cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Home Monitoring - Camera Continuous Recording

Daver99
I plan to stick around

I have has this for a few months now, and I purchased an SD card so that I could record and store video 24x7.  My understanding from the technician is that the card would overwrite when full.  I am having problems with this feature.  My card seems to fill up and stop recording which is not very useful?  Is this truly the case?

Overall, the system works fairly well, but even though the tablet has a battery backup, unless you plug your Smart Home hub & camera into a UPS, your system is pretty much useless.

38 REPLIES 38

Re: Smart Home Monitoring - Camera Continuous Recording

RogersTony

Hello, @Daver99

Ensuring that your camera is recording properly is an important aspect of your alarm system so we definitely want to look into this for you to see what's happening.

We do not have any reports of any issues with the 24/7 recording on the Cameras. it should be overwriting the old content with new content once the card is full. Do you recall it ever working as described or did you only just notice it was not recording once the card is full?

Where did you purchase the SD card from? What size and type of card are you using?

Regards,

CommunityHelps

RogersTony

Daver99
I plan to stick around

I purchased a Kingston Digital Select 64GB microSDXC Class 10 UHS-I 80MB/s R 10MB/s W Flash Memory Card with Adapter in June.  

I noticed that it stopped recording last week (stopped in Aug).  I deleted the contents of the card and rebooted the tablet this past weekend.  Recording stopped again on Wednesday.  Today I deleted all of the video and recording has restarted.

Hello again, @Daver99

Can you confirm if the SD slot on the Touchpad you are using is a Micro SD slot or if it is the Full SD slot? If it is the Full SD slot are you using the Micro SD in the Adaptor to do the continuous recording?

Looking forward to your response!

RogersTony

Daver99
I plan to stick around
I am not using the adapter, just the micro SD card.

Greetings @Daver99!

In a circumstance such as this, it's possible there's an issue with the card itself. Have you tried using another card to see if it overwrites when full? Testing another card would be the best way to confirm if it's an issue with our hardware/software or the SD card. 

Regards,

RogersCorey

Daver99
I plan to stick around

The card works fine is my PC, formats with no errors.  I am not really interested in paying another $30 to determine if your equipment is working or not.

Thanks for the advice.

Hello again, @Daver99

I can understand where you are coming from, having to buy yet another SD card would be quite the inconvenience. We'd like to have a technician out to inspect this for you and ensure the Touchscreen is working properly.

Please send a Private message to @CommunityHelps so we can gather your information and make arrangements for the service call.

We look forward to your Private message!

RogersTony

Daver99
I plan to stick around

@RogersTony  Thank you!  I will follow up.

WPJ
I've been here awhile

You are correct this happens all of the time, their system is broken and they refuse to fix it

ELYC
I've been around

I have it for over a year and it is never fixed. The console decides when to start and stop recording. I am waiting to see my contract through and change to another security company.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just about any of the 'security' companies that provide systems like rogers one (the core sensors, home automation, etc) while they do have cameras, are more designed for small clips,  or for more like monitoring.  They are not really designed for full DVR style recording.

Taking a look at the other major ones (which by chance now are both owned by BELL and Telus..).
Telus appears to use the same hardware as bell (at least the touchpad), but you cant see what hardware they use.
Bell has cameras.. but by default they are the same like rogers it seems.  If you want much longer recordings, they do have a unit which will store more continual recordings.  But it does cost $375.

For other longer 24/7 recordings, you need to look at some of the other options.
There are ones like the ones which businesses use.  Usually more wired (but there are some wireless ones).  But have much longer recording periods.  
Then  you go to your Nest, etc style ones.  Which will do 24/7, but its all cloud based, and you have to pay a subscriptions service for.

While I do have rogers cameras myself, they are set for triggered recordings.  (take a video when door is unlocked, etc)  I got a ARLO set for recording otherwise.  the ARLO offers 7 day full recordings on their dvr unit.  You can back up further with a USB plugged into the unit (just cant cloud access).

brads02
I've been here awhile

Sd card Formatting,

Not sure if anyone can help me. When I put the microSD card into the Touchpad it formats, when I take the microSd card out put it in the adapter and put in my computer my computer immediately says it needs formatting and deletes everything. This happens constantly, haven't been able to get any video whatsoever

Hello, @brads02

I know how important it is to be able to view the 24/7 recordings from your Smart Home Monitoring system so I definitely want to help you and ensure this stops happening.

