've tried setting the audio on Dolby Digital, I've tried setting the audio on Other, I've tried changing the resolution to 1080i from 1080p because I've heard that fixes it (though I don't know how or why) but no, nothing. I also messed with Audio Range, Volume Control, Audio Language, you name it, I've tried it.

It doesn't help that, as you can see here, there aren't many options to choose from on the Navigatr software.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated. I'm not asking for much in my opinion. Anything I do gives me weaker than expected audio.

-Arian

***Edited Labels***

1 REPLY 1

Re: Digtal Box (NextBox 3.0) not transmitting 5.1 sound

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here are my comments and questions.

1. What is the exact make model of your AVR (Audio Video Receiver)?

2. How are you connected from the NextBox 3 to the AVR? (Optical, HDMI?)

3. I assume you're connected directly to the AVR and not "through" the TV.  If you are going through the TV, what is the exact make/model of that TV?

4. Not all channels have DD5.1.  Channels like 3, 7, 8 and most HD channels have DD5.1, but not all.  For example CP24 is not DD5.1, it is DD2.0.

5. The correct setting is Dolby Digital.  It's the only one that matters.

6. All of the other things you tried have no effect on DD5.1 signals via a digital connection like optical or HDMI to an AVR.

7. I assume you're getting some audio to the AVR.  How do you know the signal is not DD5.1?  Is there a light or indication on the front panel of the AVR?

8. Have you invoked the correct surround sound processing on the AVR - for example Dolby Pro Logic II?

9.  Do you get DD5.1 from any other equipment/sources?

10. Have you run the test tones on the AVR to ensure that you're getting audio from all your speakers?

11. Do you have surround sound speakers and do they work when DPLII is invoked in the AVR?  Some programming has more surround sound than others. For example action movies vs. News.

12. Does the dialogue come out the centre channel speaker on most programming?

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 in conversation