cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Cable Boxes Keep Becoming Faulty.

acPK7
I've been here awhile

Our condo signed a bulk contract a year ago. Not sure why they would sign a contract with something that was being phased out and replaced by ignite. Hence we are supplied with refurbished boxes which I need to replace about once a month. It is a real dog and pony show having no tv until i receive a replacement AND then lose all my recordings AND having reprogram said recordings. I feel that i am the only one having this issue. Any thoughts why this happens? I have a 3 year old 55” smart Samsung. Is my tv too big for the box to handle? Does it maybe have anything to do with my internet hookup and running my ipad and phone off of it? Someone suggested this may be the case. Rogers says solutionis to upgrade to ignite but then I am double paying. Am at a loss

*** Edited Labels ***

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Digital Cable Boxes Keep Becoming Faulty.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@acPK7 wrote:

1. Our condo signed a bulk contract a year ago.

2. Not sure why they would sign a contract with something that was being phased out and replaced by ignite.

3. Hence we are supplied with refurbished boxes which

3a I need to replace about once a month.

4. I have a 3 year old 55” smart Samsung. Is my tv too big for the box to handle?

5. Does it maybe have anything to do with my internet hookup and running my ipad and phone off of it? 

1. You may need to contact Rogers in a different way but I'm not sure about that.  Rogers will let you know.

2. The condo probably didn't want to make any changes until they had to as it can cause disruption and cost $.

3. It is extremely rare that the cause of issues is the box. It's almost always the signal to the box that is the problem. See the following link:  You can contact Rogers and/or check the signal yourself.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Archived-Posts/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-...

3a.  Definition of insanity...

4. The size of the TV makes no difference.  I have 75".

5. No, other than the fact that an additional split of the cable causes some signal loss which would be evident when checking the signal at the cable box.

acPK7
I've been here awhile

Thanks I have done myself and also checked by Rogers

acPK7
I've been here awhile

have no split

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just something to think about. Those set top boxes are not being made anymore, any inventory they have is usually a device that was returned from a former customer and re-tested and certified and deemed working.  Now just because its working does not mean it will last forever, These electronics have been in circulation for possibly years and eventually electronics wear out and can die over time.   If all they can do is replace anytime it goes faulty then just keep exchanging it over and over, nothing else you can do unless you want to migrate to ignite

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 in conversation