This functionality is actually by design. For your privacy, the Touchscreen encrypts the video file on the SD card. Only the Touchscreen can de-encrypt the video file so it can be viewed on other devices. This is done by inserting a USB drive into the Touchscreen, navigate to the view recordings screen on the Touchscreen, on the top left corner of the screen there should be a watermarked labeled Save to USB. You will have to enter the Master Code to download the de-encrypted video file to your USB drive which can then be viewed on any device.

If the Touchscreen did not encrypt the video file then anyone who has access to your home can simply pop out the SD card and now have up-to a week worth of recordings from you home.

Let the Community know if you have any issues downloading the video files to your USB drive.

RogersTony

kky29
I plan to stick around

When I click on Save to USB on the right hand corner of touch screen, I get the message 'no USB found'. And I have tried putting many different USB to save down the video from SD card on touch screen. Do you know why it might be happening.

Good evening @kky29,

Thanks for your post! I hope you're doing well and staying safe. 

I understand your concern surrounding the storage from your videos to a USB key and we want to help you resolve it. To do so, I will need more information from you:

• Are you able to successfully save videos on other platform, such as a tablet or smartphone, for example?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you performed since noticing the issue?

Looking forward to your reply!

RogersMaude

kky29
I plan to stick around

Thanks for your response.

I can see the video on Rogers Touchpad. As this is a recording on SD card, I can not view it on Rogers Smart Home monitoring app on my phone. Because this is not part of like 30 seconds video recording.

I tried taking SD Card out of Touchpad and putting it in computer. When I put it on computer, it gives error that disk is write protected. It is 64 GB Class 10 SD card and worked before. And now when I put it back in Touchpad, it does not recognize. Even after putting it in the slot, the Touchpad says 'please put the SD Card in. I checked the SD card, it is not in locked position.

Another question. It records only one camera. Is Rogers thinking of adding capability of simultaneously recording from more than one camera.

Thanks for your help,

Hello, @kky29

Thank you for the additional information. 

Downloading the video files from the Touchscreen to a USB drive is the only method available to decrypt the video file and allow for viewing and storage on other devices. It is strange that it would not recognize the USB drives that you tried. Have you attempted a reboot of the Touchscreen by going into Settings then Advanced Settings and then Reboot Touchscreen?

If you have removed the SD card from the Touchscreen without disabling the recording first then it could be possible that the data in the SD card may be corrupted and will need to be properly formatted before it can be used again. It is recommended not to remove the SD card for the Touchscreen as the data cannot be viewed anywhere else. If you must remove the SD card for any reason, please ensure the recording to the SD card is disabled first by clicking the red REC icon in the camera viewing screen.

At this time, we only have the ability to record continuously from one camera. We have not been advised of any changes to this but we will ensure to keep the Community updated should that change.

RogersTony

shalchia
I've been here awhile

I have had this issue for 2 years. Still no fix. 

I had some contractors who took the money and fld. I was hoping I could at least share the video with Police. Nothing was recorded. I changed the SD card, it worked for a while.

After a month or so there was a police request for security camera recording of an incident on our street. When I tried to look for the video at the date and time of the incident I realized nothing is being recorded again. 

Rogers Home Monitoring has failed me every single time when it came to security. 

The only time they reached out to me was when they wanted to charge me for the extra stuff they had given me to lure me into a contract! Their service is rubbish, it gives you a false sense of security and a lot of headaches and pains. 

kky29
I plan to stick around
Sorry to hear. Yeah, their recording system needs to improve a bit. Other companies which offer simultaneous recording of more than one camera, on hard drive on computer are good. I am thinking of going to those providers.

kky29
I plan to stick around
Ultimately the rebooting of touchscreen pad worked for me. The same SD card is working now. Thanks for all your help,
Topic Stats